Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2017   #46
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I have not grown a whole heck of a lot of cherries. The first one I recall was a sweet 100 plant that sprawled. It was work to find those tiny tomatoes, and there were hundreds, perhaps thousands of small, marble sized tomatoes, that tasted amazingly good. The next year I grew it again, but on a trellis, and it did not taste remotely similar and production was lacking as well.

At some point I tried sunsugar and that has been my favorite since. Last year I tried Sungold and it was good, but has thicker skin and splits more. I didn't think it was bigger, but perhaps larger trusses.

I grew Ron's Carbon Copy last year. It was not very sweet, actually kind of sour. Very plum like. I have seen others call it sweet, so I wonder if that was not completely stable?

My black cherry got mismarked last year, so I didn't get to try it. Should have some soon, this year. But I really love sunsugar, and I'd be surprised if I am swayed.

Can't wait to try that Karma, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
For me, Ron's Carbon Copy was not what I'd call sweet in flavor, but did taste just like Carbon; big smoky taste for a cherry and prolific. It's a serious must grow for me.
Ditto on what Imp said. I received RCC from two different sources last year. I grew both out. They weren't the same. The real RCC tastes just like a carbon. It's sweet in the savory way that I would expect a black mato to be. Small size, but big taste.

I prefer it to Choc cherry, black cherry, austin's black cherry, and about any other black cherry.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #47
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

This year I grew Rev Michael Keyes (seeds from Marsha). I will never need to trial another red cherry. This variety is everything I have been searching for, a great combination of taste, productivity and no cracking.

Haven't not planted Black Cherry since the first time I tried it. There would probably be a divorce in my future if I didn't. I see I am in the minority of liking it better than Ron's and Austin's.

Esmeralda Golosina is my green when ripe cherry, though it is a bit bigger than most cherries.

Maglia Rosa is one of the prettiest and tastiest. It is also very productive and compact. I tried Matt's Hornet for a complimentary red with gold stripes. I have not been disappointed. What great flavor in such a pretty package.

Sungold for sure.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #48
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

How many cherry varieties are there? or is this like how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop - nobody knows?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #49
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
This year I grew Rev Michael Keyes (seeds from Marsha). I will never need to trial another red cherry.
That is a strong endorsement. Can you describe the flavor? Right now Ambrosia Red is my sweet red cherry, and I like Tommy Toe for a "real tomato" flavor.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #50
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I am also growing Ambrosia Red and I would say it's flavor is sweeter. Reverend Michael Keyes definitely has a more complex tomato flavor, but not as sweet. That is what I would call "real tomato flavor". It is a larger cherry, more of a grape shape. It is a multi flora with huge trusses of tomatoes. Ihave it growing in an earth box, and those fruit laden branches are going every which way.
Old July 27, 2017   #51
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Default Reverend Michael Keyes

A picture from earlier in the season
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (304.7 KB, 285 views)
Old July 28, 2017   #52
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing Maglia Rosa, and I have to say that it's the best tasting cherry tomato I've ever had. Intensely sweet but also with equal acidity for balance and brightness. Also very beautiful.

Consistency of early fruits was a bit hard and rubbery, but the fruit I've been getting lately is much nicer in texture. Skin is on the tough side, but not much tougher than Black Cherry, my previous favorite, and it means there's no problem with splitting.

Of course, it's not a giant plant that will produce tons of tomatoes, but it is very productive for its size and can be tucked here and there into extra containers or empty spots in the yard.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #53
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
How many cherry varieties are there? or is this like how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop - nobody knows?
Hundreds for sure. Tatianas Alone offers 141 OP varieties, certainly world wide there are many more than that and many,many hybrids too.
KarenO
So I would say nobody knows
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #54
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My Ambrosia Orange have now developed tough skins, making them truly identical to Sungold. It's got to be from some sort of stress - sunburn, disease, or bugs. I'm sure I have all of them.

Ambrosia Red does not have the tough skin problem and continues to crank out a nice late crop.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2017   #55
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

magila rosa in my area have skin like leather while the sungold are amazing 2 years in a row
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #56
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Kind of off topic but as I recall it was proven beyond all doubt on live tv by a sagely owl that the answer is three licks.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #57
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Porter. It tastes like a real tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #58
BakedIn
Tomatovillian™

Last fall I smuggled a few cherry tomatoes out of CiCi's pizza buffet. They are my favorite cherry this year, and for me the perfect blend.

The fruits did produce true. The fruits are oblong. It's a meat-ier tomato than any cherry I've had, and it also has a nice sweet flavor. You can't stop eating them. It keeps well and is not as easily damaged. Few seeds.
No idea what the name would be, I've just been writing cici's pizza on the seed packs.
BakedIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #59
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet 100

The sweet taste of Sweet 100 is my favorite of any tomato, BUT it cracks like mad, especially toward the end of the season. Can anyone recommend another cherry that tastes similar to Sweet 100?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #60
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Million cracks less than Sweet 100.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote