Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 23, 2018   #241
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip on Wild Garden Seed vendor. I never heard of them but will check them out later.

Baker's Rocky Top Lettuce Mix germinates in 2-3 days here. I mostly don't cover at all.

I'm sowing Baker's Red Wing Lettuce tonight along with some others.

I will keep track on which is the fastest.

I found that the pelleted ones do better as transplants. Probably my last year buying pelleted one.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #242
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - When I came down to your seed swap a couple of years ago, I came home with lettuce in a small peat pellet. I then bought peak pellets and haven't had any luck with them. What is the trick?
Old December 23, 2018   #243
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - When I came down to your seed swap a couple of years ago, I came home with lettuce in a small peat pellet. I then bought peak pellets and haven't had any luck with them. What is the trick?
It wasn't really a secret.I wet and expand the pellets, then sprinkle lettuce seeds over the tops and press them in after I tear the gauze open to expose more of the pellet top. Then I bring them inside into the A.C., and I put them under a light we have installed under our top kitchen cabinets. Just keep it moist. I found out the lettuces germinated better in the cool, with direct bright light. They take 2-3 days to germinate.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2018   #244
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Bower, I think I will try the Red Romaine that you posted about. Several years ago I did buy some as seedlings and they were good. Any particular site you purchased from?
I also love Merveille de 4 saisons but none sprouted.
I will order some lettuce seeds from Bakers, never bought lettuce from them but other things. The seeds I sowed this year were purchased this year, the ones from Target, that's why I'm mad at the poor germination. Most were Burpee brand. I'm going to sow every seed left over, this weekend, come what may. Never thought I'd use 300 seeds of anything for my small garden but it's like I'm throwing them away as I probably won't see any sprout now. I'll start anew next year .
Peebee this Red Romaine came to me from Nicky's swap. It is super dark red. I can share you some seeds if you want to try it, send me a pm with your addy. I have Mde4S seeds as well and they are fresh.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2018   #245
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Linda, I went on Bakers site and couldn't find any mixes in lettuces. Then I searched for Lettuce Mix and they appeared under Salad Blends . Most other seed sites, they put all lettuces together on one page, that way you won't miss it. I buy most lettuces as mixes so if you hadn't specifically posted about the mix, I wouldn't have seen it at all. Thanks!
Cool Peebee! Happy to help . I discovered the lettuce mix/salad blends last season and the reviews were excellent so I bought a mix and grew it in the cold frame last season and thought it was pretty good.

Next year, along with the lettuce, I plan to try Chard Verde de Taglia, along with some Perpetual Spinach as well to see if that keeps the season going a little more consistently.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018   #246
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Peebee this Red Romaine came to me from Nicky's swap. It is super dark red. I can share you some seeds if you want to try it, send me a pm with your addy. I have Mde4S seeds as well and they are fresh.
Gee thanks Bower! How kind of you. Sending you a PM now.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018   #247
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I heartily endorse Wild Garden, and what they are doing with leafy vegetables!!

I have also gotten great mustards from them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Thanks for the tip on Wild Garden Seed vendor. I never heard of them but will check them out later.

Baker's Rocky Top Lettuce Mix germinates in 2-3 days here. I mostly don't cover at all.

I'm sowing Baker's Red Wing Lettuce tonight along with some others.

I will keep track on which is the fastest.

I found that the pelleted ones do better as transplants. Probably my last year buying pelleted one.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018   #248
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Lettuce entertain you

I haven't grown lettuce in years and then it was only mesclun . I saw this revived thread and was inspired. I'm sowing these outside in miscellaneous pots today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1227181112.jpg (338.4 KB, 155 views)
Old December 27, 2018   #249
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

In my experiment from sowing lettuce seeds the other day, Bakers Paris Island and Bakers Red Mix came in first with a close second to Harris' (GardenTrends) ButterCrunch which is pelleted and was part of a 5 type set. Also tied with the ButterCrunch was Victory's Little Gem; these were not new seeds either.

--
Also from a prior experiment of Johnny's mix vs Baker's Rocky Top mix, they were equal for growth. Johnny's has much more red colors. But for that you could buy both Baker's Rocky Top and their all red mix and do it yourself for the same price and get tons more seeds.

Has anyone ever heard of Ray Tyler's growing lettuce year round program. He lives in Tennessee and has 100+ temps in the summer. He is now marketing his program for farmers but too bad there isn't a cheapo backyard gardening system for people like who just want to eat lettuce year round. I can experiment with all the seeds I bought. lol

I use to be able to grow lettuce 9 months of the year; but not any more. it just takes so long to grow.''
Old January 1, 2019   #250
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just started a ton of Paris Island directly into one of my big containers the other day.
Have no idea how this will work out.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #251
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination

A week ago I sowed mesclun/baby greens outside in 3 long rectangular containers. All three containers have sprouts. There's a very good chance I can leave them outside until they mature. I haven't tried to grow any lettuce in years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0106191537.jpg (623.1 KB, 77 views)
Old January 6, 2019   #252
PlainJane

Looking good! Just had the first salad tonight from the fall greens.
Old January 6, 2019   #253
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Looking good! Just had the first salad tonight from the fall greens.
No photo and it didn't happen!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #254
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
No photo and it didn't happen!
Hahaha. Pics forthcoming.
Old January 7, 2019   #255
PlainJane

I scavenged a bit to make dinner salads but there are some greens left.

I wish all my snails would move next door while they’re at it.