Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 31, 2019   #1
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Default Direct sown seeds in raised bed

Wanted to do an update in case anyone was interested. I direct sowed Sungold, Mortgage Lifters, and Cherokee Purple on 5-11-19 in my 4'X8' raised bed. Mortgage Lifters failed to grow Sungold's have been producing a large handful of cherry tomatoes about daily for several weeks (5 plants). Picked my first two ripe Cherokee Purple tomatoes today. I wanted to test this out in my area to see results. I didn't get any beefsteak tomatoes until around 8-7-19 last year from grafted plants, including Cherokee Purple. Kind of happy with the results overall
Old September 1, 2019   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Hi Frank. Direct sowing is as natural as can be. Without us humans - that's the way it happens. Congrats on your results.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #3
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Hi Frank. Direct sowing is as natural as can be. Without us humans - that's the way it happens. Congrats on your results.
Yes, I had had success previously with the Sungold. Wanted to try my luck with Beefsteak to see if they would ripen before frost. With how late I got my tomatoes last year, I thought it was worth a shot. Too bad the Mortgage Lifters failed. I had a volunteer Potato come up to take the one spot, and I transplanted an extra Sungold to take the other. Always an adventure in the garden