Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old August 12, 2016   #496
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It was a brand new box with a nitrogen filled bag that said best if used by.
I think it is law everything has to have some sort of date on it and for good reason.
As for the bottled water it isn't the water that goes bad it is the plastic container that can break down and leach chemicals into the water, more so if left out in the sun.

There are three main things you will see.
Sell by.
Best if used by.
And expiration date.
I think all drugs and stuff have to have an expiration date even though not all of them expire.
Aspirin doesn't expire.
Then there is that crazy refrigerate after opening thing on stuff.
That didn't used to be there on many items.
If you look at the squeeze bottles of mayonnaise it says no need to refrigerate.
This flabbergasted a friend of mine when he saw that on the label.
How can they do that he asked me and I told him there is no way to contaminate it because of the way it is dispensed.
All of those seals didn't used to be on stuff until people started tampering with stuff back in the 80's.
This is all a knee jerk reactions by the government from incidents that were from things that didn't even relate to the products they are saying to refrigerate.
Some idiot puts their spoon in the chicken and then in the mayo and leaves it out.
Now all of a sudden it is the mayo's fault.
Or they put their dirty fingers in the pickle jar.

I honestly think the refrigerator has done more to make people sick than anything else around.
It gives people a false sense of security.
The food safety announcements aren't helping one bit.
It is like one of those well because we said so, so trust us deals.
They have dumbed it down to the stupidest person on earth.

As for condiments.
I asked brain dead pimple face at a fast food joint what condiments they put on a hamburger and they didn't even know what a condiment was.
I have used the word at work and maybe 80 percent of the people didn't know what it meant.
They looked at me as though I said condom.
This surprised me to no end because I cant remember not knowing what it meant.
It may very well be one of the first words I learned to say as a child.
Mama Papa hungry food sausage condiment.

Worth
Worth1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #497
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All homemade or home grown with two beers.
Full, sleepy.
20160812_181005.jpg
Old August 12, 2016   #498
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think it is law everything has to have some sort of date on it and for good reason.
No. With a couple of exceptions, Federal law does not require it. http://www.eatbydate.com/sell-by-date-definition/

State laws vary, but generally apply only to perishables such as milk.

"The expiration dates are strictly “advisory” in nature and are left entirely to the discretion of the manufacturer.."

Manufacturers - especially of non-perishable products - set the dates to ensure that the stores turn over their stock within a set time. It has little or nothing to do with degradation of the product.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #499
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Not cheap but very effective!!!!

I woke up flooded in never thinking it would get in the house but it came closer than I ever thought it would so being bored I pulled the chopped okra from the freezer and started smothering it in the oven and the smell was making me hungry for a gumbo. There's 7 gallon bags of okra in that pot but it shrinks down and I only get about 12 quart size bags which works great for a gumbo. So now I'm cooking a chicken, sausage, gizzard, yard eggs, shrimp and okra gumbo. The eggs are cheating instead of making potato salad, I like it chopped up in my bowl and there's something about cooked egg yolks and gumbo that just go together. And Yes a whole pack of chicken gizzards, YUM YUM!!!

That old pot on the right was my grandmothers and I can't tell you how old it is but it's a perfect size for a small gumbo.
]
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #500
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Nice pot! Is there a lid that goes with it?

I have a bunch of chicken backs and gizzards to make stock, but I don't eat meat on Fridays. (No, it's not a Muslim thing.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #501
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have the lid for the Magnalite roaster but I don't have the lid to the old pot but a lid from the non stick Faberware fits perfect.
Old August 12, 2016   #502
bower
Tomatovillian™

Worth, my Dad's father, who was a farmer, he must have been middle aged before fridges came around. And he refused to use it when they got one. He said it spoiled the food.
So here is my latest cheap eaten: the seed saver supper! A plate of tomatoes with all the seeds and gel removed. Being the first plateful of tomatoes I've seen this year I might add. No worry, sliced up with some Jimmy Nardello pepper and garlic scapes for topping the pizza, pic before the parmesan and baking. The sauce underneath was whizzed up garlic scapes a small tomato and a bit of oil and parmesan. And a layer of white cheddar. The crust is a bit of my bread dough.
Sadly I did not make the sausage! Nor the cheese. But they were both bought on special. And kept in the freezer. ... cheap eaten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedsavin-suppertoms.JPG (265.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg seedsavin-supper.JPG (197.4 KB, 48 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #503
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
No. With a couple of exceptions, Federal law does not require it. http://www.eatbydate.com/sell-by-date-definition/

State laws vary, but generally apply only to perishables such as milk.

"The expiration dates are strictly “advisory” in nature and are left entirely to the discretion of the manufacturer.."

Manufacturers - especially of non-perishable products - set the dates to ensure that the stores turn over their stock within a set time. It has little or nothing to do with degradation of the product.

That was the good reason I talked about.
So they dont end up with petrified potato chips.
By they way Alton Brown doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground about sausage and cured meat.

I just saw his show on it, total idiot and BS.

Worth
Old August 13, 2016   #504
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Not cheap but very effective!!!!

I woke up flooded in never thinking it would get in the house but it came closer than I ever thought it would so being bored I pulled the chopped okra from the freezer and started smothering it in the oven and the smell was making me hungry for a gumbo. There's 7 gallon bags of okra in that pot but it shrinks down and I only get about 12 quart size bags which works great for a gumbo. So now I'm cooking a chicken, sausage, gizzard, yard eggs, shrimp and okra gumbo. The eggs are cheating instead of making potato salad, I like it chopped up in my bowl and there's something about cooked egg yolks and gumbo that just go together. And Yes a whole pack of chicken gizzards, YUM YUM!!!

That old pot on the right was my grandmothers and I can't tell you how old it is but it's a perfect size for a small gumbo.
]
Rajun, I have been wondering who your avatar is. At first, I was thinking an actor, but tonight - I remember who it is. It's Phillip Rivers.

Being the pot came from your grandmother makes it very special.

In gumbo, I've never used chicken gizzards or eggs - now I'm wondering about my favorite chicken parts - hearts and livers.

When you make gumbo, do you use a Roux or Filé powder?
Old August 13, 2016   #505
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I own a Magnalite set from the early 80's, that is a 100 dollar roaster.

Worth
Old August 13, 2016   #506
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That's right Salt, it an actual picture of Rivers. Hearts would be good too but I'm not sure on livers and I use roux and also add okra, I mostly use file as a seasoning sprinkled on my bowl too.

Worth that is the big roaster and I have the smaller one too including the whole set and a few extras.
Old August 13, 2016   #507
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

When I was younger and learning to cook. Gumbo was the one thing I wanted to learn to cook most. I watched Justin Wilson make it with okra. I thought all gumbo had okra in it, but learned that most gumbo doesn't. When learning that - My exact words were, "Hell, it ain't gumbo without okra."

I've always used a roux, but bought some Filé powder not long ago. I've got to try it the native American way too. I wish my wife wasn't such a picky eater - she doesn't like boiled okra or crayfish (Crawdads). When I was a kid, I used to fish for them with a string, a lead fishing weight, and salt pork tied on.
Old August 13, 2016   #508
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I own a Magnalite set from the early 80's, that is a 100 dollar roaster.

Worth
Yes, and they are getting harder to find anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
That's right Salt, it an actual picture of Rivers. Hearts would be good too but I'm not sure on livers and I use roux and also add okra, I mostly use file as a seasoning sprinkled on my bowl too.

Worth that is the big roaster and I have the smaller one too including the whole set and a few extras.
I have some of the roasters but they are notmagnalite, but Wagner brand, also very old. Makes excellent roast chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
When I was younger and learning to cook. Gumbo was the one thing I wanted to learn to cook most. I watched Justin Wilson make it with okra. I thought all gumbo had okra in it, but learned that most gumbo doesn't. When learning that - My exact words were, "Hell, it ain't gumbo without okra."

I've always used a roux, but bought some Filé powder not long ago. I've got to try it the native American way too. I wish my wife wasn't such a picky eater - she doesn't like boiled okra or crayfish (Crawdads). When I was a kid, I used to fish for them with a string, a lead fishing weight, and salt pork tied on.

The Biloxi side of the family doesn't think it's gumbo w/o okra either! My mother taught me to make and use roux in California, and she was a Wisconsin native! Roux has been about for a long time.

I used to love to watch Justin Wilson's cooking shows, and enjoyed his patter about his childhood.

Wild caught crawdads are good if you clean out the mud vein.

I have never acquired a taste for file gumbo- file and I don't get along well, it's like fenugreek- for some reason it makes me ill if I eat it.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #509
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I used to watch Justin Wilson when I was a kid, just because he was entertaining. "I gar-OWN-tee."
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #510
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Gumbo is usually just chicken and smoked sausage served with potato salad for most families here but I always put smothered okra in it. I make a point to have at least 40 quarts bags of smothered okra a year, it's great on plain rice too and is good for fiber. I sometimes use smoked turkey wings and that comes out good too but most of our meat is custom smoked by local grocery stores and are seasoned well so I think chicken feet would be good if they smoked it.