Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

View Poll Results: Do you love Aji peppers
love them in ceviche 1 16.67%
love them in hot sauces 4 66.67%
love them with grilled meats and veggies 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5, 2019   #1
S2H
Tomatovillian™

Default Aji peppers from South America

I am really into this variety of peppers. I have been growing them for years. I am searching for Aji Limo seeds. I have grown them previously, and my plants cross-pollinated, so I am looking for seeds. I love Peruvian peppers.

I am grateful for all your help
Scotty2Hotty
S2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #2
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I don't have those, but am growing Aji Amarillo from a few sources, and want to know what to expect. How big might they get in 5 gallon buckets, and what should I expect from a Nor Cal central valley climate? Lots of growing days, freezing not usually a problem, but very hot, and very dry. I am growing Baby Aji Amarillo and Aji Amarillo Grande from Artisan, and Aji Amarillo from a trade.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 6, 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I’m not sure. I tried some lightly pickled biquino peppers recently at a conference luncheon and loved them but that has been my one and only taste so far.
I started biquino yellow and lemon drop this year, can’t wait to try them!
We go to Bonaire in a couple of weeks and I will be looking for any and all varieties at the grocery store to try.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Peppers love wet soil. As long as it is drained. They do well with heavier watering than tomato. The risk of growing in pots is that you will let them dry out, and that will really kill production. Even one severe drying event can dramatically reduce growth and production.

Aji Amarillo Grande can probably get 3-4 ft tall and 3 ft in diameter.

Baby Aji gets about 3 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter.

I will be curious to hear about how the Aji Amarillo you got in a trade compares to Aji Amarillo Grande.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I don't have those, but am growing Aji Amarillo from a few sources, and want to know what to expect. How big might they get in 5 gallon buckets, and what should I expect from a Nor Cal central valley climate. Lots of growing days, freezing not usually a problem, but very hot, and very dry. I am growing Baby Aji Amarillo and Aji Amarillo Grande from Artisan, and Aji Amarillo from a trade.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsic...atum#Etymology

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #6
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Peppers love wet soil. As long as it is drained. They do well with heavier watering than tomato. The risk of growing in pots is that you will let them dry out, and that will really kill production. Even one severe drying event can dramatically reduce growth and production.

I will be curious to hear about how the Aji Amarillo you got in a trade compares to Aji Amarillo Grande.
Thanks so much for your response! I am using all manner of sub- irrigation, "self watering", passive hydroponic/kratky and automatic drip shenanigans, and am open to suggestions!

I had the nerve to give a client from Peru I just met , seedlings of both the Baby and the Grande. I said I expected them to ripen orange rather than yellow and he seemed surprised.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 6, 2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 8, 2019   #7
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2H View Post
I am really into this variety of peppers. I have been growing them for years. I am searching for Aji Limo seeds. I have grown them previously, and my plants cross-pollinated, so I am looking for seeds. I love Peruvian peppers.

I am grateful for all your help
Scotty2Hotty
I have Aji Limo Rojo. I don’t have the yellow Aji Limo.

Last edited by roper2008; May 8, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #8
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

I have a vote in a poll question at the head of this thread. Apparently you can only pick one.. we love them 2 ways...ceviche and grilled with meats and veges.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth. I’m also growing peppadew and forgot that it was also in this family. Looking forward to trying all of these new to me pepper. We love ceviche and fermented sauce,as well as dried peppers so those will probably all be tried.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019   #10
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I’m not sure. I tried some lightly pickled biquino peppers recently at a conference luncheon and loved them but that has been my one and only taste so far.
I started biquino yellow and lemon drop this year, can’t wait to try them!
We go to Bonaire in a couple of weeks and I will be looking for any and all varieties at the grocery store to try.
I love Biquino peppers and am growing the yellow version. I had them in a local Peruvian restaurant and had to track them down, they were so unusual. I’m also growing Lemon Drop ... what a coincidence. Good luck with your pepper search!
Old May 19, 2019   #11
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post

Seem to like afternoon shade as well in my climate.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense Fred. Last season was my first using an EarthBox that has the
water reservoir. I put 4 in the box. Formed a massive shrub. And this is from someone
that gave up on peppers years ago.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #13
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I remain a bit intimidated by the potential size of three or more of these aji Amarillos, and have been tracking down pictures of the mature plants. I found these on The Hot Pepper. The first post mentions aji pacay, which the author says is a larger version of Aji Amarillo.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62805-...o-for-a-prize/

Post #14 includes a word document about Ajis. It's in Spanish.

I will be growing most of mine in soil in "5 gallon buckets" with 1 gallon reservoirs, and I have been pruning the peppers a little to influence how they grow. I do have one that is growing in a non-circulating ??? (kratky style), but I'm not sure I will leave it there.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 19, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old May 19, 2019   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I remain a bit intimmidated by the potential size of three or more of these aji Amarillos, and have been tracking down pictures of the mature plants. I found these on The Hot Pepper. The first post mentions aji paca, which the author says is a larger version of Aji Amarillo.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62805-...o-for-a-prize/

I will be growing most of mine in soil in "5 gallon buckets" with 1 gallon reservoirs, and I have been pruning the peppers a little to influence how they grow. I do have one that is growing in a non-circulating ??? (kratky style), but I'm not sure I will leave it there.
I shop at a place that sells stuff from Peru.
All of there Aji Amarillo peppers they sell in a jar or can are huge and thick walled compared to what I have seen in some places and grew from the small one.
And all are orange not yellow which is confounding to say the least.
But they call it yellow who am I to argue.

The peppers I pulled from this can were around 3 to maybe 4 inches long and I made Chile Rellenos with them.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Last season I was unprepared for the size. This was on my deck outside the kitchen.
To heavy to move once they took off. I expected maybe 3-4 ft but they grew to 5+ ft.
I was harvesting through early November.
This season the three EarthBoxes are going out on the driveway, on wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aji pepper 2018.jpg (426.9 KB, 104 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote