Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2006   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Marizol Purple

I've had seeds for this one for a while and will eventually grow it out, either in '07 or '08 at the latest, I suppose.

I've looked it up before (but may have slept since then) :wink: , and here's what I recall about it -- pink/purple, mid to large sized beefsteak fruit, ~mid-late dtm, RL, indet. plant.

And this was one of the "heirloom" varieties that Bratka actually "found", and didn't invent for demand.

Correct so far? Of course, any further history and personal experiences growing and tasting it would be appreciated.

Also, what does pink/purple mean in this case? Is MP one that belongs in a dark fruited category, or is it really just a pink?

Thanks. 8)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It's really just a pink, albeit a dark pink with reddish overtones, but certainly not a black variety. And yes, indet, RL and fairly late season or mid-late.

I'm the one who has said I thought it was a for real variety since it was the first one I got from Joe, or perhaps Marizol Gold was, and that at a time when he wasn't yet into "creating" varieties and histories, as he started to do a bit later. I also believe Marizol Gold to be for real.

But after that came Marizol Pink, followed by his Purple Brandywine, better known as Marizol Bratka, the name I suggested to him when I found he had created it, followed by all the Sara different colored ones, none of which are heirlooms, and on and on.

But for most it's the taste and performance that count, not whether a variety is for real, or not, as to history.

I'm a bit different in that I want to see correct histories and I want to know if a variety was created in the here and now.

I think Joe named them Marizol based on the fact that his family once lived in Germany in what's known as Maria's Zell ( Maria's town, if you will) and that place name of Marizol was a contraction of that name.

And the idea for that came from a German student who was in a Micro class of mine, not from Joe.

I do like both Marizol Gold and Marizol Purple and what they both share is foliage with a darker bluish tint to the green, at least for me.
Old February 28, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the further background.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote