Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 19, 2015   #31
travis
Tomatovillian™

I went to the IDig thread called Introducing a New Variety, where Blane posted his photo of Daniel Burson.

I am G. Gordon Gumbo at that forum, and as you can see, my three photos of Daniel Burson have been deleted, I suppose due to my Photobucket account also being deleted or inactive, as I explained, due to the loss of my password. I haven't accessed my photobucket for over a year.

Sorry, I cannot provide a photo. Kath's photos are very close to what I get with my Daniel Burson seeds, especially the exterior color. Mine possibly are a bit more maroon due to green shoulders, and a bit more retained chlorophyll, possibly due to my climate.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bill, thanks so much for posting what you did, as I asked you to do and again, thanks for some genetic lessens as well. As you know other than basic traits tomato genetics is not what I know much about. Had I been making my own crosses several decades ago when I was still physically able to, I know I would have delved into it more closely, yet back then we didn't know what we know today about tomato genetics.

Just one question.

I think many of us know that pre maybe 1930 or so pink tomatoes were called purple even though they were pink,so I'm curious to know why you still call them purple.Even more recently there are ones that were called purple such as Aunt Ginny's Purple and others.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...nny%27s_Purple

I think I can name some varieties that indeed are purple, or some of their expressions are, and I don't mean the OSU plethora of varieties that came from Dr. Myers introduction of OSU, OSUp20, etc.

Carolyn
Old November 20, 2015   #33
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

(1) Bill, thanks so much for posting what you did, as I asked you to do and again, thanks for some genetic lessens as well. As you know other than basic traits tomato genetics is not what I know much about.

(2) I think many of us know that pre maybe 1930 or so pink tomatoes were called purple even though they were pink,so I'm curious to know why you still call them purple.Even more recently there are ones that were called purple such as Aunt Ginny's Purple and others.

(3) I think I can name some varieties that indeed are purple, or some of their expressions are, and I don't mean the OSU plethora of varieties that came from Dr. Myers introduction of OSU, OSUp20, etc.

Carolyn

(1) Carolyn, my knowledge of tomato genetics is very basic. My suggestion regarding genetic lessons is go to the Tomatoville "Crosstalk" forum. I get completely lost trying to understand some of what's discussed there

(2) I do not refer to pink tomatoes as "purple" tomatoes, as was done pre-1930s. If I referred to a pink tomato as purple, or if I typed something that confused my intended meaning in that regard, it was accidental.

Personally, I prefer designating what's commonly referred to as "purple" and "black" tomatoes as "maroon" tomatoes, as maroon is red that has been stained with green to create a brownish-red tone.

Otherwise, I think you and I agree that what's called a "purple" tomato is one that has red flesh stained with retained chlorophyll (gf ... "green flesh" genes), and clear epidermis, Cherokee Purple being the most commonly given example.

And what's commonly called a "black" tomato is a red fleshed tomato stained with retained chlorophyll (again gf genes), but with a yellow epidermis, which yellow cast renders the exterior tone a more brown than "purple" color ... the most commonly given example here at Tomatoville being Cherokee Chocolate.

In either case, I think various shades of maroon are the color tones that I perceive when viewing either Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Chocolate, Paul Robeson, or any number of "purple" or "black" tomatoes. About the closest thing to a purple color that I've seen on a tomato was recently on those Mini Kumato cherries currently in the supermarkets.

(3) As to the anthocyanin varieties, they may appear eggplant "black" upon casual observation, but in reality, that color is truly purple, same as an eggplant, regardless of how dark it gets. Take a look at the interior of the genetically engineered anthocyanin tomato from Europe, the one with snapdragon genes inserted, and you will see a truly purple tomato, thru and thru

Last edited by travis; November 20, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #34
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

I've grown just plain Brandywine and Quisenberry's strain, but both were pretty similar with the Quisenberry one being less productive. I have also grown Pruden's Purple which tastes pretty much the same but is way more productive. Unfortunately I may be the only person in the tomato world who can't stand the taste of Brandywine. IMO it tastes like a tomato that's going bad.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
I've grown just plain Brandywine and Quisenberry's strain, but both were pretty similar with the Quisenberry one being less productive. I have also grown Pruden's Purple which tastes pretty much the same but is way more productive. Unfortunately I may be the only person in the tomato world who can't stand the taste of Brandywine. IMO it tastes like a tomato that's going bad.
No, you are far from any person in the world who doesn't like the taste of Brandywine,regardless of which so called strain of the pink one you were growing.

There are many who don't like what some refer to as a winey taste, and brandywine is not my own favorite tasting variety. I find the taste unique, but there are others I find that have unique tastes, at least for me.

Interesting that you mention Prudens Purple since for many years it was described in the Pinetree catalog as being an earlier Brandywine,so unfortunately folks thought it WAS a Brandywine.

I've grown Prudens Purple as well and it tastes nothing like Brandywine to me,really nothing like it.

I keep tryingto remember to try and post a video here called Supertertasters, done by Yale University,which very clearly documents WHY folks taste the same substance,peppers,melon,etc,differently and that's b'c it's the GENES that each of us has that determines the papillie on the tongue surface.

Carolyn
Old November 20, 2015   #36
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Does anybody hear has a full description of the plant, fruit size, color etc ?
Appreciated .

Gardeneer

I believe that the seeds you received for Daniel Burson was from me. The fruits from my plants look very much like those in the pictures that Kath posted.

This is a wonderful new variety that Bill Jeffers has given to us as has been explained. My plants grew to 6.5-7ft this year and they had potato leaf foliage. I got delicious dark purple/black fruits that had green shoulders up until extremely ripe. The fruits hold very well on the counter without getting mushy. They not only have great flavor but a very nice firm texture. They produced quite well for me in a very cool season.

I have sent in 30 packs of seeds to Gary for the 2015 MMMM. As Carolyn has stated, she will be having this seed in her offering soon. This is a wonderful tomato that deserves to be grown by many.

My hat is off to you Mr. Jeffers!

Thank you for bringing us such a wonderful tomato!
Old November 20, 2015   #37
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks MissS.
I knew I got the seeds from you . I just didn't want to go public about it.
I like what I see in Kath's pictures and your review sounds even better.
I am dark tomato ( Maroon , brown, ..) tomato fan. I like their complex flavor, being mostly on the sweet side.
With your generosity included I will have the following in 2016:

BLACK FROM TULA, BROWN HEART (my designation), BLACK SEA MAN, IS (PL), IS (RL), DANIEL BURSON, PURPLE HEART, KUMATO (F3) .
I have retired CP , JBT and ANANAS NOIRE, to give room for new ones.

I look forward to growing them it in 2016 season, side by side and pick the winners fo the following year.

Gardeneer

Last edited by Gardeneer; November 21, 2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: update
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote