Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 12, 2014   #181
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Couldn't help myself. Sowed a flat of F3 Yellow Dwf x Sungold F1 today.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2014   #182
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hmcc2.jpg (424.1 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg hmcc3.jpg (451.0 KB, 238 views)

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old December 13, 2014   #183
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Ok that settles it. I am jealous of these plants and I'm not waiting until after Christmas!! I will sow them today get them started just under a small light and get the big lights out once they are potted up individually.
I want to see some seedlings growing.
You sent me seed labelled F4 HMCC F3-14. I presume it to be F3 seed. Do you expect a lot of difference in the plants and I am curious what traits to expect. Looking forward to the scent of tomato foliage and seeing what they do indoors in winter. Thank you for the seed!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2014   #184
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

haha! Do it!

Those are F4 seeds from F3 plant #14. Same cross as the pic above so they should be very compact plants. You'll get grape/cherries likely with a nipple. F3-14 is the plant in the striped pot posted last year.

The biggest question on these is flavor. We don't need any more micro-tom quality micros! The more sun/strong light the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Ok that settles it. I am jealous of these plants and I'm not waiting until after Christmas!! I will sow them today get them started just under a small light and get the big lights out once they are potted up individually.
I want to see some seedlings growing.
You sent me seed labelled F4 HMCC F3-14. I presume it to be F3 seed. Do you expect a lot of difference in the plants and I am curious what traits to expect. Looking forward to the scent of tomato foliage and seeing what they do indoors in winter. Thank you for the seed!
KarenO

Old December 13, 2014   #185
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Chris, Sungold smells just like S. Habrochaites. The smell segregates from the high brix trait at a ratio of 32:1 meaning if you grow 32 plants 1 of them will be very sweet without the typical sungold smell.

Combining high brix with excellent tomato flavor has been a bit difficult. So far, I've seen very sweet fruit in the F2 or F3, but it segregates the next generation indicating some of the genes for high brix are dominant and others are recessive. I got 1 F5 plant out of about 300 grown that exhibits high brix and outstanding tomato flavor.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2014   #186
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Oh boy. Guess I better plant a few more flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Chris, Sungold smells just like S. Habrochaites. The smell segregates from the high brix trait at a ratio of 32:1 meaning if you grow 32 plants 1 of them will be very sweet without the typical sungold smell.

Combining high brix with excellent tomato flavor has been a bit difficult. So far, I've seen very sweet fruit in the F2 or F3, but it segregates the next generation indicating some of the genes for high brix are dominant and others are recessive. I got 1 F5 plant out of about 300 grown that exhibits high brix and outstanding tomato flavor.

Old December 14, 2014   #187
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Oh boy. Guess I better plant a few more flats.
Of course, the solution to every tomato problem is "better plant a few more flats"
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #188
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

So far i have 9 of 12 seeds a sproutin' in the flat and 7 for 7 seeds a sproutin' in the cup. The rest in the flat are other dwarfs im workin on and test growing. Sorry the poor pic im on vacation. Yes i did bring my babies and the heat mat/controller on vacation. I know i know i have a problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20141215_150632.jpg (206.3 KB, 203 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2014   #189
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

These are the HMCC seedlings I planted on 11/24. It looks like are of the plants are going to have the rolled leaf. You can't really tell that from the picture but I can see it in the new leaf growth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMCC Seedlings.jpg (57.9 KB, 190 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2014   #190
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Yep. they roll even more at night it seems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0573.JPG (514.9 KB, 189 views)

Old December 17, 2014   #191
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris,
Started mine 4 days and and 7/13 are already up with no bottom heat. I expect the rest will come up before long too. fast little guys.
And Kay, your seedlings look really great!
Chris, does the rolled leaf trait mean any relative advantage or disadvantage or mainly just a different "look" to the plant
KO

Last edited by KarenO; December 17, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2014   #192
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I have no empirical data to support this, but, I would suspect that the rolled leaf would not be good from a disease/pest standpoint. I could imagine that leaves would not dry as well from restricted airflow and control with fungicides or other -cides might be more problematic simply from a mechanical standpoint. But, may not be an issue during the winter on a windowsill in dry indoor conditions and with pathogen inoculum relatively low.

I sure wish I knew what genes are involved in the phenotypes of this one. I thought maybe declinata but the leaves roll the opposite way from the TGRC description. Wilty-2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Chris,
Started mine 4 days and and 7/13 are already up with no bottom heat. I expect the rest will come up before long too. fast little guys.
And Kay, your seedlings look really great!
Chris, does the rolled leaf trait mean any relative advantage or disadvantage or mainly just a different "look" to the plant
KO

Old December 26, 2014   #193
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

An F3 micro-multiflora. Has spent its life confined under lights in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f3-1d.jpg (656.8 KB, 157 views)

Old December 26, 2014   #194
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Your plant sure does have dark green leafs. What are the tomatoes like? I can't wait to see my micros flower.

I am growing mine in the garage under lights too since I don't have windows in the right location. They are growing well and several have flower buds. I first noticed that Christmas morning. When the new leafs form they are curled but they seem to me as if they are changing as the grow.

Chris do you do any pruning at all? They sure are putting on a lot of suckers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microgrp TV.jpg (58.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Micro budstv.jpg (40.6 KB, 148 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #195
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

They look great! You should not need to prune those unless they get out of control (which I doubt they will do, and maybe discard those). The Hardin's miniature phenotype is exactly as you describe, lots of suckers on a bushy plant.

No tomatoes yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Your plant sure does have dark green leafs. What are the tomatoes like? I can't wait to see my micros flower.

I am growing mine in the garage under lights too since I don't have windows in the right location. They are growing well and several have flower buds. I first noticed that Christmas morning. When the new leafs form they are curled but they seem to me as if they are changing as the grow.

Chris do you do any pruning at all? They sure are putting on a lot of suckers.