Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2016   #16
Chris24
Tomatovillian™
 
Chris24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 17
Default

Home made is good but there will always be room in my selection for a good veriety of hot sauce. Cheap classics, home made and even designer for want of a better word.

It's not like I'm buying a dozen hot sauces on a Friday night, so price is not too bigger issue for me. Hey I even splash out every now and then and buy a Rib Eye steak instead of sausages.
__________________
Chris.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #17
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™
 
Salsacharley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,500
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
A particular favorite of mine is Mean Devil Woman. Seems to have national distribution.

And pepperhead friends use me as a guinea pig for their latest concoctions, so I haven't bought any in quite a while. Except for Tapatio, which I like on my morning sausage and biscuits. (There is also a Tapatio flavored Doritos. Fortunately my local store doesn't stock it or I'd be carrying another 20 lbs...)



And of course, there are considerations other than the contents: https://www.amazon.com/Democrats-You...dp/B01DCFJ0DC/
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #18
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™
 
dmforcier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,508
Default

I've been hearing good things about Jason's Fire Fusion sauces ever since he started up a couple years ago. He used to grow most of his own peppers but has since obtained rug rodents and had to move to a place with more house and less land.

His sauces concentrate on flavor rather than heat, but here's a review of his 'Instant Death' sauce, the hottest.

__________________


Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers


dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 30,737
Default

My wild chili pequin bush is frigging loaded with little red peppers and I am trying to pick all of them for another ferment process to make more hot sauce.
It gets tiresome fast.
Maybe I will be through picking this time tomorrow.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #20
Down_South
Tomatovillian™
 
Down_South's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
My wild chili pequin bush is frigging loaded with little red peppers and I am trying to pick all of them for another ferment process to make more hot sauce.
It gets tiresome fast.
Maybe I will be through picking this time tomorrow.

Worth
My pequin bush just want go. It's about a 1-1/2' tall with about 6 peppers with nothing flowering. . Maybe I should transplant it to a an expansion joint in the driveway.I'm germinated some tepins right hoping they'll get a head start for spring. I just love the taste of those light berries.
__________________
~Aaron
Down_South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #21
Down_South
Tomatovillian™
 
Down_South's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
Home made is good but there will always be room in my selection for a good veriety of hot sauce. Cheap classics, home made and even designer for want of a better word.

It's not like I'm buying a dozen hot sauces on a Friday night, so price is not too bigger issue for me. Hey I even splash out every now and then and buy a Rib Eye steak instead of sausages.
Word.
__________________
~Aaron
Down_South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 30,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_South View Post
My pequin bush just want go. It's about a 1-1/2' tall with about 6 peppers with nothing flowering. . Maybe I should transplant it to a an expansion joint in the driveway.I'm germinated some tepins right hoping they'll get a head start for spring. I just love the taste of those light berries.
Mine was seed from a bush that was dug up in the woods someplace around here.
Dale I think.
It lives in partial shade and has lived through several freezes down 10 degrees.

And neglected most of the time.
It is 2 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet wide.

Could be a chilitepin

Worth
IMG_20161125_4528.jpg

IMG_20161125_57870.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.

Last edited by Worth1; November 25, 2016 at 01:42 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #23
Chris24
Tomatovillian™
 
Chris24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 17
Default

Local for me is Fire Dragon Cillies. He grows his own and makes a few very nice on the hotter side of sauces.
If I'm looking for flavour I go for Culleys, which is also a local for me.

Here is a tour through Fire Dragon' poly tunnels.

__________________
Chris.

Last edited by Chris24; November 25, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #24
Down_South
Tomatovillian™
 
Down_South's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Mine was seed from a bush that was dug up in the woods someplace around here.
Dale I think.
It lives in partial shade and has lived through several freezes down 10 degrees.

And neglected most of the time.
It is 2 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet wide.

Could be a chilitepin

Worth
Attachment 67582

Attachment 67583
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
Local for me is Fire Dragon Cillies. He grows his own and makes a few very nice on the hotter side of sauces.
If I'm looking for flavour I go for Culleys, which is also a local for me.

Here is a tour through Fire Dragon' poly tunnels.

Then it's time for a care package
__________________
~Aaron
Down_South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 30,737
Default

Here is a fermenting experiment going on with the wild pepper red Habanero Jamaican hot red and yellow.
Most of the time I ferment whole or sliced.
This time I ran it through a blender and added the salt.
In less than 24 hours it is starting to build pressure.
When it is completed I will strain and add other ingredients so it won't separate and bottle.
The stuff is hotter than all get out.
Worth
IMG_20161126_47149.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 30,737
Default

Fresh out of the fermenting facility.
Jalapeno dill carrots and garlic on the right.
Onion dill and hot pepper blend on the left.
Worth
IMG_20161126_58639.jpg

IMG_20161126_9982.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 30,737
Default

The title of the tread is hot sauce junkie and that I am.
Here is the wild peppers fermented processed and put in the jar.
Custom made to my taste.
It is called Texas Sunset.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #28
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California
Posts: 210
Default

Pepper vinegar with the most aromatic scotch bonnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_200257044.jpg (192.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_200326129.jpg (181.9 KB, 46 views)
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #29
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California
Posts: 210
Default

https://pepperhead.com/recipe/southe...-pepper-sauce/
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 30,737
Default

Does the hot sauce bible have any information on fermenting or is it all vinegar based?
Does it cover how to keep the sauce from stratifying?
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.

Last edited by Worth1; December 4, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★