Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2014   #16
Courtgreenhous
Tomatovillian™

Quick Update: I succumbed to Late Blight, probably from introducing spores that were attached to my clothing from the community garden where there is several cases. The spread was so slow and benign looking for awhile, but I knew they were lurking from the tell-tale light green circles or dots in the leaves early on. B54Red suggested Clorox Bleach for late blight so mixed up 5Tbsp bleach per 2Liters with some liquid dr bronners soap. 2 Days later and wow what a difference! I had no idea it had spread up that far. Following last night's second application of Clorox spray I applied Serenade by Foliar this morning at 5:30AM. There may be rain today or tomorrow so I am up in the air about Clorox again or Serenade following the rain. Any input in this matter would be helpful, thanks guys!
Courtgreenhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #17
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtgreenhous View Post
Quick Update: I succumbed to Late Blight, probably from introducing spores that were attached to my clothing from the community garden where there is several cases. The spread was so slow and benign looking for awhile, but I knew they were lurking from the tell-tale light green circles or dots in the leaves early on. B54Red suggested Clorox Bleach for late blight so mixed up 5Tbsp bleach per 2Liters with some liquid dr bronners soap. 2 Days later and wow what a difference! I had no idea it had spread up that far. Following last night's second application of Clorox spray I applied Serenade by Foliar this morning at 5:30AM. There may be rain today or tomorrow so I am up in the air about Clorox again or Serenade following the rain. Any input in this matter would be helpful, thanks guys!
How are your plants doing? I'm on the East Coast of Central Florida and mine were so healthy a few weeks ago. Then we went away for a week and our neighbor watered them. Instead of just filling the reservoirs like we showed him, he told us he sprayed the plants down wirh water morning and night. And the diseases have been having a field day ever since. It would have happened anyways with the afternoon rains but that sped up the process. A few plants are holding out beter than others and I think we will still have tomatoes anorher 3-4 weeks before everything shuts down.

I was curious if you have been able to slow down the blight.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #18
Courtgreenhous
Tomatovillian™

OH jeez, that sounds like a recipe for disease for sure Ginny. I haven’t taken a look at them this morning, but I think I have slowed down the blight. I removed the top of the greenhouse to reduce humidity. I used Procidic, Serenade, Kelp/Fish Hydrolysate, and pruning to slow it down. Whatever is on the plant now I’m just trying to get it to ripen without any problems and pack it up for the heat. I think 3-4 weeks before it shuts down is a pretty accurate prediction.
Old June 23, 2014   #19
kurt
Tomatovillian™

It might behoove you that when you shut down to take the pallets out and pressure clean them and the court.Once a spore/molecule of a disease/ailment harbors in a nice enviornment like wood and or the built up debris from gardening here in Florida it is almost certain it will rear it ugliness again.We do not have the freezing winters to dispatch most of the diseases that arrive and spawn during a gardening season.Maybe next season jack up the pallets on blocks for ease of gardening,airflow/exchange and cleaning/hosing.Good Luck and have fun.
Old June 24, 2014   #20
Courtgreenhous
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
It might behoove you that when you shut down to take the pallets out and pressure clean them and the court.Once a spore/molecule of a disease/ailment harbors in a nice enviornment like wood and or the built up debris from gardening here in Florida it is almost certain it will rear it ugliness again.We do not have the freezing winters to dispatch most of the diseases that arrive and spawn during a gardening season.Maybe next season jack up the pallets on blocks for ease of gardening,airflow/exchange and cleaning/hosing.Good Luck and have fun.
Kurt thank you for your wisdom. What I have in mind will be much better this next season. First time around just poking the bear (disease) to see what happens. Even though my plants have late blight it's taking a long time for the late blight to finish them off. The fungus gnats I endured early on in the season spread the disease I think.

Kurt do you know what kind of diseases are dispatched by freezing temperatures? I am not sure what this winter may bring, but another freeze for this area is likely.
Old June 24, 2014   #21
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default C-137 might have some more input on disease/freezing control.

http://extension.umass.edu/floricult...lateblight.pdf

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ease+carryover

Check out #9 has disease transmissin info.

This is one article I found before.
I know that our one day freezes would not really impact spores.fungas etc.You would need a period of time for most I beleive.
There are posts and threads here from before and maybe some will show up in replys.
I will go into the search pane and see what I can drum up.
Some will not die in freezing temps.
Some will not die if in the seed.

Last edited by kurt; June 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: more info
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote