Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 11, 2018   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Cayenne Peppers for Franks type hot sauce

This is one of the FEW, well really ONLY hot pepper sauce flavors that I like. How do I know that ? I started a variety of hot peppers for son's friends and he didn't have time to take care of them (being polite), so I took over the project, in pots and in ground. The summer was unusually hot and long. The cayennes ripened towards the end. Happy dance!

I had Red Rocket cayenne seeds, so I grew those. The flavor was very good, but the pepper was skinny and long and thin walled. It was quite a pain to de-seed. I'm considering the 2018 Red Ember AAS winner, but would like to grow one more cayenne for making the sauce. I have Joe's Long Cayenne but I still would like one more thick walled type in my short fickle climate. I"ll be starting them in about a month.

It will only be for me (I don't think I could take the fumes coming from the saucepan for explosive types like so many here do) so not toooooo hot please!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2018   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

De-stem your peppers and boil up your ingredients (whatever you use, like garlic, vinegar, salt...). Simmer for 20-30 minutes after boil and pour into a blender. Blend smooth and pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds (a few seeds may have gotten pulverized). Bring to a boil one more time and let cool.
Straight up cayenne sauce can be very hot, so if you don't like that, maybe mix in some milder hot peppers, like fresnos or anaheims, to dilute the heat a bit.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Those are great cooking tips. thank you rhines81! The Red Rockets were very time consuming opening up and scraping such a narrow pepper. I used an immersion blender after they were cooked and simmered a little bit after that. I cut it with whatever pepper was coming in at the time. I ordered the fresno seeds you suggested to grow next season. I can feel my eyes water at the thought of straining, ugh so not fun.

I ordered 10 seeds of the Cayenette (container variety, expensive) and 50 seeds (!!!) of Red Ember F1 which is backordered, both had free shipping for the green day sale. I'm going to start the container variety when the seeds arrive. I'm debating if I need to continue trialing other varieties. At least the container variety has chance of turning red in a normal season here.

I was searching around and found someone fermenting their cayenne mix/mash sauce not once but twice. I should have saved the link just in case.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote