Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 5, 2017   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default PSR-37

I was gifted a fresh packet of seeds of this tomato,
reading through old TV threads and debates about PL vs RL and variability of fruit quality etc from back in 2011. It is an OP version of the popular F1 early girl, Has anyone grown it recently? if so any pictures? The old threads have few photographs and many of the members then no longer post.
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2017   #2
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have tried that, and did one of my own for a few generations. I do not think it is as good as the F1. I also think I seen a post where somebody was calling it Dirty Girl, I don't think they were aware that it had already been done, or I am confusing something. I also crossed a PL EG with PL Blk Krim, now that is a good one, big red highly productive beefsteaks, that have a unique taste.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2017   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That sounds fantastic Mark. Is it F1?
This seed is a commercial pack from a reputable seed seller. I presume it’s stable. Do you know who de hybridized mine? And named it and any idea what the name means or what the letters stand for?
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; November 5, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old November 5, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://206.214.211.133/~tomatovl/sho...7430&styleid=3

The link above should help.

I was given seeds for PSR-37 and made a separate offer here at Tville.In the link abve there were several who commented on what they got,the original origin of the seeds and I hope some of the many pictures are still visible.

And be sure to look at links within links as well as is also noted.

There was a similar discussion at the then idig and Bill Jeffers,akaTravis here at Tville also commented.

I haven't grown it myself for many years, no reason to but no doubt still have lots of older seeds left somewhere,but don't ask me where.

Carolyn
Old November 5, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that’s the thread I read. No photos though that are still there. Seems like a number of people grew it but then it dropped off the radar. who dehybridized it?

KO
Old November 5, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Yes, that’s the thread I read. No photos though that are still there. Seems like a number of people grew it but then it dropped off the radar. who dehybridized it?

KO
Tim Peter's of the once active Peter's Seed and Research, aka PSR did it. Tim was bushwacked, if you will,and here's a good link from Tom Wagner and you'll see PSR-37 listed.

http://tatermaterseeds.com/smf/index.php?topic=22.0

Carolyn
Old November 5, 2017   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hmm interesting.
I guess I better just grow it and see for myself.
Thanks
KO
Old November 5, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
hmm interesting.
I guess I better just grow it and see for myself.
Thanks
KO
I picked just one out of this list

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pete...&bih=815&dpr=1

But there are other links there as well that make for some interesting reading.

I tried going to idig to see if I could dig out the best one, but when I tried to do that,which I have to do by switching browsers from AOL to Mozilla,I was told my Mozilla was out of date and did I want to update it now.

So I said myself, no I don't,I just want to go to bed,and that's what I want to do as soon as I make a few more stops here at Tville to check things out..

But

I made one last try to find my seed offer here via Google and I hit it big time with lots of info going back to France for the origin, and more, oh yes,Burpee was involved as well.

Enjoy the read, there's lots new that none of you here now would remember and lots of links within links to read as well, but I'm a senior citizen here and I did remember.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38058

Carolyn,hoping that at least some of the links that go back to idig will show some pictures, at least I tried. And be sure to note that not everyone who grew PSR-37 got the PL foliage the original had. And yes,I got sent the seeds by,now I may get this wrong,Silverseeds (Plural),not silverseed (singular).So that got cleared up as well.
Old November 6, 2017   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I grew it maybe five years ago from a couple of leftover seeds someone sent me that he said were from Carolyns previous offer. A million tomatoes with no taste, and I'm pretty fond of Early Girl. As I recall, I only got one plant and it had the wrong leaf type.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Seems like a lot of seed was given out, very little feedback from anyone who grew it. Thank you Linda for sharing your experience
I’ll try it and see I guess.
KarenO
Old November 6, 2017   #11
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That sounds fantastic Mark. Is it F1?
This seed is a commercial pack from a reputable seed seller. I presume it’s stable. Do you know who de hybridized mine? And named it and any idea what the name means or what the letters stand for?
KarenO
Karen, it is at F4
Old November 6, 2017   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I have tried that, and did one of my own for a few generations. I do not think it is as good as the F1. I also think I seen a post where somebody was calling it Dirty Girl, I don't think they were aware that it had already been done, or I am confusing something. I also crossed a PL EG with PL Blk Krim, now that is a good one, big red highly productive beefsteaks, that have a unique taste.
Isnt JDs C-Tex an Early Girl - Black Crim cross? Reg leaf I assume.....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In am getting very confused at this point for several reasons.

First,what is the reputable seed company still selling what they say is F1 Early Girl?

I was surprised that this selections,which it was,warrented a Wiki article,but here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Girl

I have many more links to give,but the one I want is the Fall performance thread I put up after folks have grown out the PSR one that summer where folks report back on what they thought of PSR-37 and other varieties they grew that summer.

Hopefully I can still find it, but it means doing a lot of back searching,like way back to find it.

I can only try.

So I won't put up the other links where it discusses the other seeds that Silverseeds was suppposed to send me for that same offer and why that happened.

Have I ever said that I really liked PSR when I grew it?No,I haven't so I agree with Linda in her post that it was nothing exceptional at all.

Carolyn
Old November 6, 2017   #14
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Isnt JDs C-Tex an Early Girl - Black Crim cross? Reg leaf I assume.....
It sure is, mine is a PL version.
Old November 6, 2017   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
In am getting very confused at this point for several reasons.

First,what is the reputable seed company still selling what they say is F1 Early Girl?

I was surprised that this selections,which it was,warrented a Wiki article,but here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Girl

I have many more links to give,but the one I want is the Fall performance thread I put up after folks have grown out the PSR one that summer where folks report back on what they thought of PSR-37 and other varieties they grew that summer.

Hopefully I can still find it, but it means doing a lot of back searching,like way back to find it.

I can only try.

So I won't put up the other links where it discusses the other seeds that Silverseeds was suppposed to send me for that same offer and why that happened.

Have I ever said that I really liked PSR when I grew it?No,I haven't so I agree with Linda in her post that it was nothing exceptional at all.

Carolyn
The packet I received packed for 2017 is from Sandhill
Imagine that
KarenO