Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 27, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I just had the idea of selling bales of straw with two established dwarfs in them. It would make an eye-catching market display. I could deliver the bales locally.

I thought this would be a good place to throw out the question: in US dollars, what do you think the value of such a product would be? I was thinking $40-50, but I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts and comments.

The trend in gardening is convenience over thrift. I think people would pay a premium price to have a garden without having to do hardly any work.
You may be right I tend to think thrift and it is a downfall when pricing something.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015   #17
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Cole, you're a quick thinking business man. A display of delicious tomatoes on live plants on straw sure will draw a lot of eyeballs. Fun... Good luck and ka-ching!

Quote:
I just had the idea of selling bales of straw with two established dwarfs in them. It would make an eye-catching market display. I could deliver the bales locally.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015   #18
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Cole, I'd buy something like that in a heartbeat ! Great idea !
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015   #19
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I thought this would be a good place to throw out the question: in US dollars, what do you think the value of such a product would be? I was thinking $40-50, but I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts and comments.

The trend in gardening is convenience over thrift. I think people would pay a premium price to have a garden without having to do hardly any work.
What a splendid idea! I have a neighbor who is retired and used to have a garden. For health reasons he is unable to do very much of it anymore. He would definitely love something like this, I might just have to make one for him....I have not tried the straw bale method yet but I have read about and watched videos.
There are lots of folks I think this idea would appeal to, such as those who are physically unable, have no garden space, and those who are just too busy! I think $44.00 is the magic price
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015   #20
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I think its a great idea, Cole! That said, it is also easily copied. Maybe think out a roll-out strategy that doesn't leave you with a hundred extra baled plants if the idea doesn't pan out. Just a suggestion.

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

First off Cole; very good idea, I would start where you feel comfortable and if the response is good then increase the price. The delivery I think would get time consuming though knowing people will want to talk and then probably call you for questions etc afterwards, which is fine if you enjoy that kind of thing. Just weigh the negs/positives you know.

Secondly, I have experimented with straw bale growing and it worked fairly well for me. I think it could be really good if you set up drip to water it. I had trouble keeping mine watered enough, but take into account it was over 100 and no rain for nearly 2 months that year. Plus I am pretty lazy when it comes to a these sort of things often convincing myself that "nobody watered plants before we came along, they'll be fine" or "I'm just weeding out the weak ones"

On a side note I find wheat straw to be the best mulch I have found for conditioning the soil and attracting earthworms so regardless of weather you decide to continue straw bale gardening you are still investing in great mulch/compost.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #22
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Cole,
It sounds like an interesting idea but one must consider a few things. A bale should be "perked" - allowed to break down internally so you can plant the tomato seedlings in it. This requires that the bale be watered heavily, fertilized with a nitrogen fertilizer to hasten the break down, or left over the winter to decompose inside naturally. The bale becomes basically unmoveable due to weight from all the water. If you have equipment to lift the pre-planted bale onto a truck then it would be fine.
One way around it might be to provide the bale, fertilizer. potting mix and plants, set it in place with the instructions and have the new owner water them, let them break down and plant in them. It takes 10-12 days in the spring or early summer for the bales to be ready for planting.
I can't speak to a fair price. Here a bale is $5.00. I grow my own tomatoes, but the fertilizers and potting mix add to the cost. If you are delivering then that adds cost.
The beauty of the bales is that after the initial set up, they are easy to maintain. The most work for me is the watering, feeding and staking or tying up as the plants grow. There is no weeding and little bending which makes them ideal for people with back problems or even in a wheel chair.
Good luck with your plan! I'll be curious how you handle the weight problem if you pre-plant them for delivery!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #23
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
On a side note I find wheat straw to be the best mulch I have found for conditioning the soil and attracting earthworms so regardless of weather you decide to continue straw bale gardening you are still investing in great mulch/compost.
I'm kinda cheap so I go around and collect thrown out bales used for Halloween decoration. It was a good year for that. I use them for mulch, although it was such a good year I have 2 bales of excellent looking straw, I don't really need, so straw bale gardening it is!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #24
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

If I saw for sale those little bales used for fall decoration planted with Tiny Tim or Red Robin I'd buy them on the spot. Just for fun !
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads-up about the weight. It might be smarter to use mini-bales for that reason.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #26
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I never thought of using mini bales since I always need the full size bales for two tomato plants. But I can get the half bales if I really want them. That would be much easier to move but it will still be surprisingly heavy no matter what. Probably two people could move them fairly easily. Certainly worth a try and they would be cute.

I'll never forget helping a friend learn about straw bale gardening. She dutifully prepped her two bales but not in their final resting place because she hadn't decided that yet. When she was ready and tried to move them she was shocked. Somehow she and her boyfriend worked them into place but she never did that again!! Now she starts them I'm place!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2015   #27
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

We have a countdown until Craig's book is released.

Only 10 more days!