Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2017   #781
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yep. When weather rips our gardens it is trivial. Too easy to start again, always another season. When you lose your loved ones it's another story.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #782
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

That is a tragedy. I heard that on the news earlier this afternoon. Too many people running around like Superman (10' tall and bullet proof) thinking nothing bad happens to them, it happens to other people. And then they learn the hard way. It can happen and when it does it happens very quickly. Sad stuff!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #783
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
Very muggy here with rain on the way. Had lots of weeds so I've spent hour and a half pulling and raking, suckering and tying. Went to WalMart o630 for $17 worth of yarn. Threw out ten pounds of 6-12-12 and am getting ready for another 30 sweaty minutes with the tiller. Next week looks like 70s and cool. Weird weather yr for sure here along the Beautiful Ohio River. But I have lots of good tomatoes in spite of the first BER in my garden that amounted to much. Big Beef is simply amazing. Wish I liked them like the big pinks and bi colored ones.
You are just up river from me.
Old June 22, 2017   #784
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

So sad about the boy.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #785
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
So sad about the boy.
Hickory, dickory, dock, the parents should be in a cell block.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #786
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Well we dont know all of the facts nor will we ever.
I am sure they will create their own hell if they are loving parents.
It might even lead to a divorce by blaming each other for something that isn't either one of their fault.
Maybe the child slipped out with them not knowing.
Many a time my parents sent me into harms way on the farm with cattle.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #787
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's one of the weather stories on Accuweather. They say the log was 200 pounds.

Tomorrow there is a heat advisory for a huge chunk of Texas 105+ heat indexes etc.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #788
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It's one of the weather stories on Accuweather. They say the log was 200 pounds.

Tomorrow there is a heat advisory for a huge chunk of Texas 105+ heat indexes etc.
Yes a freak accident.
More weather related is they let some punk a$$ed 20 year old kid have his dog back in Manor Texas after he left the puppy in a his car while he was in Walmart for half an hour.
Almost 100 degree heat in the shade.
They had to break in the car to get the poor feller out while punk was inside Walmart.
The puppy was covered in fleas and had abrasions all over it.
He is being punished for the act but they are letting him have the dog back.
No they need to lock him in the car covered in fleas in the hot sun so he can see how it feels.
Then when they let him out stomp a mud hole in his a$$.
Then let him have the puppy back.

Worth
Old June 22, 2017   #789
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

What a horrible thing to happen. These parents are grieving more than I want to experience. The loss of a child...

Pretty sure they didn't expect a log to land on their kid. Being on the beach was a bad decision they have to live with the rest of their lives. Why not pray for them instead of condemning them? We've all made bad decisions/choices.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #790
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
I thought the same thing, why was he in the water in the first place? Golly Gee.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 22, 2017   #791
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

True, but I don't understand why you would willingly put a child in harm's way. The beach house was right on the gulf with tropical storm / hurricane making landfall. Plenty of time and notice to get hotel 5 miles inland.

I'm all for the come he'll or high water attitude, but not with kids. I just think it was a poor choice and preventable accident. Agree about the total devastation and tragic event. My thoughts and prayers do go out to those affected, but still think the whole situation was rather dumb, they probably should not have been there in the first place.

...but then again I have ridden plenty of storms with drink in hand. So not in position to judge. Please disregard earlier statement.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #792
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here is the story http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/10...tropical-storm "The Baldwin County Sheriff's Office said a 10-year-old boy was standing only a few feet outside a condo where his family was staying on vacation. A large log between the boy and the waterfront was then picked up by a wave, hitting him."

I didn't want to look up the story, but I needed to know more. A death of a child is a horrible thing. It was a freak accident.

Foot, I agree with you in post 791.

EDIT: As a parent and grandparent, I guess I am a little overprotective? I do my best to keep children safe. Your children, my children, their children.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 22, 2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added Opinion
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #793
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breeze View Post
What a horrible thing to happen. These parents are grieving more than I want to experience. The loss of a child...

Pretty sure they didn't expect a log to land on their kid. Being on the beach was a bad decision they have to live with the rest of their lives. Why not pray for them instead of condemning them? We've all made bad decisions/choices.
Very well said. From what I understand they were vacationing. The condo was a very short distance from the beach and the boy was on the shore. Father was outside as well along with some other children. He saw the wave and the log coming in on his son, I cannot imagine the horror. My heart goes out to them.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #794
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Weather Updated: Jun 23 3:50AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
For Aransas County, Texas
HEAT ADVISORY FROM 12PM CDT FRI UNTIL 7PM CDT FRI ...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING. TEMPERATURE...HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 110 AND 115 DEGREES THIS AFTERNOON WITH ISOLATED AREAS AS HIGH AS 118 DEGREES.

IMPACTS...PROLONGED OUTDOOR ACTIVITY WITHOUT PROPER REST... HYDRATION...OR OTHER PRECAUTIONARY ACTIONS MAY RESULT IN HEAT EXHAUSTION OR EVEN HEAT STROKE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS.

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT HEAT INDICES OF 110 DEGREES OR HIGHER ARE EXPECTED OVER MOST OF THE AREA FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS. PROLONGED EXPOSURE COMBINED WITH PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COULD CAUSE HEAT EXHAUSTION AND EVEN HEAT STROKE. THE ELDERLY, THE VERY YOUNG, THE SICK, AND PEOPLE WITH HEART CONDITIONS ARE MOST AT RISK IN EXTREME HEAT. WEAR LIGHTWEIGHT, LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING, AS IT REFLECTS HEAT AND SUNLIGHT AND HELPS YOUR BODY STAY COOLER.

DRINK PLENTY OF LIQUIDS, PREFERABLY WATER, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT FEEL THIRSTY. AVOID ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES. TRY TO GET OUT OF THE HEAT FOR A FEW HOURS EACH DAY AND INTO AN AIR CONDITIONED PLACE OR SWIMMING POOL. REDUCE, ELIMINATE, OR RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO THE COOLEST TIMES OF THE DAY. IF YOU MUST BE OUTSIDE, REDUCE YOUR ACTIVITIES. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS AND WEAR LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING.

The wind has been howling at the windows all night long.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 23, 2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old June 23, 2017   #795
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dead calm and muggy as all get out here.

Worth