Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 19, 2015   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are so many people who look to buy things that cost way too much. I'm hoping these overpriced grafted tomatoes are targeted at those who enjoy throwing money away.

I understand having something "different" is fun and all, but if a million people grow them - they're not really different anymore. I don't know? Sounds like a waste of money to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #32
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
There's definitely some profit-taking going on right now with grafting. I think it will die down some, but there is some labor involved so I don't think we'll ever see $3.99 grafted plants.

I'm personally planning to graft a couple of plants onto Tasti-Lee VFFFNT and see if it leads to any improved productivity. Not sure where to get grafting clips without spending a bazillion dollars though. Is there an arts-and-crafts type product that comes close? Could I use plastic wrap and then a hair barrette or something? Guess I should use the Search feature.
About 3 yrs ago, when I was first getting interested, I contacted graftingclips.com. They sent me a sample pack of split silicone clips in 3 different sizes. They work great as the plant grows, they are soft enough they push off by themselves, and they are reusable as long as you pick them up after they push off.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #33
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I have seen places that sell Estamino seed for grafting and posts on the web where even Early Girl was used as a root stock.

Since the whole idea behind the grafting is to use rootstock to help prevent diseases mainly, couldn't any tomato that has a lot of disease resistance work?

I have seed of Crista which is a hybrid and VFFFN-TSWV.

Couldn't that be used successfully as a root stock?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #34
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I use big beef For rootstock
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #35
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I do have some of my tomato plants getting diseases every year. Not only that but bugs and animals or birds getting some of my plants. Luckily, I get enough for us and friends and family as well. So, I am not too desperate to do horizontal grafting.

Delerium had mentioned verticals graft in his posts, which I tried last year with 3 tomatoes combined. I cut the roots off and made elongated cut on all 3 stems. Bound them up together with super thing wire and placed in a glass with water (nothing added). In a few days roots grew to a reasonable size and I planted the triple in a container. It was among the last group going in to the ground. That triple plant grew fine until Cherokee Chocolate (one of the 3) overtook the rest. I picked 505.1 ounces of CC from it, the other two varieties just did not produce much. I am planning to try more vertical grafts this year. Want to see which varieties will go together fine and produce more evenly.

My none-grafted CC gave me 192 ounces of tomatoes from a single plant.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #36
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Orchids and Roses

If you look at these prices and these wilt and die. I see no reason to send a friend,ederly aunt(which I have done)who lives in a 35th floor condo,a apartment dweller with a balcony as a gift.But for a serious home gardner IMO that is not the intended market.

https://www.ftd.com/roses-ctg/product-roses

http://www.orchids.com/Aer-odorata-x--P2777.aspx

Last edited by kurt; February 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: NF1778 at $400 Orchid
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #37
nnavarra61
Tomatovillian™

And to think I was planting 2 plants to get 2 kinds of tomatoes for the ridiculous price of $1.99 each
nnavarra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #38
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Whoa! I guess I'm not doing it right; please, please, set me straight! How do you get two or three grafted plans from one rootstock? I currently lop the top off the rootstock plant and graft the top of a good tomato onto it. One for one.
Shawn,
I am sure you are doing it right, but that doesn't mean you can't do it better.
Think cloning. Instead of tossing the rootstock top, root it like you would a sucker.
Stick it in some potting soil or DE and you have new roots in a week, ready for round 2.

Alternative method, start the rootstock early, root several suckers off of it and graft them all.
And have you checked out Delerium's "no roots" method? Essentially a Japanese top graft with the added step of severing the roots. You end up with a few inches of rootstock clipped to the scion top, then stuck into DE or your media of choice. The roots regrow while the graft heals, with no turgidity (upward water pressure).
You are also left with a rootstock stump and roots. If you have enough stem left,you can graft right to it, or let it regrow and keep going.
The only real difficulty is timing your scions right for good stem matches.

Now that I am writing this, we need a new grafting thread to discuss our 2015 efforts.
We have more then a few folks doing a ton of grafting the last few years, and no doubt a lot of new folks who would like to learn.
I have a quite a few tomatoes and peppers going right now slated for "experiments".
Think I will start a new thread this weekend and maybe we can get the collective juices going again on best practices and methods.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #39
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

James... I do hope you start a thread. I would love to learn more and especially how to do the vertical grafts instead of just the top ones.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #40
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Whoa! I guess I'm not doing it right; please, please, set me straight! How do you get two or three grafted plans from one rootstock? I currently lop the top off the rootstock plant and graft the top of a good tomato onto it. One for one.
I'm with you Shawn, I find there is more and more I don't understand!
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #41
Geezer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maurer View Post
I'm with you Shawn, I find there is more and more I don't understand!
Mike
I'm with you guys. The more I learn the more I find out how little I know!
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #42
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

That's why we are here! 3 years ago I had never heard of a grafted tomato. Nor half the varieties we discuss regularly.

Vertical graft vs triple play graft. 2 different things.
Will get a new thread going this Sunday and post the link back to this one.
Old February 20, 2015   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago here I asked a question about grafting tomatoes and got very little response.

Now here we are and people cant quit talking about it.
One of the things I think I brought up in that first thread was grafting different varieties on one plant.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #44
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Many years ago here I asked a question about grafting tomatoes and got very little response.

Now here we are and people cant quit talking about it.
One of the things I think I brought up in that first thread was grafting different varieties on one plant.

Worth
Old February 20, 2015   #45
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Search in tomato graft,grafting,rootstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

http://www.tomatoville.com/search.ph...4&pp=30&page=4

Some of these go back to 2006.Delerium, z_willus_d,aclum comes to mind recently with multitudes of trial/error info.