Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 27, 2013   #1
JenniT
Tomatovillian™

Default DirectGardening.com

I recently ordered under 70 dollars worth of plants and seeds from this company, hesitantly, as there were mixed reviews. When I say mixed, I mean good, bad, and extra ugly. I must say though when my order was filled it was awesome! My order consisted of mixed lilies, ranunculus, holly hocks, muscadine grape vine, banana tree, butterfly bushes, forsythia bushes, and burning bushes.. A total of 61 plants for 64 dollars and change, shipped. I was skeptical but last year I spent a fortune and everything I planted died anyhow so I figured, what the heck.

When they arrived I was shocked at how nice they were (for dormant, as disclosed), they went into the ground immediately and all the shrubs/trees are budding up nicely. The butterfly bushes shouldn't start til June-ish so I didn't count them, but they do have nice big roots. The company gives a 1 year guarantee for anything that doesn't live, it's just a not so fun return process. They also sent me about 15 extra bulbs for free and a few tomato seeds, Trip-l-crop climbing! I was happy with the plants but didn't really need anymore tomatoes, as I had started the boy oh boy's and cherry's as well (more than I had space for). After reading up on the trip-l-crop climbing seeds they sent, I was excited. I actually found posts from this forum a few times and read up on everything "Trip-l-crop". The special little seeds were rumored to have extremely high climbing vines and extra large fruit, creating lots of excitement.

I started the seeds about a week ago in plastic clear cups, and I all I can say is that their root systems are amazing. By far surpassing my other plants. Only time will tell how they will progress but they are very cool little seedlings and I can't wait to see them vine up a trellis they will share with the muscadine grape.

Has anyone else ordered from them recently? Please let me know your experience. Their deals are incredible, if I had a bigger yard [I live in a condo ] I would really do some damage with their 1 cent sales. I'm new to ordering anything plant/seed via mail so any other input on other companies is more than welcome.. I started reading up on the long list pertaining to this forum topic. I'm a college student so when I see a deal I'm definitely going to try to save money where I can. I love coupons, clearance sales, just all and all good deals!!
"FRUGAL"
JenniT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #2
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying trip-L-crop for the first time this year too. I wonder how the plants will turn out. They do sound interesting. Good to hear a good review I will check the site out.

Colin
sio2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #3
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

I hear negative reviews all the time for them, and it surprises me because I buy from them every year and have never had a problem. Sometimes when you have a small budget you have to buy from what companies you can afford, and why pay $25 for one plant elsewhere when you can get it for $5.99 from Burgess (directgardening.com is same company)?

You won't find many here who like the company, but I sure do. I understand it's weaknesses but appreciate how their low prices can help people like me. I also feel a bit thankful that they got me back gardening after years of not doing it. A random catalog from Burgess arrived in the mail, I got the gardening bug... just had to try this stuff... and years later here I am
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote