Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 13, 2018   #301
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That doesn't look like TSWV to me; but it manifests itself in several ways. I would just keep a close eye on the new growth. A definite signal that an earlier indication of TSWV will be found in the new growth within two weeks. The new growth will be curled and stunted looking with almost seared. The edges of the leaves on the new growth will have a slightly burned look and growth of the plant will almost stop it will be so slow. Don't panic and pull out a perfectly healthy plant just because you suspect TSWV. Make sure that is what you are dealing with before taking that drastic action. If the plant is large and has nice fruit on it I never pull them until the fruit has a chance to blush even if they definitely have TSWV. However with young immature plants TSWV means you might as well replace it as soon as you can because it isn't going to produce much if anything.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #302
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Doc, I think it's bacterial spot or speck. TSWV doesn't hollow out in the center of the spot.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018   #303
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I thought I'd post another picture of the plant today. It's very sporadic, hasn't really taken over the plant or anything. 90% of the leaves look very healthy and it continues to grow steadily and is blossoming like crazy despite the heat. This picture is of a sucker that was about a foot from the base of the plant. Thought it looked strange that the stem was spotted too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3510.jpg (544.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3511.jpg (479.7 KB, 111 views)
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018   #304
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Still think bacterial.
Old June 16, 2018   #305
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I think bacterial too. I had TSWV and had leaf curl and bronzing in the beginning. I did not have spots like this.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #306
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Could this be spread from houseflies (black flies) landing on the plants? This all started after using Alaska fish fertilizer. I swear as soon as I applied it, hundreds of flies showed up and were all over my plants. I applied extra water to the containers afterwards just to wash some of it into the soil more to help kill the stench.
Old June 16, 2018   #307
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Put out some yellow sticky traps. I ordered 30 from Amazon. I've been catching little flies, mosquitoes and black dots which I think are baby thrips.
Barb
Old June 16, 2018   #308
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
Could this be spread from houseflies (black flies) landing on the plants? This all started after using Alaska fish fertilizer. I swear as soon as I applied it, hundreds of flies showed up and were all over my plants. I applied extra water to the containers afterwards just to wash some of it into the soil more to help kill the stench.
I suppose it's possible. I don't know what kind of bacteria flies carry. I don't have any idea if it's the kind that gives bacterial spot or spec 2 tomatoes but I'm thinking it probably isn't because they're such different biological creatures then tomatoes are.
Old June 16, 2018   #309
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Put out some yellow sticky traps. I ordered 30 from Amazon. I've been catching little flies, mosquitoes and black dots which I think are baby thrips.
Barb
Flies are super strongly attracted to yellow sticky traps, so that's a very good idea. Your little black spots might also be white flies although I don't know if they're prevalent in your area
Old June 16, 2018   #310
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Last year I took a sticky trap into the extension office and the diagnosis was baby thrips. This year I've planted part of my tomatoes in reflective mulch, put up sticky traps and sprayed with neem oil. I've going to spray again next week.
Barb
Old June 16, 2018   #311
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Last year I took a sticky trap into the extension office and the diagnosis was baby thrips. This year I've planted part of my tomatoes in reflective mulch, put up sticky traps and sprayed with neem oil. I've going to spray again next week.
Barb
Horrible little nightmare rat ba$tids! I hate those things. It's war!
Old June 16, 2018   #312
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Horrible little nightmare rat ba$tids! I hate those things. It's war!
Pyrrhic victories at best.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #313
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I've got 2 sticky traps on each plant and all are covered with flies such as leaf miners. About the beginning of may I had serious problems with thrips but haven't seen any recently on the traps. I'm pretty shocked how well these plants with the bacterial speck are growing and blossoming. I've got a beefmaster that has one several vines and the one that is most infected has about 12 blossoms that have bloomed since I noticed the symptoms, and this is woth 90+ degree days. We'll see if they can successfully set fruit, but the plant seems healthy otherwise. I do have a few plants, such as cherokee carbon and golden jubilee, that look pretty poor. The undersides of the leaves do have a shiny bronze sheen to them. Is that what people are referring to with TSWV?
Old June 18, 2018   #314
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The sheen can be from whiteflies, dont know if thrips cause it too. It's the silverleaf whitefly that affects tomato plants. I don't think TSWV has a sheen associated with it, just small dark spots without a yellow halo, and wilting that goes fast.
Old June 18, 2018   #315
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
The sheen can be from whiteflies, dont know if thrips cause it too. It's the silverleaf whitefly that affects tomato plants. I don't think TSWV has a sheen associated with it, just small dark spots without a yellow halo, and wilting that goes fast.
Sooooo many whiteflies....I quit caring. Not plumes when I shake plants but they're pretty well established now. Occasionally I'll hold a yellow card next to a plant as I shake it to watch them fly into it. Gives me a small sense of accomplishment. They really love my green beans, not quite as many on the tomatoes. Peppers are pretty loaded up too.