Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 19, 2017   #1
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Default Naked Seeded Pumpkins

I planted three varieties this spring attempting to grow them on an old gate that we put up on one side of the garden. I managed to get some of them on the gate and then they grew into the St Augustine grass (at least it kept them off the soil as they tend to rot quickly). The elongated one is Beppo F1. The small one is Naked Bear F1 (these two were from Terratorial). The chunky one with green stripes is Pepitas Hybrid AAS (Parks).

Yesterday I decided to try and dry, then roast some so I picked the smallest one-Naked Bear. It pays to cut to one side of the stem and try to just go through the fleshy portion. Otherwise you slice a bunch of seeds in half. They were scooped out with a spoon and moved to a colander in the sink where we washed and removed as much of the orange stingy tissue as possible. Then we spread them out on cookie sheet with a paper towel to soak up some of the moisture. My wife thinks we may try parchment paper next time. We gave them another cleaning and left them on the cabinet to dry. They got an occasional stirring and a clean paper towel but it took all day for them to dry.

Just before bedtime we cranked the oven up to 350 degrees, put the seeds in a bowl, sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and then put them on a cookie sheet in the oven. The instructions we found on line indicated it could take 15 to 25 minutes to toast (brown) them and that they should be taken out of the oven every 10 minutes to stir and check for browning.

We left them out after 20 minutes oven time but they likely could have stood the other 5 minutes. After they cooled we put them in a closed plastic container to keep them dry. They're good! A bit puffier than the ones we get in our favorite granola but still tasty. I'll try some Cajun season salt next time but it was a worthwhile project. Some may get cinnamon and a sprinkling of sugar for a cereal/desert topping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naked seeded pumpkin_group 2017LeicaOHWM.jpg (327.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Naked Bear seedsWM.jpg (365.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Naked Bear seeds_dryingLeicaWM.jpg (473.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Naked Bear seeds_toasted sea saltWM.jpg (473.8 KB, 80 views)
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote