Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 12, 2012   #31
aheksel
Tomatovillian™

Here is mine Shadow Boxing. Quite unlike to the shape than most of the pictures i have seen of it. It's has a while to get ripe yet though, it will be interesting to see if there will be some color to it.
The summer here in Scandinavia has been all but warm and it's soon to be over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadowboxin-aug-2012.jpg (277.0 KB, 88 views)
aheksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #32
aheksel
Tomatovillian™

I went by my tomatoes that are planted directly in the soil, today. I have two shadow boxing there, one is a dwarf and the other looks alot like the shadow boxings i've seen in other forums as well as this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadowboxing-kolonilotten-aug-2012.jpg (247.3 KB, 60 views)
Old August 13, 2012   #33
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Mine are starting to ripen. They are oblong, pointy but there is no blue in sight. I'm not sure what color they will be. I'll post again in a few days when I've got a ripe one or two.

Robin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadowboxing08-13.jpg (181.7 KB, 53 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #34
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheksel View Post
Here is mine Shadow Boxing. Quite unlike to the shape than most of the pictures i have seen of it. It's has a while to get ripe yet though, it will be interesting to see if there will be some color to it.
The summer here in Scandinavia has been all but warm and it's soon to be over.
These are nice, a lovely shape, quite different to the ones I have.

I have a little envy when I hear of ripe tomatoes, I'm way behind here with many varieties. I've pointy ones too, not sure about stripes but some are blue.
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #35
aheksel
Tomatovillian™

Yes, i know about the envy. Even the really early russian types i grow still have many weeks to ripen (or even set fruit). I have neglected them too much, i guess.

RobinB. Your Shadow has a really nice orange color to it! Looking forward too more pictures!
Old August 15, 2012   #36
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Just picked a couple of ripe ones off my Shadow Boxing. Very similar to Granite26's, the round version, same color with maybe just a dusting of blue on the shoulders, where they got more sunlight.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2012   #37
NGGrant
Tomatovillian™

I got a few of these seeds as a sample from Tom, hope I can get them to germinate in a few months.
Old August 16, 2012   #38
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Ripe Shadow Boxing

Well, here it is! The green shoulders stayed and the rest was orange and red. The taste was what some people call a "classic" tomato taste i.e. tomatoey but not very sweet, but it was good. This is only the first one, so I hope those following this get a little sweetness.

In the description on Tom's website, he said this was a pink/purple slicer with a blue vine. Not so for me. Nothing is blue on either plant that I have. My other plant looks to have tomatoes which will be very much the same as these.

I can't wait to see what others get!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadowboing-ripe.jpg (194.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg shadowboxing-cut.jpg (157.7 KB, 51 views)
Old August 17, 2012   #39
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Wow they are pretty I hope some of mine will look like yours.
I'm just wanting mine to ripen quicker now!

This is the bluest one of mine, still frustratingly young.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 094.JPG (115.8 KB, 54 views)
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2012   #40
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I do love this pointy shape. I wish mine were blue!
Old September 24, 2012   #41
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Well, my shadow boxing plants are both producing fruit that is the same oblong pointy shape, but each has different coloring. I hoped that I would get some blue, and I did! Fruit from both plants is very, very tasty! One is red with green stripes (which turn further to gold), and the other has stripes of red, orange, and green with an overall dusting of blue! The "plain" red/green striped plant is the most prolific, it continues to be very healthy and is covered with fruit. We have a little while longer here weather-wise and I'm sure it will go until killed by frost. The bluer plant is not doing well, but is hanging in there. Seed is saved from both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadowboxingtwo.jpg (266.3 KB, 51 views)
Old September 25, 2012   #42
aheksel
Tomatovillian™

Here is one of my ripe shadow boxing, which is also my first ever of Tom Wagners tomatoes. The picture of the uncut tomato is with its side that had less sun and therefore had more color, the side that had most sun was very black (with a faint purple stripe when lit by the sun).
Taste was okej, pretty bland and faint, but that could be a result of low temperatures, which has been throughout this whole summer here in scandinavia.
Last picture is when i have pressed out the seeds and also show skincolor, sunnyside is from left to shadowside to right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadbox (8).jpg (211.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg shadbox (3).jpg (344.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg shadbox (5).jpg (360.5 KB, 52 views)
Old August 22, 2013   #43
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

A late August update on my shadow boxing. This plant is amazingly productive. I have already harvested at least 30+ ripe fruit all through even the hottest weeks here in Oklahoma and this plant was the first out of 70-80 varieties to set fruit in the spring. They sell out quick at my stand too. Great flavor. Little to no cracking.Shadow boxing Aug 21, 2013.jpg

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013   #44
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Here is mine. No blue at all. Much like Robin's first one but maybe even a pointier nipple. 3" long plus the nipple Meaty. good flavor not a lot of gel or seeds. about 50 fruits on the plant so quite productive. rugosed foliage, short sturdy plant about 3.5 feet tall was trying to decide decide if it is dwarf or determinate but it quit blooming so I think determinate.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2737.jpg (487.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by KarenO; August 22, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2013   #45
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Those Shadow boxing tomatoes are gorgeous. Really nice everyone.