Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2014   #1
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Default Split stems

It got windy here yesterday afternoon. My tomato plants were unsupported at the time. Thankfully only three plants appear to be damaged. One broke off completely at the stem(not salvageable). The other two are split at the stem, near the soil-line(the tops were lying on the ground when I found them). One is split about 2/3 of the way through, and the other is split about half way through. Both plants are about a foot tall. I'm wondering if these plants will heal over at the stem and be fine, or should I transplant another plant in each spot? The foliage on these two plants looks fine; not wilting so far. I do still have extra plants handy. Anyone have personal experience regarding this?

Needless to say, I've got my plants supported now(via the Florida Weave).
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I wrap some tape tightly around the wound, stand them back up, and they are usually fine.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've saved large plants after stakes have snapped, etc. by wrapping cloth, etc. around where the break or split happened and never lost any so I can only assume it would work for a younger plant. It's telling that the foliage isn't wilting- they really want to live!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #4
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I've used duct-tape and a splint to salvage plants on which the main stem broke and was hanging by a thread, and they healed and went on to produce some fine tomatoes.

Still, if you have extras, you might as well find another space and plant those too! ;-)
Old June 19, 2014   #5
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. I ended up replacing both damaged plants, as the tops were getting droopy and somewhat wilted on them. They may have been more damaged than I first thought. Both plants were the same variety, and luckily I had one backup plant of that variety. I purchased a plant, of the variety Manitoba, to fit in in the other spot. I didn't feel like I had much time to make a decision, as we don't have a very long season here in central MN.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote