Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2017   #766
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Marsha's Seeds are top notch! I'm also growing Mocross Elgin9.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017   #767
efisakov
Tomatovillian™
 
efisakov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ, zone 7
Posts: 2,981
Default

I agree " Marsha's Seeds are top notch!". And (EP) are better than Brandyvines.
__________________
Ella

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #768
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I agree " Marsha's Seeds are top notch!". And (EP) are better than Brandyvines.
Grounds for exile... But I agree

Found a great use for all the 50lb dogfood bags I've saved over the years: solarizing recycled mix.

They hold a little under 20 gals each, I put together a row of 10 bags and placed them on plastic chairs to minimize the canine contribution... Otherwise flipping them over will be a challenge to the senses.

Still have enough used mix to produce at least 30-40 more bags. It's a decent workout.

Haven't decided how many days they'll cook. Depends on conditions.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #769
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Rogued two specimens of 0_33 and 1 Karolina, tswv saying hello again.

Prompting me to printout a 11x17 stiff calendar to carefully follow the spraying schedule. I have all the tools, just need to be consistent.

I will beat you thrips...or at least keep you at bay
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #770
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default spring is here



We have liftoff for spring. B. Roza
After many false starts,
I think this one will make it.

liftoff b roza.png

Row 1, mostly the A-team

row 1.png


Two of ye old faithful, war horse Gribovsky.

gribovs.png

100 Pudov and C Volkov

100 pudov cosm vol.png

Big Bertha F1, vigorous plant

big bertha f1.png

Cherry Moon, vigorous plant

cherry moon.png

Mexico Midget, test subjects for the 1st
batch of solarized soil, buried real deep
in the pot, a large one.

Mexico Midget.png

New trellis system in its infancy, a few holes
to dig + I get to use my favorite: a plumb-bob.

new trellis system.png

Too few, in previous years I wouldn't
dare attempt to pick an orange.

too few.png

[/SIZE]
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #771
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 7,227
Default

Cherry Moon, possibly the perfect popper pepper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0707161402-002222222222.jpg (146.2 KB, 83 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #772
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Perfect popper, outstanding pickled I imagine. yeah, thanks again!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #773
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 1,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Naturally I looked this up Wish we had one!

Remember the loose meat sandwich from the Iowa diner on tv? It is ground beef cooked in mustard and chopped onion topped with a pickle slice and served on a bun. The greasier the meat the more happier the customer. Add cooked cabbage and you have a Runza, something on a rock hard bun to be avoided at all costs. Was it Bill Clinton pre heart problem that loved them?
They don't know how to make fries here either.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #774
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 1,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I can see the pic's just fine. Maybe you need to update your browser or whatever image viewer that you use. You might also try clearing your browser of history and cookies.
I can see your pics geraldo (which are amazing) but I can seldom see anything that Worth posts.
Something's up with that!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #775
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™
 
Ricky Shaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zone 6a Denver North Metro
Posts: 1,852
Default

Always such nice work and volumes of it. Especially like the pic of blossoms and bee, no bees here yet, at least another month I'd expect.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017   #776
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Always such nice work and volumes of it. Especially like the pic of blossoms and bee, no bees here yet, at least another month I'd expect.
They started slow and have increased presence as of late, nowhere near previous years' numbers.

On another front, let the games begin. 2 gallon filled to the brim.



2017-03-25-01-47-04.jpg
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017   #777
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I can see your pics geraldo (which are amazing) but I can seldom see anything that Worth posts.
Something's up with that!

- Lisa
Something is a little strange, fingers crossed for In n Out's expansion to the East.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017   #778
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 19,885
Default

About Gribovskij, spelled many ways

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/G...ribovskiy_1180

First offered in the 2007 SSE Yearbook by Andrey in Belarus, and looking at the 2017 YEarbook SSE itself is offering it again and it gives the SSE accession number and cites Carolyn Male.

Two facts

SSE is lazarizing varieties that haven't been listed in many years,one of them being this one. SSE itself is now the largest lister in the Yearbook and has been for quite a few years.

Fact two

Craig L and I were getting lots of varieties out of the PC GRIN when it was still possible to do that and that back in the early 90's and one of them was this one.

At the time we were sending out an international news letter called Off The Vine, aka OTV,. we described all of them there and then SSE listed all of them

And so it goes. If I were to pull out one of those early 90's Yearbooks I'd find it listed, but to do that now, where there are piles of SSE Yearbooks going back to 1975 on the floor to my left here by the computer,it would be a bloomin' catastrophe.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017   #779
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 7,227
Default

Thanks, Carolyn. I am awful at spelling non-English words.

Gribovskij has an aggressive flavor that I like a lot, but the skin is too tough for me. I have replaced it with Aura, which has thinner skin and a milder, yet still agreeable flavor.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017   #780
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™
 
Gerardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego-Tijuana
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
About Gribovskij, spelled many ways

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/G...ribovskiy_1180

First offered in the 2007 SSE Yearbook by Andrey in Belarus, and looking at the 2017 YEarbook SSE itself is offering it again and it gives the SSE accession number and cites Carolyn Male.

Two facts

SSE is lazarizing varieties that haven't been listed in many years,one of them being this one. SSE itself is now the largest lister in the Yearbook and has been for quite a few years.

Fact two

Craig L and I were getting lots of varieties out of the PC GRIN when it was still possible to do that and that back in the early 90's and one of them was this one.

At the time we were sending out an international news letter called Off The Vine, aka OTV,. we described all of them there and then SSE listed all of them

And so it goes. If I were to pull out one of those early 90's Yearbooks I'd find it listed, but to do that now, where there are piles of SSE Yearbooks going back to 1975 on the floor to my left here by the computer,it would be a bloomin' catastrophe.

Carolyn

Thanks for the background Carolyn. Andrey has given us some gems. We are all lucky to have him participate with such enthusiasm. Great Sunday!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★