Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old July 12, 2007   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default First Regular season T-sandwich tonight!

Comprised of Paul Robeson, Maiden's Kiss, and Berkeley Tie Dye. First bite nearly made me swoon. I how the rest of you are about ready to or are doing it too? These three were my first 3 to ripen, excluding cherries and 2 early types.
Old July 12, 2007   #2
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

I'm not anywhere near close out here in Oregon, but it's nice to read about people who are eating garden fresh tomatoes. Which one did you like best Earl?
Old July 13, 2007   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Mary. A tie between Robeson and should be [>Pink< Berkeley Tie Dye]. Both have assertive flavor.
Old July 13, 2007   #4
Likeopene
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl - I know the feeling, I just recently had my first tomato of the season... a Burpee 4th of July (it was 6 days late, LOL!). It was heaven! Nothing like a tomato right off the vine!
Old July 14, 2007   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Always glad to get your impression of how a tomato tastes. We seem to like most of the same stuff. I have some Paul Robeson seeds that I have never opened. No Pink Berkley Tie Dye. Sounds like fun. My first to ripen after the cherries looks like it will be Aunt Gertie's Gold. Keep on with the tomato tasting. I will just have to live vicariously reading about tomato eating until August by the looks of my garden.
Old July 14, 2007   #6
Tom_Ato
Tomatovillian™

My mouth's watering Earl. I have one sungold starting to ripen, but I'm at least 2-3 weeks away from anything else.

Ken
Old July 15, 2007   #7
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I ate my first ever BTD today...it was outstanding I also pulled a Brandy Boy, Noir de Crimee, Black prince, Spudatula Black, Yellow Perfection, Rose De Berne, and several cherries.

I had an unfortunate chain of events that kept me from making the plant swap....But I am gonna do my best to make it to the tastefest...

Earl, do you think there is much taste difference between the pink BTD and the original?
Old July 15, 2007   #8
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Thomas,
I've only tasted the Pink as Brad told me the picture I sent him was Pink Berkeley Tie Dye not Berkeley Tie Dye. I messed up labeling them I reckon. All you'd have to have done was email and I'd have been over to help taste those you picked.

If you don't make it to the tastefest, sorry we didn't give you enough time to plant on being there. :-)

Ken, does that mean I'd better turn on my security system? :-) I've been teaching LeRoy to drag the dummies down to the police station at night instead of bringing them to the house and roaring to wake me up to finishing off the intruders.

Mary, you need to move to Ohio. :-)
Old July 15, 2007   #9
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I have had plenty of notice If I dont make it I will bury my head in the sand

So how do you keep your mouth from swelling up to the point you cant talk? I sampled about 7 different varieties of the 50 I have planted and thought my tounge was gonna puff up and fall off
Old July 16, 2007   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

earl,

i've picked a dozen or so sun golds but nothing else.

this weekend on my azoychka plant i saw that 1 tomato is getting very yellow! i have 2 others turning yellow but aren't as close as this one. i'm thinking either by this weekend or 10 days at the most azoychka will have slicing tomatoes for a sandwich!

i also noticed that grandfather ashlock has 1 tomato that is definately turning pinkish so that one may be also ready by the weekend or in about 10 days too.

i'm so excited i could explode!!!!

tom
Old July 17, 2007   #11
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

So far I've harvested and eaten Black Sea Man, Sioux, Red Barn, Fireball and Noire de Crimmee. I have an Eva Purple Ball, Clint Eastwood's RR, Levino and Manyel sitting on the counter for taste-testing tonight. I grew a few hybrids this year which I've also been harvesting: 4th of July, Early Girl, Better Boy, and Sungold (<- yucky too sweet!) And of course the earlies, Kimberly, Lime Green Salad and Taxi.

I've had just a few cherries at a time including Red Fig, Black Cherry, Dr. Carolyn, Galina's Yellow and Mexico Midget.

I've got a few blushing including Sunset's Red Horizon and Brandywine OTV.

It's an exciting time of year!!

Lisa
Old July 17, 2007   #12
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Miss Mudcat, it is an exciting time of year!!! I had a Levino with lunch, Oh my, Lady, what a tomato! Got a great big ol' Wes we gonna have with supper. :-)
Old July 20, 2007   #13
Tom_Ato
Tomatovillian™

Hey Earl, If I happened to be walking by your garden there's a good chance you see me eating one right off the vine. I guess I'll just have to contend with LeRoy. --Ken