Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2018   #346
HappyGardener23
Tomatovillian™

Gary, add me to the chorus of very grateful participants. The envelope arrived and brightened my Saturday. I think that I will be researching the varieties for many days to come as I dream of summer. Thank you for all that you do for the love of tomatoes.
HappyGardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #347
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

My envelope arrived a couple days ago. I have been looking up tomato descriptions and there are so many I want to grow. Won't have the space for everything.
Then there are the beans, many new ones too.
Thank you so much for all your work.
Betty
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #348
coolbythecoast
Tomatovillian™

A big Thank You to everyone who provided so many varieties and to Gary for all his hours and hours of work.

Gary
coolbythecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #349
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Well, it was very humbling. I thought I was kinda on same page with what is out there, like follow posted threads who grows what, read catalogs etc. There were so many varieties I never heard about that it will take its own special time to investigate.
Many many thanks!
Tormato, I hope you are very proud of achieving your goal- how many peeps have to completely overhaul their plans now? LOL
I'm not proud of wrecking their plans, although I realize it's most likely to happen.

No, the goal has always been to overload the addicts, those that must try to get every variety they desire, even those varieties that that don't desire or have yet to even hear of. I think I was fairly successful this year, as there were about half as many participants as in the past. And it meant newbies got almost twice as many varieties (200+) as past newbies.

Now, can someone go to the google/doc in the Wanted Forum and delete all of the entries, so we can start fresh for next year. With my very limited computer knowledge, I tried and failed.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #350
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Lol!!

Edit: I thought that last sentence was a great joke, not 'wanting' to shorten the list. But maybe it is a technical issue.
Anyway, my personal wishlist went from huge to almost nothing thanks to mmmm.

Last edited by Ann123; February 28, 2018 at 02:19 AM.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #351
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Now, can someone go to the google/doc in the Wanted Forum and delete all of the entries, so we can start fresh for next year. With my very limited computer knowledge, I tried and failed.
Done!
Old March 3, 2018   #352
salix
Tomatovillian™

Yay - got my very stuffed envelope yesterday!! Only took a couple of hours to sort alphabetically and list. Took another several hours to find descriptions for most of them. And now - just have to get them into Excel (that may take until April).

Thank you Gary for all your organization and work. Thanks to all participants who grew, harvested, processed and packaged seeds. What a wonderful assortment, and most of them were new to me. Just loved the variety in packaging - the wonderful smell of Constant Comment tea from one, the most delightful little sewn packets from ?Spain ? Czech (haven't opened them yet), the beautifully labelled and complete-with-all-pertinent-information on others. What an absolute joy to be part of such a swap, and NOW the planning can begin in earnest!
Old June 19, 2018   #353
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

In a few weeks I'll be starting the 2018 thread. In the meantime, I currently now have room for about 50 PMs. So, anyone looking to PM me any of their Nifty Fifty candidates, may do so.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #354
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like 50:50, Nifty!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #355
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if I will make it to 50 at this rate. It's a little to early for me to select a candidate because I have no tomatoes! The incredibly high heat we have had for several weeks has stopped all fruitset. I have eaten one Bloody Butcher and one Jakoda (other fruits on the plant won't ripen). Even Matina and Stupice haven't produced a single tomato, ripe or otherwise. Incredibly lettuce is going gangbusters.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote