Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 8, 2017   #121
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
The best this year so far is Mat-Su A. plant 8, then 11, next is Bloody Butcher x Yellow Brandywine F1 then BB X Delicious F2, or BB X Chapman F1, one BB x Delicious F2 was ho-hum. Mat-Su Super B has yet to to deliver what I am looking for out of two tries. The plant 8 Mat-Su was awesome, a serious complex tomato taste.
Many selections are ripening, we will report again soon.
My Mat- Su got beat up by wind but still goin strong! Looking forward to tasting it! Yours look incredible Mark. Sounds like they're getting better and better!. Sure like to give 8 a try next year. I let all mine ripen on the vine last year. Man I'm pumped again now! thanks for the pics.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #122
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have Mat-Su Super B and Plant 11 in the high tunnel. I will note how they compare.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #123
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

The large beefsteak is my PL Black Krim x PL Early Girl, F3. I have the cross broke into three lines, a large red beefsteak, a purple beefsteak, and a round red medium size tomato. They have a very unique interesting taste, they have a strong bite to them,are very good overall, and are early producers for such a large fruit.

The round tomatoes with the red cluster is BB X Delicious, they are hit and miss for me, I have my fingers crossed that the tomatoes on that plant are good. They are very good producers of perfect shaped fruit, and the plant is small and compact too.

The last pics are the Mat- Su Express, we have had some very, good tasting fruit from them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1674.JPG (378.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1676.JPG (366.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1679.JPG (361.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1682.JPG (369.1 KB, 155 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #124
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

beautiful
Old May 10, 2017   #125
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

It's stunning! How is it even possible to have tons of green fruit and one fully ripe red tomato?

Mark - In the Fall (ie August sow) should I continue with the Matsu Express F6s (my saved seeds) or another line? My 3 best plants (all in Root Pouches) still have 40-50 tomatoes on them. I try to count, but lose track. It's a race here against warm nights to see which variety sets fruit last - Matsu is definitely in the running.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #126
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Mark as always i am so impressed with the quality of your plants, fruit, and overall operation. You are the master my friend. Keep up the great work.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #127
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Well I appreciate the kind words. This year has been hard for me, I have had some serious issues with my plants, some are still suffering.
I have a lot to learn, and constantly rely on support within the state, and from places like Hydro Gardens.
Old May 11, 2017   #128
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hydro-Gardens is a great source of info, the catalog is a growers manual, and they'll talk to you intelligently about their products and growing. Mike is matter of fact to the point of brusk, just his way, he does care. I buy his 4-18-38 and not Morgan Seeds generic because of the support materials and the knowledge behind it.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #129
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hey Mark, how long those probes last before you need to replace in the Hanna meters?

I had to replace one already at a year. I've got two and the other is still fine. Mine started reading wacky, up and down, and would not recalibrate.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #130
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I have a lot to learn
I've noticed that the people who are the best at anything tend to have that attitude, which is likely how they got to be so good.
Old May 11, 2017   #131
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I tell my son all the time "how can you ever learn anything if you think you know everything?" Teenagers
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #132
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I've noticed that the people who are the best at anything tend to have that attitude, which is likely how they got to be so good.
Cole, do you remember this quote. "Empty your cup so that it may be filled"?
I bet you do, since some of our back ground is similar. When I talk to someone like Mike at HG, I am very much the student.

Brother Ricky, they don't last long do they. You may like the Blue Lab Truncheon, I have one of those too, no calibration, and only monthly cleanings.
Old May 11, 2017   #133
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

What're the Styrofoam cups for in the grow bags?
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #134
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, mine did the same thing this spring at just at about one year of use. Readings jumped all over even after cleaning and calibrating. I notice two tiny bare silver wires that look like they should lay along the glass bulb that are sticking out 90 degrees to it. I think those are what went bad on mine.
I have the BlueLab Guardian in line monitor now and love it. I don't think I'd go back to Hanna if I ever needed a new handheld again.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #135
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Astoundingly stunning and beautiful, WOW!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote