Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old August 3, 2010   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Introducing Maiden's Gold

After more than two years of careful work, I have revived a tomato with a history that goes back into the 1950's. I had carried the seeds around for more than 20 years and every now and then would raise a couple of plants and take fresh seeds. The last time I had grown some was in 1989 in Florida in a concrete flower pot. We had a fire in 1997 and I had resigned myself to having lost the seeds. Then, my wife was going through some old picture albums and there was the envelope.

In 2008, I was awakened by Carolyn and others as to what heirloom tomatoes were and why they should be maintained and saved for future generations to enjoy. So, in 2009, I sent Carolyn a couple pictures of where I finally got one of the 21 year old seeds to germinate (took two tries and more than 9 weeks). That plant delivered 5 tomatoes before the heat of Atlanta killed it. I managed to get about 250 mature seeds.

This year, I was able to get 5 plants from 6 seeds and they have grown fantastically. The pictures below show this wonderful tomato which I have named "Maiden's Gold". The taste is a wonderful full/mild with a generous helping of that old fashioned zing.

The average weight harvested this year was about 13 ounces. However, you can see that some will exceed a pound. I will be adding this tomato to Tatiana's database shortly.

Regular leaf, indeterminate, large plant, mid to late season, very prolific. Has a moderate shelf life after harvest, but, like others, will become mushy if left too long.

I now have enough seed and, Thanks to Carolyn, enough savvy to prolong this tomato into the future.

Not all heirlooms are made from precious metals and stones - Most are made of wonderful indelible memories.

Please enjoy one of my memories.

Ted

This is one of the fruit I got in 1987 from a container on an apartment balcony in Knoxville, TN. Yeah, that's me (when I was still good-lookin').
MaidensGold87.JPG

Here's the much awaited seedling and sprout that finally came in 2009.
MaidensGold.JPG MaidensGold2.JPG

This is the first fruit I got after reviving that single seed. That's a Pritamin Paprika pepper with it for size comparison.
MVC-032F.JPG

From this year's harvest, here's the sliced view and a good look at the locules after seeds were removed.
MaidensGold1.JPG MaidensGold2a.JPG

And finally, here's some of the larger tomatoes harvested this year.
MaidensGold3.JPGMaidenGold5.JPGMaidensGold4.JPG

And now, I would like to give a very public "THANK YOU" to Carolyn. Her patience and endless informative answers to my "newbie" questions over on that forum where I can't go now, kindled the heirloom flame in me and motivated this old man to try to recover what he had unknowingly and foolishly almost lost.

Carolyn, my usually good vocabulary cannot find words that are adequate.

A very thankful

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #2
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear of your success, Ted. Looks to be a nice fruit.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #3
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Very cool Ted!! Now you have to tell us the beginning story of where the tomato came from, and why you hung onto it.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

And where to send the SASE for seeds!

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #5
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Yes, yes, yes!!! She's a real beaut'! Congrats Ted!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Very cool Ted!! Now you have to tell us the beginning story of where the tomato came from, and why you hung onto it.
Remy
MY question as well Ted.

Now I know WHY you named it Maiden's Kiss, but what was the name of the variety that you said goes back to the 1950's?

And glad I could help out.
Old August 3, 2010   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

First of all, Carolyn, I have named it Maiden's Gold. Maidens Kiss is already a known variety.

This was my grandfather's tomato. As a little boy, I remember him showing me those huge golden, globe shaped tomatoes. He grew it every year until his death. The seeds remained in my branch of the family after that. After I joined the Air Force in 1963, I had seeds sent to me at my first permanent assignment in Washington State. Soon, I was the only one with any seeds left. Nobody in the family thought about "heirloom" or anything. It was just a good tomato. I grew it whenever I could or when the whim hit me. Eventually, I grew it in Washington, California, New Hampshire, Virginia, New Mexico, Texas, Tennessee, and Florida. Some of the breaks were as much as 5 years.

So this brings me to 1989 and a second floor east facing, screened in patio of an apartment in Melbourne, FL. I only got 41 seeds from that one plant. And those were the ones in the envelope. They had been saved on a paper towel straight from the tomato.

When I launched my attempt to germinate the 21 year old seeds, I must admit that my expectations were not good. And my supply of 41 seeds was greatly limited. The internet sites led me to believe that special things had to be done to get germination from seeds this old. I didn't have the experience and knowledge that experts like Craig and Carolyn have. And I didn't really understand some of the things they did to get old seeds to come alive. But, I had to try.

I think the trick that triggered germination last year was that I soaked the seeds in some duluted Miracle Grow Organic Fertilizer for about 20 hours. After that second planting, I was down to where only 26 seeds remained between success and extinction.

When that little seed popped thru the surface of that mix, it was like the birth of a child. My DW kept saying that I was obsessed with that plant surviving. In hind sight, she was probably right. It was raised in an 18 gallon pot full of Miracle Grow Professional Potting Mix and some other things I do normally to my containerized plants.

So, there you are.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #8
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Great story Ted.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #9
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Nice hearing the story of your granddad's tomato. Looks meaty inside.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #10
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

What a wonderful journey! Thank you for sharing the story... and hopefully, someday, the seeds! I'm sure your Grandpa would be touched by your efforts!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #11
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the best way to insure the continuation of this fine tomato for posterity is to proliferate them amongst your fellow Tomatovillians.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #12
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. Very good read. Hope it'll get passed on.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #13
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Great story and good looking tomato Ted. Too bad for me it is a late season tomato.
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010   #14
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

So now we know where your tomato growing roots came from my friend. And a family heirloom to-boot. Very nice indeed. Ami
Old August 4, 2010   #15
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great story, and how wonderful that you where able to save it!
It looks like a very nice, meaty tomato
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote