Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 14, 2006   #1
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default Roguelands Vegetable Seeds Company?

Has anyone done business with them? I stumbled across their website (Tasty Tomatoes). Their shipping and prices are really low.

Thanks,
Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm having trouble figuring out the official name for this company. Seems they started offering seed packets on eBay and have moved from Oregon to Scotland. I wonder if they have seeds stored in the U.S. or if every shipment is international?

This all seems to be 1 company:
- Vegetable Seeds UK
- Seedfest
- Roguelands Vegetable Seeds Company
- Roguelands Seeds
- TomatoSeeds.net
- Tasty Tomatoes
- Anioleka Vegetable Seeds Company

reachable by these domains:
http://www.vegetableseed.net/
http://www.roguelands.com/
http://www.tomatoseeds.net/

Garden Watchdog:
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2621/
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3426/

Company History:
http://www.seedfest.co.uk/about/about.html#company

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Seems they started offering seed packets on eBay and have moved from Oregon to Scotland. I wonder if they have seeds stored in the U.S. or if every shipment is international?

Kelly and Andrey moved back from Scotland to Oregon a year or so ago. The variety Cluj on my seed offer list below is from Kelly who asked my opinion about it.

Some of us know them b'c they listed the variety Rostova, which became Gary Ibsen's Sunset Red Horizon. Apparently there was an undertstanding there somewhere, that got lost; I don't know the details. Last time I looed there was quite a statement with the Rostova variety at their site.

And yes, they run the same company with a whole lot of different names and I'm not sure why they do that. And yes, I know Kelly, And yes last time I looked some of the blurbs were, well, ahem, a bit different.

if looking primarily and especially for Russian varieties not found elsewhere, it might well be a good place to look.
Old December 14, 2006   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

CAVEAT EMPTOR

I had completely forgotten about these people until I saw this thread.

I placed a very good sized order with Anioleka Seeds back in 2002 and it has yet to arrive.

I emailed them several times and was told something very similar to the old line "the check is in the mail".

Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Let the buyer buyelsewhere.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2006   #6
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Maybe we should put this in the Blacklist thread. 50-50 chance of getting seeds. Even a gambler wouldn't touch those odds.

The only way I'd do it is they were the only source for a variety and I would only buy a couple packs of seeds. I wouldn't chance more than a couple dollars.

LoreD
Old December 16, 2006   #7
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

I placed an order about 3 months ago for 4 varieties, (I believe it was through the seedfest website) A month later there were no seeds, so I checked my paypal account (the way I paid... through my paypal Mastercard debit) I followed the payment and the company uses CCNOW which provides credit card processing, shopping cart, fraud prevention, and secure checkout etc. So I waited until 2 months passed went back in and informed CCNOW that I had not received my order, they issued a refund within 24 hours. So if you do order and receive nothing, make sure you use a payment method that you can closely monitor online. 2 weeks ago, I received the seeds "on the house". I may be one of the lucky ones as it took a bit of effort and I track everything extremely closely.

This is just what happened to me, as I am certain everyone's experiences are completely different.
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2006   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I have never personally utilized this company, but recall that several folks have been less than satisfied over the years.

The Dave's Garden (gardenwatchdog) ranking is quite telling, because based on my observations, folks tend to be a bit hesitant to give negative rankings.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3426/
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2006   #9
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I think they chose the best name for their company last- (Roguelands) it fits them to a tee. 8)
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2007   #10
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I bought seed from this company two years ago. Service was good...I did get the seed. However, half of what I ordered was not true to type. I did inform them of this but received no respone.
They also seem to change what they offer quite frequently, which might be an indication of some instability.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2007   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I almost ordered some seed from here today and then thought I'd better go and check T-ville for comments first. Thanks goodness I did! And thank you, too!
Old September 10, 2007   #12
mouse
Tomatovillian™

Tyffanie,

I don't know if you are looking for unusually fancy varieties, but for a good selection of vegetable varieties that have been tested by USU and proven themselves for Utah, nothing beats the prices at Mountain Valley Seeds at SLC. They are good folks. Try them for your veggie needs, and then the Sandhill Preservation Center [also very good folks] for tomatoes, more veggies, sweet potatoes at unbeatable prices.

(Our friend, Mark Korney also sells a huge variety of organic tomato seed for excellent rates, and is worth checking out. I have purchased from him and been very ssatisfied.)

Between those two, I doubt you will find a better bargain anywhere else, barring a few rare exceptions at Valueseeds [good because of small packets e.g. zukes 5 seeds, lettuce, carrots etc. but selection chancy.]

Unless you are growing an immense garden of more than 2 acres with dozens of different varieties, those two, and perhaps the GrowItalian folks [FranchiSementi packets are super value for Italian chard] should be able to take care of all your needs very nicely: tomatoes, peppers, cucurbits, . Even flowers.

Let us know what your opinion of MVS was.

mouse.
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2007   #13
arvisp
Tomatovillian™

I placed an order with them once a couple years ago. i didn't receive it in time for the growing season and complained, they sent me a replacement order. A couple weeks later the original order arrived. (no i didnt return one) Something in their mailing and order filling seems a bit askew. On the plus side their seeds germinate better than most and they do include free seeds with each order. I got a good Black Brandywine and Carribean red chili pepper in their free seed selections.
arvisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2007   #14
arvisp
Tomatovillian™

My above post concerns Rogueland seeds NOT MVS! I have no experience with mvs.
arvisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #15
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I used Anoika(sp) one year for 50 pkts off e-bay: Very happy with the whole experience. Great selection toms.
I used Roguelands last year for another 50 again very happy. More excellent toms.
I put a good report on Dave's Garden as a result.
Recommended them to a friend she is very UNhappy didn't get her order nor any reply to e-mails.
I won't use them again. I will amend my report on Dave's Garden.

Phreddy
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote