Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 12, 2017   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default brown edges

what would be causing the edges of 2 of my plants to be doing this? maglia rosa and the sungold,, they have been put in the buckets now for about 5 days, the temperature has been 90's last 2 days and today too plus very windy for 3 days, sun scald? could they need more water? they are in the rggs, so should be getting water. any thoughts?---thanks tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (173.2 KB, 42 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #2
encore
Tomatovillian™

or would too much water also cause this? seems like when they are smaller too much water causes this too.i just wrapped a towel around one side of each of the 2 plants so the sun wasn't directly on them, really don't want to water more from above if it's too much already.---tom
Old June 12, 2017   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

did they go from indoors or shelter to the buckets?
90 degrees and windy is pretty tough conditions even for mature plants.
Fertilizer burn can also cause browning of leaf margins. what sort of fert is in your buckets?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #4
encore
Tomatovillian™

they were hardened off for 10 days then put in buckets, they have been in buckets for about 5 days or so, i just put 1 cup of 10-10-10- fert. around the inside edge of the bucket about 3 inches down, then an inch or so of more mix , then wood shavings, same setup as last year. only 2 out of 14 plants experiancing this so far.----tom

Last edited by encore; June 12, 2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: need to add more,
Old June 12, 2017   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Heat, sun, wind. Same here. It hit 92 Sunday. We rarely see that in July in the Catskill
Mountains. Air conditioning is unheard of.

Most of my tomatoes went in a couple weeks ago. The rest are ready and were to go in
this past weekend but i held off until the hot weather breaks mid-week. Then we should
be back in the 70's.
Those in the ground are doing well except for a few PL. I watered deep Sunday all day.
No fert. Mulched.

It got way too hot too soon before your plants got well established with a healthy root
system. They will recover. If this heat wave continued for more than just a couple days
we would be up sh*t creek....

I put in some salad seed rows last week and basil direct seeded. All croaked even with
shade frames over them. (you can seed the tiny plants dead in their rows.)
My peppers look great, they love the heat. I gave up growing peppers years ago but
this might be the year....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

If yours are in buckets can you slide them out of the sun mid day?
I should do that with my driveway tomatoes in buckets. But mine were planted a month
ago.
They seemed fine this morning. I gave them a big wet soak. Those have a slow release
fert.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

It could be nutrient burn aggravated by high temperatures or wind damage if you've had any days with high winds.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote