Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 20, 2015   #241
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

looking good! about how tall are they? that hardin's mini. x chocolate cherry should stay very compact and bushy. looks like you have less of the rolled leaves than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
All of the micro plant have set fruit ow. I have not seen one dropped blossom. So far all of the tomatoes are round.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #242
WillysWoodPile

Kozula #14 multi-floral might be a good one to cross to a micro. It puts out more flowers than any other tomato plant I have ever seen. Plus it's mighty tasty for such a small tomato.
Old January 21, 2015   #243
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Where would one obtain these seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
Kozula #14 multi-floral might be a good one to cross to a micro. It puts out more flowers than any other tomato plant I have ever seen. Plus it's mighty tasty for such a small tomato.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old January 21, 2015   #244
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Where would one obtain these seeds?
I have enough seed for one person. I will send you a few seeds of the original F-4 from Poland. Send me your address in a PM and I will get them out to you today [or tomorrow if later in the day].
Old January 21, 2015   #245
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

looking good! about how tall are they? that hardin's mini. x chocolate cherry should stay very compact and bushy. looks like you have less of the rolled leaves than mine.

It is about 8 inches tall. It seems most of them are staying about that height. That is one I grew under a TaoTronics LED grow light as an experiment. It seems like they are producing about the same as the ones growing under T-8s. Out of the 18 plants I kept only 3 have the curled leaf. The rest are regular leaf plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro curled2.jpg (43.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg micro curled3.jpg (45.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Micro group.jpg (52.2 KB, 224 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #246
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

New blog post on the multiflora micro.

https://chriskafer.wordpress.com/201...icro-tomatoes/

Old January 24, 2015   #247
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Nice blog Chris. I really like the punnett square of your trihybrid cross. Very useful info and nice pics.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #248
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyswoodpile View Post
i have enough seed for one person. I will send you a few seeds of the original f-4 from poland. Send me your address in a pm and i will get them out to you today [or tomorrow if later in the day].
seeds sent. Offer now closed.
Old February 12, 2015   #249
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Quick update on the micro-multiflora

I picked 1 pink fruit yesterday! I haven't done anything with it yet. Several more are turning color. As I've thought about it, the temperature could certainly be slowing them down from what they would do outside in summer. I have a gas heater that doesn't let the temperature get below about 60 degrees in the sun room. However, through the colder part of winter, the temperature would get down to 59-60 every night and was usually in the low-mid 60s throughout most days. Only the very brightest days approached the low 70s. That is changing now as we have longer days. I assume that would slow down the ripening.

Also, they are differentiating more as they get larger rather than all looking the same like they did for the first couple of months. There is quite a variation in size and shape of the plants and the number of flowers/fruits from the fewest to the most - with the majority being closer to the most than the fewest. I took a few minutes yesterday and attempted to count the number of set fruit (not flowers, but actual fruit) on the plant with the FEWEST. It has significantly fewer than any of the others - very obviously fewer fruit. There were ONLY 79 fruit set on that plant so far. It is close to 18" in height and hasn't spread as wide as most of them and still shows more flowers than fruit.

Still fun.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2015   #250
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3581757&type=3

Here's a little album and update on the Micro's I am growing from seed That ChrisK sent. They are very interesting looking with the rolled leaves and they are blooming and setting fruit in my February kitchen under an ordinary shop light in front of a window. Fun to grow! I am definitely a convert to indoor winter micro growing even without tasting a fruit yet. It's just a pleasure to watch them grow and bloom indoors and they smell wonderful.
Thank you so much for the seed Chris!
Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMCC F4 micros (seed from C. Kafer).jpg (78.6 KB, 140 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #251
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

They are fun, even with that pitiful looking leaf phenotype! Hope the fruit is edible!! ;-)

Old February 18, 2015   #252
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Chris,

Wow! I wish I had taken the time to look at your stuff sooner. Very fascinating. Thanks for sharing your info and your progress.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #253
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

None of my plants really have that leaf type. I have loads of tomatoes but no one ripe one yet. I even have several that are outside on warm days hoping more light would encourage them to ripen. It has been fun growing these.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #254
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the encouragement, I never know how many are interested in this little project! I know these will never achieve the fame, glory and adulation of the "big guys" but it's fun and might fill a small niche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Chris,

Wow! I wish I had taken the time to look at your stuff sooner. Very fascinating. Thanks for sharing your info and your progress.

Charley

Old February 18, 2015   #255
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

They look great too, Kay! Good that you got some segregation of that trait you could select for. I was afraid it might be tightly linked to the dwarfing genes and difficult to eliminate. I think a lot of people might be put off by the rolled leaves thinking they are sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
None of my plants really have that leaf type. I have loads of tomatoes but no one ripe one yet. I even have several that are outside on warm days hoping more light would encourage them to ripen. It has been fun growing these.