Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2015   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Greening up seedlings?

I was just curious what the best way to green up seedlings. I have some left and I'm going to the market tomorrow and they are looking kinds pale from getting root bound. some are 2 1/2 feet tall in a 3 inch pot b/c I have been to busy to transplant into a bigger container. I used some 3-3-3 diluted 10:1 on them this past weekend but they still look faded green/yellow on the older growth. Thanks for any suggestions.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Epsom salts or miracle grow

KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Calcium nitrate. Be sure to bottom-water, and soak the root balls until all the air has bubbled out and they don't float any more.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Epsom salts 1Tbsp per gallon. Improvement in 24 hours, looking good by 72.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #5
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

You might want to disclose they are root bound. I purchased a few root bound plants from a well known vendor. None of the plants did well in my garden. I have never purchased from that vendor again.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes you just have to pinch off the old growth - I didn't know you could restore it once it turns yellow - meaning the plant already decided to put that Nitrogen elsewhere.

Clipping off any sick or unsightly leaves is a good thing to do, nobody wants to take home any foliage that isn't healthy, and it's the new growth that matters... 2 cents.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yeas , Epsom salt.
For fast action you may choose to foliar spraying.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Epsom salts 1Tbsp per gallon. Improvement in 24 hours, looking good by 72.
And being in FL you should know Marsha.

Many years ago I was surprised to find that before the tourist season, especially in FL, but also other places where palms are looking ratty, tanker trucks would go down the streets spraying those trees.

The reason it works is b/c Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate and the central prosthetic group in the chlorophyll molcule is Mg++.

I have never used Espom Salts for anything I ever grew and always wondered why so many others do, and yes, I know of the claims being made for it, which are many,

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+up+palm+trees

Carolyn
Old May 8, 2015   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And being in FL you should know Marsha.

Many years ago I was surprised to find that before the tourist season, especially in FL, but also other places where palms are looking ratty, tanker trucks would go down the streets spraying those trees.

The reason it works is b/c Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate and the central prosthetic group in the chlorophyll molcule is Mg++.

I have never used Espom Salts for anything I ever grew and always wondered why so many others do, and yes, I know of the claims being made for it, which are many,

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+up+palm+trees

Carolyn
Need a like button!
Only thing I have ever used it for was some time back when I overwatered my small seedlings and they yellowed. It worked great though. Carolyn, I learned something new from this, many thanks.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Does magnesium facilitate nitrogen uptake? Is that why epsom salts work?
Old May 9, 2015   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Does magnesium facilitate nitrogen uptake? Is that why epsom salts work?
Mg++ can do lots of things having to do with increased chlorophyll production, as I mentioned above, uptake of N, and much more.

Here's a Google search that discusses what it does, and I fogot to mention it can also affect the development of BER.

But for greening up plants quickly as was asked above, increasing chlorophyll production would affect the palms, tomato plants,etc. fastest.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+uptake+tomato

Carolyn
Old May 9, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Thanks. I am thinking about hooking up a hozon injector and mixing some epsom salts in the next time I get behind on watering and have to hose down my plants.
Old May 9, 2015   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I got behind on my watering this week, most plants perked right up within a few hours of receiving a normal watering. I have about 20 plants (out of 250) that are showing severe withering and the normal watering did not seem to help, but after reading this thread decided to use an Epson salt mixture on them this evening (I'll report tomorrow). I don't really care if these plants survive as I have 3x the amount that I need, so they are perfect for this experiment.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I plan on spraying mine this coming Thursday and taking some before and after pics. Should be interesting.

Edit: After reading some of the info in the links I wanted to clarify a few things in my mind.

So Epsom salt can increase flower production if sprayed during flowering? I gotta admit I thought the Epsom salt thing was a myth but from what I read it sounds like it supposedly increases production and helps with nutrient uptake? Since I am growing in new soil that hasn't been ammended very long this could be a useful treatment for me if it actually works. Any of you folks have first hand knowledge of this?

Last edited by BigVanVader; May 11, 2015 at 08:39 AM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2015   #15
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I got behind on my watering this week, most plants perked right up within a few hours of receiving a normal watering. I have about 20 plants (out of 250) that are showing severe withering and the normal watering did not seem to help, but after reading this thread decided to use an Epson salt mixture on them this evening (I'll report tomorrow). I don't really care if these plants survive as I have 3x the amount that I need, so they are perfect for this experiment.
The Epsom salt mix (2 teaspoons per 1/2 gallon of water) worked like a charm ... most of the 20 or so plants came back beautifully, but the jury is still out on a few although they look a little healthier too.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote