Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2017   #31
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,523
Default

Nice setup and pics HTG. That leaf reminds me of camo, which every redneck around here would buy if marketed that way. I think I just saw my future
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #32
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Nice setup and pics HTG. That leaf reminds me of camo, which every redneck around here would buy if marketed that way. I think I just saw my future
Its funny you say that i have a name along those lines ready to go when this variety is segregated completely.
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #33
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Moonlit Mile? It has all 4 colors too.Here's my reminder that you were going to send me a few, haha. Please pm with your addy, and I will get an SASE to you right away. Love that one.
Of course i remember....now that you reminded me You know i wont let you send a sase. I will send it on out to you when i get a moment.
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #34
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Its funny you say that i have a name along those lines ready to go when this variety is segregated completely.
Great minds...
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #35
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Pak Choy, Cheddar Cauliflower, and Veronica Romanesco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170208_101912-1328x747.jpg (405.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20170208_101931-747x1328.jpg (190.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20170208_101951-747x1328.jpg (180.4 KB, 99 views)
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #36
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Saw the first bee of the season today out on my blueberry flowers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170208_121453-747x1328.jpg (175.9 KB, 100 views)
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #37
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Seedling ready for transplant. I swear by Oregonism XL every transplant hole gets a teaspoon of it spread around the root area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170208_105436-1328x747.jpg (501.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 20170208_152014-747x1328.jpg (153.0 KB, 100 views)
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #38
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

This little tool takes some of the back labor out of transplanting seedlings. The best part was that i scored it for 5 bucks brand new at a yard sale. I added the wood to adjust the depth for my starter pots. Two rows done and 3 more to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170208_150655-747x1328.jpg (271.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20170208_150703-747x1328.jpg (231.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20170208_160839-747x1328.jpg (280.2 KB, 97 views)
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #39
Bio-Ag-Guy
Tomatovillian™
 
Bio-Ag-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Lake Park Fl. Zone 10a Brian
Posts: 41
Default

Love the pictures, keep em coming!

Last edited by Bio-Ag-Guy; February 9, 2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Bio-Ag-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #40
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,523
Default

I need one of those transplant thingies. Nice find. How do you like the white plastic?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #41
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™
 
Salsacharley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,374
Default

HTG, why do you mulch your paths?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #42
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I need one of those transplant thingies. Nice find. How do you like the white plastic?
I love it. The white helps keep bugs off and the roots cooler. Its white on black so if i was really motivated i could flip it for winter tomatoes. But starting now and replanting in Julyish i get two seasons anyway. I usually let it rest over the winter at which i retreat to a few container tomatoes.
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #43
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
HTG, why do you mulch your paths?
I mulch the rows so the kiddos dont tear up the plastic walking through the garden. It also helps to keep us from slipping when the plastic gets moisture on it. I usually use pine bark but since i roll it all up and toss it every year with the plastic i am trying cedar to help with the bugs. Every little bit of bug deterant helps.
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #44
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,523
Default

Nice, I used the reflective last year but I'm just going to use black this year then remove it mid season and cover with mulch as an experiment this year. I've noticed that tomatoes handle my summer weather better with mulch vs plastic. I may give white a try next year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #45
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™
 
heirloomtomaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: glendora ca
Posts: 2,506
Default

I would imagine the reflective would be really blinding when your out there working the rows. The white is a touch on the bright side but with sunglasses its no problem. I think the plastic mulch works so well because it helps the roots evenly retain the moisture. With the way the drip tape wicks water into the soil it is darn near impossible to over water also. Not to mention i save a ton of money on the water bill since the water does not evaporate as soon as it hits the soil. The only issue i am having with the system so far is the inability to inject organic fertilizer into the drip tape. Organics just does not disolve the way synthetics do. I think i finally found a way around this issue though. Here it is https://www.amazon.com/Ross-Root-Fee.../dp/B00002NC84
__________________
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★