Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old December 5, 2016   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default If you like Dragon Tongue..

We've been growing Dragon Tongue bush beans for a few years now and just love them (for fresh eating). We had grown Blue Lake 274 previously (and still do), but Dragon Tongue fills the bulk of our bean patch now days. It has got me wondering, is there another bush bean for fresh eating that I need to try? Along the lines of if you like Dragon Tongue, then you've really gotta try...........?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I found Dragon Tongue to be tough but maybe I waited too long to pick them?
Old December 5, 2016   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried Dragon Tongue, but I really like Provider bush beans. They have a big flush, then they are gone, then they come back later in the season!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Strike is the variety that my family has always grown for market. Typically, market growers will grow Contender, because it makes a bigger bean, but they are not nearly as tender as Strike.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #5
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I grew two different wax beans last year, Dragon Tongue (DT) and Mervaviglia di Venezia (MDV). I liked both. The MDV tolerated the heat better in the summer in Delaware and the beans were a little more tender and sweet. The DT took off when our night-time temperatures finally dropped in September. The MDV didn't like the cold and withered. The DT were very pretty beans. They were both about the same size. I will grow them both again just so I will have a longer season to harvest. I like to sauté them lightly for a quick brunch with eggs, sometimes tossing in some other veggies (peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms).
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2016   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've trialed hundreds of bush beans, with only a few that I REALLY like. Dragon Tongue is one of them.

Contender is the worst tasting bean I've ever trialed.

To me, pole beans generally have much better flavor, with flat podded "romano" types being my favorites.

The best new trial in my 2016 garden was an unknown variety of a "stickless wonder" type bush yardlong bean (20" plants with 19" (dry) pods).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote