Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old January 15, 2008   #1
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting any plants yet?

It's an exciting time of year! So far I only have 4 trays of onions going, but I will be starting Head Lettuces soon. I won't start tomatoes until the end of February, which will arrive before we know it. I'm still working on my tomato list. So far I have about 50 varieties, which I have to whittle down just a bit.

Lisa
Old January 22, 2008   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I've got 8 [self watering containers] in my greenhouse and I need to have something to plant in them come March so I'm considering what to start in them at this time and may do the following.

Winny the Pooh pepper for sure. Should be able to put 8 in one box since they only get about a foot tall. Shape wise the fruit reminds me of Gypsy, if that means anything to you. The fruit are crispy, apple-ish crunch when eaten fresh.

EARLY TYPES Seeds started on 1-22-07

25- Lime Green Salad
Lime Green Salad [TGS info] Diminutive plants bloom with bouquet-type sprays followed by loads of small lime green tomatoes that ripen further to amber. 3 to 5 oz. fruit is chartreuse inside and full of juice and good, tangy flavor that is somewhat spicy. This is a wonderful variety for growing in containers since plants stay small yet provide a big harvest. If planting in the garden, put these in front as an attractive border. Very tasty and novel variety. Determinate. 58 days.

26- Mano-rugose 30" Mano: [Brian Sanders info] 55 days, short determinate that ripened earlier than SFT for me. Tastes Great! From Gezain in Hungary. Mano both got about 2 to 2&1/2 feet for me last year, grown in 12 inch deep by 12 inch wide pots. I'd guess in the ground they might go a little larger but not too much. They are the rugose foliaged true tree-type, (as Craig has recently coined it). They are very tasty 'maters. Plenty of 'em too. Mano is a beefsteak type.

28- Praleska 24" Praleska: early, determinate red, introduced by Belorussian Institute of Vegetable Gardening. 3-4 oz. Good taste, 106 Russian days [from germination], meaty, round, very tasty, 12-15 fruit in a cluster, F resistant, Belarusian 24"/5oz/
Old January 23, 2008   #3
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Earl, sounds like with a bit of luck, you'll be eating earlies about the time you set out your garden. Hope so.

Are you using an electric heater at nite in the GH ? Some days too probably, what with clouds and temps.

I'm planning to start a few on Feb 15th for an early
set out under a plastic hoop on a raised bed.

That will give me a one month head start for a few.

Only a few more weeks-------------Hard to wait !

Lisa, could you post your tomato list once yo get it narrowed down ?
Old January 24, 2008   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Mano is a beefsteak type??

Not in my experience, but it is a lovely little tomato - not a great picture - from last year

my original seed came from Geza as well

hmm, was wondering what small red I would grow in 08
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_Mano2818.JPG (1.27 MB, 41 views)
Old February 13, 2008   #5
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

I have 125 of them picked out and started. The hard part is deciding the other 50- maybe 100 I want to grow this year. I've volunteered to do grow outs for a couple of people, so those are the first priority. I want to save my own seeds this year as well, so that is the second priority, these last 50 (maybe 100) are the ones I want to grow "because" and these are proving to be difficult to decide upon!
Old February 13, 2008   #6
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Lisa,

We still have snow on the ground, can plant about the end of March!

Good luck! I am still looking for a mudcat here in God's country!

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
Old February 26, 2008   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

PNW_D, you may be right.

Here's a few that I've got started:

Lime Green Salad [TGS info] Diminutive plants bloom with bouquet-type sprays followed by loads of small lime green tomatoes that ripen further to amber. 3 to 5 oz. fruit is chartreuse inside and full of juice and good, tangy flavor that is somewhat spicy. This is a wonderful variety for growing in containers since plants stay small yet provide a big harvest. If planting in the garden, put these in front as an attractive border. Very tasty and novel variety. Determinate. 58 days.

Moskvich, Moskwich, Moskovich 9 Rare, 60 days. Medium red fruit from 4-6 ounces. Originates from the Kaluga region in Western Russian. A somewhat flattened shape and no cracking. Moskvich is extra early but you would never know it from the taste! Yes, it is that delicious. The plants are remarkably healthy, disease free with heavy yields. Cool weather does not stop this one! Earlier than Stupice. Indeterminate. The Moskvich tomato was brought to America from Eastern Siberia in 1991, it has an impressive hardiness, size and taste. The deep red tomatoes have a smooth texture and rich taste that belie its earliness. Fruits avg. in the 4-6 oz. range, and are smooth and globe-shaped with a small stem scar. 24"

Praleska: early, determinate red, introduced by Belorussian Institute of Vegetable Gardening. 3-4 oz. Good taste, 106 Russian days [from germination], meaty, round, very tasty, 12-15 fruit in a cluster, F resistant, Belarusian 24"/5oz/

30" Mano: [Brian Sanders info] 55 days, short determinate that ripened earlier than SFT for me. Tastes Great! From Gezain in Hungary. Mano, and Zomok both got about 2 to 2&1/2 feet for me last year, but they were grown in 12 inch deep by 12 inch wide pots. I'd guess in the ground they might go a little larger but not too much. Jennifer (canadiantomato), I believe grew Mano last year from seeds that I sent her, and she reported back to me about the same. They are the rugose foliaged true tree-type, (as Craig has recently coined it). They both make very tasty 'maters. Plenty of 'em too. I don't remember if I told you or not, but Zomok is a plum shaped 'mater, and Mano is more of a beefsteak type, but not quite as big. Brian Sanders, Oklahoma
Old February 28, 2008   #8
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

Okay here is my boring list..

Kellogs (my favorite)
Tiffin Mennonite
Andrew Rahart's
Sprite (free from TGS)
Earl's Faux
Heatherington Pink
Black Cherry
Omar's Lebanese
Mariana's Peace
Cherokee Purple

That is all I have room for due to shade and "She who must be obeyed"

Ray
Old February 28, 2008   #9
tomatoaddict

Quote:
That is all I have room for due to shade and "She who must be obeyed"
That was funny.
I wasn't planning on attending the plant swap this spring. I have so many I'm growing but I might have to go just to see VGary.
Old March 3, 2008   #10
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Except for a few early tomatoes (60 - 10 each of Anna Russian, Lime Green Salad, Kimberly, Taxi, Fourth of July[F1] and Black Krim), Tomorrow is the BIG DAY! Tomato seed sowing! I must confess, I have not whittled the list down yet! I guess I will be forced to do so tomorrow when I run out of flats and space and time and .....

I will make my list as I go. I think I will wait to post my grow list for the Plant Swap until 4 weeks from now (Potting Up Time) just in case I do not get good germination from some of the older seeds.

The lighted plant stands are full, but the greenhouse has been readied (I hope) to received the flats of onions and head lettuces to make room for about 1,000 tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.

The onions and lettuces will be put in the ground underneath row covers as soon as I can put tiller to dry enough soil (which could be awhile judging by tonight's Flood Warning!). It's the MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!

Lisa