Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 23, 2016   #61
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlpush View Post
your pictures of the fox family are amazing, made my morning. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much for your comment Pixel! And you made my morning!

Jen

Last edited by jhp; June 23, 2016 at 11:30 AM.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #62
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden in June

Here are some pics of my garden that I took 2 days ago. It was cloudy, but I think the flat light let's you see things more easily than bright sun.

You can see I have a lot of trees and deep shade around the garden. I placed it in the sunniest location we had. Some trees have started to overhang the garden too much. There is a dogwood right behind, that if not for the garden fence holding it up, would have broken off long ago. A little sentimental, I haven't taken it down. It flowers each spring. I have memories of a cat now passed away climbing it. Unfortunately it has shaded my asparagus to the point where they do not grow. Will have to start over on the asparagus. There is a big maple behind the dogwood as well that is causing shade too.

The garden looks so polite this time of year. Everything growing in it's place. Soon it will be a jungle.

From the patio.

From the garden gate entrance. That is a sungold in the container with cage.

From the center aisle looking to left.

From the center aisle looking to right.

Top row. Dwarfs and peppers.

Getting excited for tomatoes. Just about everything has set fruit. The dwarfs set fruit earlier than my indeterminates. I hope that means they will be earlier to ripen as well. I have 10 different dwarfs being grown in earth boxes. Here are a few.

Uluru Ochre

Loxton Lad. Nice fruit set.

Fred's Tie Dye

Bee enjoying sungold flowers

Sun came out for this pic of the pink poppies in my flower garden.

Jen
Old June 25, 2016   #63
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

Lovely garden, very neatly laid out and planted.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #64
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I was walking past my tiller with iPad in hand and took this pic. Looks like I forgot to till again this year!
gosh darnoodleyed wasp nest in the manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (755.6 KB, 111 views)
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #65
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default More June photos...anticipation

Cukes on the way, these are Green Fingers. Meant to be picked at about 5 inches and eaten with the thin skin on. I've been picking stink bugs off for the past few days. Ick!

Flower on my Beatrice eggplant. It's been a few years since I've grown eggplant. I've recently decided I really love to eat them, whereas before I was just okay with them. I like to roast thin slices in the oven and then top with tomato sauce. So good. I can't remember how long it takes for a fruit to form after flower. Seed package says these are supposed to be approximately 80 DTM. These were planted out only a month ago. So that would mean another 50 days? Can't be. I hope not.

Beans on the way! These are Royal Burgundy. Growing my own has ruined me for anything store bought. I love to grow anything purple. Can't wait for these!

Still picking lettuce from my March planting. I noticed a few looked like they were ready to bolt today, so I cut their heads off. This was for my lunch today. I eat a big salad for lunch most days, so I go thru a lot of lettuce. I calculated the money saved by growing my own and it's quite a bit per month of homegrown lettuce. This has made me want to make an effort to extend my lettuce growing season. Most things in the garden, I suspect, in the end cost more to grow than buy at the store. I haven't done the math. But with lettuce, I know I'm ahead!

Jen
Old June 25, 2016   #66
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Lovely garden, very neatly laid out and planted.
Thanks Bulldog! I think most people would not describe me as neat. LOL! I'm making an effort this year to stay on top of the garden. Last summer we renovated our kitchen, and I was a bit distracted. Things got away from me. So wasn't the best year in the garden. I have redoubled my efforts this year.

Jen
Old June 25, 2016   #67
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
I was walking past my tiller with iPad in hand and took this pic. Looks like I forgot to till again this year!
gosh darnoodleyed wasp nest in the manifold.
That tiller looks like it's becoming one with the earth! Looks like a "real" one. I have a mantis tiller that I won as a prize 9 years ago. It still works!

Jen
Old July 12, 2016   #68
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Today's Pickings

Been busy around here the last couple of weeks. Threw a party for my husband and his classmates "graduating" from a 6 month intensive class. It took lots of prep for that. Here is the spread I put out. All homemade except for the buns. Pulled pork, ribs, teriyaki chicken, corn avocado tomato salad, potato salad, cole slaw, arugula watermelon feta salad, baked beans, roasted veggies. The only thing from the garden was the green zucchini in the roasted veggies. My first picked this year. I think it was much earlier than last year's zucch.

Feels like we are just waiting for things to start ripening. Some of my dwarfs look like they want to start ripening soon.

Here is what I picked today. This will probably be my next to last basket of lettuce from this planting. I got some green fingers cukes, a ford hook zucchini (second this season), a handful of royal burgundy beans and my first sungold of the season. I cut the sungold in half and shared with my husband. It probably would have tasted better tomorrow, but who can wait that long?

Jen
Old July 12, 2016   #69
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

That looks delicious! You can show off your neat garden to his friends too.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #70
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, everything is beautiful.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #71
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
That looks delicious! You can show off your neat garden to his friends too.
Thank you! It seemed like my guests were happy. It was a nice end to a challenging and intense class. They were happy to have a social event where they all could get together and relax. They all traveled from NYC to our house, so it was a day in the "country". Yes, indeed there were garden tours. The most unexpected was an 8 year old guest who followed me around for most of the day. I put him to work fetching me stuff as needed. He kept asking if I would give him a tour of the garden, repeatedly, as kids do. I thought it was funny that he was so interested. After everyone was fed, I finally took him in the garden and let him pull a garlic, a potato, pick a few beans, a couple of cukes and a couple of carrots. Some adult guests wandered in, and when the 8 yr old rejected a carrot that had a little hole in it, one of the adults piped up and said she wanted it. She ate it right there and was so excited. All in all, it was cute, both kid and adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Wow, everything is beautiful.
Thanks so much!

Jen
Old July 14, 2016   #72
salix
Tomatovillian™

Jen, that was a wonderful thing to do for your husband and his classmates. It sounds like they more than appreciated all the work you did preparing the feast and also for the garden tours. I'll bet it was a treat for some of them and one they will remember fondly for a long long time.
Old July 14, 2016   #73
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Jen, that was a wonderful thing to do for your husband and his classmates. It sounds like they more than appreciated all the work you did preparing the feast and also for the garden tours. I'll bet it was a treat for some of them and one they will remember fondly for a long long time.
Thanks. Yes, hubby and friends are still talking about it. I may have set a precedent now that I'll have to live up to.

Jen
Old July 14, 2016   #74
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Today's Pickings + more anticipation

This is what I picked today. I was feeling optimistic, so grabbed a larger colander. In it are 2 sungold tomatoes! Yippee! We each get a tomato of our own. Also picked more royal burgundy beans (purple) the first of my dragon tongue beans, a few snow peas, and 2 more green fingers cukes. I somehow managed to hurt my back, so had to enlist hubby to pick beans. Maybe I should have planted pole beans this year. I accidentally bought a pack pole bean seeds, but didn't grow them for some reason. My crystal ball is on the fritz.

Fred's Tie-Dye getting bigger

Sprite tomatoes starting to ripen. Seems early to me for this one, but I don't keep good records of such things. I love this tomato. I grow 3 in a container every year. They are determinate and set bunches of grape tomatoes. They are crunchy, which I love. They are best if picked red and then ripened even more inside for about a week. This allows the sweetness to develop and they do not lose firmness. My favorite for snacking. I give few of these away because I keep them for myself!

Beatrice Eggplant. This is the fruit that came from the flower I showed earlier. It seems to be growing slower than Nadia's fruits. Very pretty so far. Only about the size of a billiard ball as of today.

Nadia Eggplant. Setting fruits nicely. This plant has abundant flowers and is setting lots of fruit. There are smaller ones higher on the plant as well.

Maglia Rosa starting to ripen. My first time growing this one.

Tequila peppers. I've grown these before and they are so cool. First they start off this pale green.

And then the purple starts showing up. Eventually they will be all purple. If I leave them to ripen, they will eventually turn red.

I have 3 blueberry bushes and they've gotten to a nice size after years of waiting. They actually put out a decent amount of berries. However, the robins and catbirds have decided that they love them. They've picked the first bush clean. I don't think I'll get any pics of ripe fruit, so here they are today.

Jen
Old July 14, 2016   #75
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden! I love the way you have your raised beds tiered on the hillside. They just look awesome.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote