Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old June 26, 2011   #1
Garry
Tomatovillian™

Default Parsley seed stalk cut?

I bought plants from WM this year and they have done very well for me. About half of them are producing seed stalks. Should I cut them off or leave them alone? Can I still cut leaves from these? Isn't parsley a biennial? Shouldn't they all be going to seed, or do I have confused plants?
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011   #2
larskyler
Tomatovillian™

From what I understand parsley is biennial, but usually grown as an annual since flavor drops the second year. I usually let my parsley go to seed and try to collect what I can. Of course many seeds fall to the ground and I get surprise parsley next year. This is for leaf parsley not the root kind. I have never grown parsley root but plan to try it this fall.
larskyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2011   #3
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

The probably sold plants that were planted last fall. If planted for this season, they most likely would not be going to seed - they do that the next season. Most years mine live over, produce a large crop of early parsley and go to seed. I have new ones coming along. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote