Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 30, 2012   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Montauk & Mirai 148Y Corn

Purchased both Montauk Bicolor and Mirai 148Y yesterday from Jung Seeds. Sounds great by the descriptions, but hoping someone here who has grown them will chime in.

Montauk had a great review from a customer on Jung's site, so thought I'd try it. I tried growing corn indoors in front of a window a few years ago, but it didn't work out well. For some reason I have a fascination with growing corn so may as well try it this year. First indoors under lights this winter, and then outdoors next spring/summer.

Like the fact most corn seed packets contain 100 seeds or more, and it loses germination rates slowly.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Burpee has a container corn now.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Deborah. This year I'll give these two types a try. The one variety I'm really curious to try since the customer review mentioned he had grown corn for decades and after he tried Montauk it was the only one he needed, (Or something to that affect.) But I'm looking forward to both that and Mirai. I wont have much space to work with unless I win the lottery before spring time, so I have more than enough seeds for now. But thanks for the tip.
Old January 12, 2013   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I grew a tiny patch of the mirai about three years ago. Having never grown it before, I didn't do the best job of it.

However, of the corn that I got, half of it was eaten raw in the field. standing by the stalk. It is so sweet and tender it just blew me away!

I haven't tried it again, as the garden spot I was using is really unsuitable for corn, but if I had a good space it would be back!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I planted three small trial plots of various sweet corn varieties last year, and the Mirai 148Y was among them. This is what I can say: Crows really like the sprouted seed! I know it came up fine, but the next time I looked at it, not a single plant was left.
Sigh.
Old May 25, 2016   #6
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

So Omaha (and others), did you end up growing the Montauk and if so, how did it do?

My best standby is Honey Select, a TripleSweet, but I'm sitting on some Montauk seeds, Honey Select, and How Sweet It Is ss seeds and wanting to plant a small block or a few hills asap. I also have Serendipity which is similar to H.S. but a bi-color.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #7
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
So Omaha (and others), did you end up growing the Montauk and if so, how did it do?

My best standby is Honey Select, a TripleSweet, but I'm sitting on some Montauk seeds, Honey Select, and How Sweet It Is ss seeds and wanting to plant a small block or a few hills asap. I also have Serendipity which is similar to H.S. but a bi-color.
Hi korney. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to have an outdoor garden so no corn. But I did have a nice trade here with someone (can't recall who it was) who followed up letting me know they liked Montauk. It was someone that had a farm and they wanted to test it out. My memory's not the greatest, however I recall it was a lady I traded with who said her husband liked it quite a bit. If I'm wrong maybe she'll she this and correct me.

I know I'm not much help with good info on this variety since I was unable to grow it myself.

Signed,

The Hapless Gardener
Old May 27, 2016   #8
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
I grew a tiny patch of the mirai about three years ago. Having never grown it before, I didn't do the best job of it.

However, of the corn that I got, half of it was eaten raw in the field. standing by the stalk. It is so sweet and tender it just blew me away!

I haven't tried it again, as the garden spot I was using is really unsuitable for corn, but if I had a good space it would be back!
I know this is from more than three years ago 'livinonfaith', but somehow I missed your post. If I had seen it I would have thanked you for your review of this variety. Sounds like a good tasting one.