Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 24, 2007   #16
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I find this compost tea thing very interesting. Thanks for all the great information. I think I am going to try it! How much are you using it during the growing season on your plants? Is it good to put it in the beds when they are not being used to enhance the soil instead of adding more compost?
Thanks,
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #17
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

small white worms that are bigger than eyelashes are most likely potworms. not a problem.

my soil just seems to work better with regular applications of compost tea. I dont buy molasses either, whatver honey or sorghum syrup is getting old, goes into the bucket!

i use a toille baggy I made, vermicompost, rainwater, and an aquarium bubbler with 3 heads.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #18
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link to the "acresusa" website with some reprints of articles from previous issues of their monthly magazine. A couple on compost tea and some others as well. Ami
http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/articles.htm

Michael, you have a PM.
Old May 2, 2007   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Put in my order today to T&J Enterprises for there Yucca extract and their Tea refill kit. I'm going to make my own brewer as it looks pretty straight forward and I have everything I need already. They have a movie on the site thats takes you through the brewing of the tea and applying it to your plants. Good stuff. So I will post my results as they come in. Ami
Old May 2, 2007   #20
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Why buy the Yucca extract for a sticker, I use unsulfered molasses. It not only feeds the plant and the micro herd, if added 1Tablespoon to a gallon of mix, it adhears to the plant. after a day or two you do not have sticky leaves as it is absorbed in to the plant.
Old May 2, 2007   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bmaster, Really didn't think about it to be honest. Thats why we have this forum. I'll have to get some info on it. BTW, if you were here in germany your name would be "Biermeister". Ami
Old May 3, 2007   #22
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

I have been brewing for 30+ years and still working on being a Biermeister. Haven't made it yet as with tomato growing, I have more to learn before I can claim that title. Enjoyed your country twice. Once in a reforger as a reserve and once in passing when injured in "Desert Storm" Great beer and not enough time to try them all.
Old May 3, 2007   #23
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bmaster, On your way back from desert storm if you stopped at Landstuhl regional med center then you know the area I live in. On the yucca/molasses issue I believe there is a compound in yucca that actually opens the pores up on the plant increasing the uptake of the tea nutrients. Still researching it. Ami
Old May 7, 2007   #24
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Yes that is where I was held for a couple of days, it reminded me of Western Washington or Oregon. I was given a squad of Mud Marines to shepherd and it was a easy duty as I knew what a were the nearest Gest Houses were and they just wanted beer and food other than b and mre's. It didn't take much beer for them as most hadn't had any for 6 months or more and their tolerance was on the low side. They did try to make up for what they did get while in the sand.
The reforger was on a mountain top that had been leveled for a airfield in the Fulda Gap area. Coldest winter in about 30 years when we were there. Good thing we were from Colorado and use to the snow and cold. We were a hospital unit and treated a number of Frost bite cases. Went in to Gessin (sp) and I remember drinking Gessin Gold. Great beer. I did not realize how much pork was eaten. Great meals.
Old June 24, 2007   #25
TJS
Tomatovillian™

I have brewed alfalfa tea, worm casting tea (bedding for worm bin was compost). I have not been able to folier spray yet as I keep clogging sprayers even though I have used paint strainers etc.
I just started a new witches brew a few minutes ago, as this thread has given me inspiration. This batch has worm castings, alfalfa meal, corn meal, molasses, yeast, liquid kelp (see why I called it a witches brew ). I only use a 1 liter water bottle since my garden is small and will dilute. This time I'm going to strain with an old T shirt. If it doesn't kill everything it may be a good thing
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2007   #26
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I know this pic is all over the place ...

But:

1. collect seaweed from beach
2. place in bucket
3. add water
4. let ferment for 2+ weeks
5. either sieve seaweed out or just apply to your plants ...
6. enjoy maters !

~ Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2007   #27
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

TJS, I strain mine with a paint strainer and use a hose end sprayer. See link and have had no problems.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1279144
You can adjust the strength of the product sprayed and works like a champ. I've been making/applying my tea once a week as a foliar and a drench. I also add yucca extract to the tea when I apply it. The folks where I buy my concentrate to make my tea recommend the 8oz setting on the hose end sprayer when applying the tea. Ami
Old June 26, 2007   #28
TJS
Tomatovillian™

Thanks amideutch for the advice. This weekend I will go and purchase a hose end sprayer! Any thoughts about all the stuff in the witches brew. I have been known to over do things when I get into them.
Thanks, tim
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2007   #29
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

TJS, your "Witches Brew" looks like it has nothing but good stuff. Your plants will tell the story and keep us posted on the results. You can use your paint strainer when applying with the HES (hose end sprayer). Don't worry about using an old T-Shirt. Ami
Old July 3, 2007   #30
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I use an old tshirt as a tea bag. Never thought about the paint strainers! I also use store bought compost with manure in it and can sure tell the difference in a good one and a bad one. One makes dirty water the other makes dark brown tea and in a hurry too. I often drop the tea bag back into another 5 gallon bucket of clean water when it is really good compost and let it sit around while I continue to aerate the water then use the second bucket for diluting. The compost I got last week was really good and wet and I got a lot more from my tea bag than one bucket of weak tea for diluting-I got three pretty dark looking batches.

I do add a handful of cornmeal to my tea bag and I do put unsulphered molasses in the tea as well. The only place I found dry molasses was at Tractor Supply Store in the horse feed section. I am looking for kelp and seaweed as additives to the final product but have never put them in from the start. I just add whatever I need for whichever plant right before I spray or water them.

I use my tea as both a spray and a drench. I also will scoop out a 16 or 20 oz cup while it is brewing and mix with water to water seedlings and my seedlings did really well this year!
Kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote