Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 13, 2015   #1
spereira
Tomatovillian™

Default DIY drip irrigation

Hello.

Anyone design their own DIY drip irrigation with 3/4 pvc pipe? Does it work as well as commercial (and expensive) systems?
spereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spereira View Post
Hello.

Anyone design their own DIY drip irrigation with 3/4 pvc pipe? Does it work as well as commercial (and expensive) systems?
If you are talking about the ones where they drill holes in the pipe it works sorta but not really.
The pipe has to be level and it isn't a true drip.
I don't care for it and I think in the long run is more expensive.
Once you buy all of those valves to adjust the flow that may or may not be the same from day to day.
it can add up.
I use 1/2 drip line.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You would want to get emitters that control the flow from each hole. You can drill a hole, and then run a tap into it to make threads, then screw whatever you want into the hole.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
You would want to get emitters that control the flow from each hole. You can drill a hole, and then run a tap into it to make threads, then screw whatever you want into the hole.

I bought one of those taps and I have it somewhere but dont know where.
Yes this would be the way to go using PVC not the little 1/6th inch holes.
I watched several of these homemade contraptions on youtube.

Worth
Old March 14, 2015   #5
spereira
Tomatovillian™

Default hybrid system

Cole and Worth,

So if I understand you correctly..use pvc as water lines but install emmiters rather than drill 1/16 holes?
Old March 14, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Whatever you use as pipe, you will want emitters instead of holes. Their purpose is to make the same amount of water drip out of each hole. PVC will work, or just about any type of pipe. You can also use flexible plastic tubing, sometimes called "orchard tubing," which I use as header line for drip tape. In orchards and vineyards, the irrigation setup has to last several years, so they use the tubing instead of drip tape. Here is a pic of one: http://www.kobrandwineandspirits.com...irrigation.jpg
Old March 14, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are some that are barbed and some with 10 32 threads.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Bu...ers-s/9785.htm

And some more like this.
I have used these before they work great.
Same as before some barbed and some 10 32 threads.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/St...ers-s/8355.htm

One good thing about these threaded type emitters are you can change out to a mister or mini spray and use them to wet the soil when you plant seeds out in the garden.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 14, 2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old March 14, 2015   #8
spereira
Tomatovillian™

Default thank you

Worth..thanks for the links..just was I am looking for.
Old March 15, 2015   #9
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I have a PVC system with drilled holes. I vary the spacing and hole size to even the flow. I use 1 inch pipe for runs longer than 20 feet. The flow still isn't even but good enough for me.

I can water about 300 feet of tomato garden in about fifteen minutes. If I use drip it will take hours and I will have to remember to come back and shut it off.

However I am in the process of changing over to 1/2 drip line. I no longer feel comfortable with using PVC exposed for long periods of time to heat and sun. It may be safe but for now I am switching to polyethylene drip line.

I see more advantages than disadvantages. Polyethylene drip line is cheaper than PVC. 500 feet of 1/2 inch drip line is about $100. 500 feet of 3/4 PVC is a little more $ but a lot more $ if I have to use 1 inch pipe. I can use much longer runs and water a larger garden all at once. I feel more confident that polyethylene is a safer plastic for the garden.

A cautionary note if using 1/2 inch drip line. There are at least four different sizes of 1/2 inch drip line. Selecting fittings can be a challenge because of mismatches.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #10
spereira
Tomatovillian™

[However I am in the process of changing over to 1/2 drip line. I no longer feel comfortable with using PVC exposed for long periods of time to heat and sun. It may be safe but for now I am switching to polyethylene drip line.

I see more advantages than disadvantages. Polyethylene drip line is cheaper than PVC. 500 feet of 1/2 inch drip line is about $100. 500 feet of 3/4 PVC is a little more $ but a lot more $ if I have to use 1 inch pipe. I can use much longer runs and water a larger garden all at once. I feel more confident that polyethylene is a safer plastic for the garden]

I never thought about the toxic effects of pvc exposed to sunlight. I had planned on burying or covering with black plastic mulch.

The 1/2 poly tube is a tad more expensive but perhaps worth it for ease of use etc.
Old March 15, 2015   #11
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Law...3049/50497.uts
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #12
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spereira View Post
The 1/2 poly tube is a tad more expensive but perhaps worth it for ease of use etc.
If you are going to install drippers in the PVC similar to the ones Worth linked then I don't see the cost savings. The drippers are about 25 cents each. You can find 1/2 inch drip line for that price and it has the drippers built in.

Rags linked drip tubing which is cheaper yet, however drip tubing does not have the drippers built in.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I agree. I use drip tape. I have a fertilizer injector, but have only put very soluble ferts in it. I have considered building a pipe and dripper system so that I can have easier access to the emitters to see if they are clogging up. That would let me run organic ferts through the injector, a lot of which tend to be goopy and cause clogs. If I clog up my drip tape under black plastic, I'm not going to realize it until the plants start to wither.
Old March 16, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
A cautionary note if using 1/2 inch drip line. There are at least four different sizes of 1/2 inch drip line. Selecting fittings can be a challenge because of mismatches.
After you posted this I did some serious research.

What I found out was much of this but not all is interchangeable.

Worth
Old March 16, 2015   #15
spereira
Tomatovillian™

Default rainbird drip irrigation

I stopped by Menards this evening after work..bought the 29.00 "starter kit"

I figured this would get me started plus I like the idea of buying locally..instead of on line. I can buy additional supplies that will fit the Rainbird system on Amazon.

this is all new to me so the learning curve will take time.

Steve