Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 7, 2018   #5386
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I reheat pizza in the toaster oven. I put it on the rack with no pan and heat it on "toast" and it comes out with a nice crispy crust, and you are right, often tastes even better the second day.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5387
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
I like re-heating home made pizza (from the freezer or the fridge) in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet. The time will vary on the thickness of your pizza.

Once you can smell it and the cheese melts, it is done.

I think it even tastes better the second day!

Non-stick pan or griddle on the stove top, covered with a large pot lid or even a piece of foil, on low heat works well too.

And like Sue said, leaving it out if it has perishables on it is a no-no. Mom used cured meats and cheese, or just cheese. She used to make one for us that only had sauce and grated Pecorino Romano cheese because we thought mozzarella was gross when we were really young.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5388
bower
Tomatovillian™

I think homemade pizza is less of a worry than pizza you bought from a takeout - which could easily be contaminated by handling to pack etc.
Otherwise, you would need some foodborne illness type bacteria to get the bad scene started, wouldn't you? If I baked it at 400 F for 30 minutes, I wouldn't expect any bacteria living after that... Unless for some reason it wasn't well cooked. Or if you didn't handle the raw ingredients carefully and clean up afterwards... even cured meats are notorious for carrying hazards around.

Still it wouldn't worry me to pack a piece of cold homemade pizza for lunch and eat it after carrying around for 3-4 hours.

Your pizza looks amazing btw Worth. Pancetta = pretty topping!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5389
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Anything heated to 350F is dead by a long shot anyway.

Seems to be much safer than Romain lettuce, raw spinach or raw bean sprouts.

Worth
Old January 7, 2018   #5390
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

We had scrambled eggs with onions, some of that ham and grape tomatoes for breakfast yesterday and it was awesome. Picked up some potatoes yesterday so I can use the rest of the ham chunk in the fridge for ham, cabbage and potatoes for dinner tonight.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5391
bower
Tomatovillian™

I just had a big slice of pizza out of the freezer and I think I need a second one. I take it straight out of the deep freeze, turn on the oven at 400 F, then set the timer for 20 minutes. Maybe 15 is enough they come out pretty crispy.. but it does take a few minutes for that oven to heat up.

You just can't beat homemade pizza with your own tomato sauce and tomatoes on it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5392
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For a late brunch my husband diced up and fried some potatoes, cracked some eggs right on top of them in the skillet, then covered it until the eggs were cooked but the yolks still runny.

He wanted to spice up the dish just a little, so he browsed through the spice rack and went with what he thought was a milder paprika and was a little heavy handed with it...

He ended up going with my homegrown Aleppo pepper powder and we both got a good case of the head-sweats with our meal. It was good!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5393
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of too much hot pepper.
I just accidentally dumped too much in this disaster of a calzone.
This is made from the other half of the pizza dough from yesterday.
Smoked salt black pepper and powdered garlic on top slathered in olive oil.
We shall see how bad I messed it up.
Worth
IMG_20180107_2529.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; January 7, 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5394
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A nice Shiner Bohemian Black Lager while I wait.
I have to say, that waiter thinks of everything.
Worth
IMG_20180107_9805.jpg
Old January 7, 2018   #5395
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Lol, all of a sudden your pictures are showing up for me again, Worth. 2 minutes ago, none, now, every one I can see. You should try Prosciutto some time on top your pizza, too, if you haven't already. It is so thin, it gets a little crispy and flavor intensifies even more. Soooo good!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #5396
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here it is and it is spicy hot too.
Worth
IMG_20180107_5739.jpg
Old January 7, 2018   #5397
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Your culinary creations look restaurant-quality as always, Worth, and I would guess tastes better.

I love the Shiner Family variety pack. It's hard to beat the bock, though.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #5398
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

This recipe tastes good and different (For my family at least) "Beef Tips" - we used beef chuck roast instead and added a can of beef broth instead of some of the water http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/beef-tips-17990

We don't usually follow recipes unless baking, but this one turned out tasting really good and tender served over Jasmine rice with some side vegies.
Old January 8, 2018   #5399
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

This is sort of like thinking out loud...

I was talking to Jan yesterday about the changes in cooking that have occurred since our son and family have moved in. I used to base cheap meals on $5 per meal for two. Like Pasta, beans, a chicken breast, etc. Then we would splurge a little and cook babyback ribs and a side, but that's actually staying in the $5 per dinner meal for two range because we would eat them for two nights dinner. We would buy NY Strip steaks on sale and that pushed the budget to around $10 a meal for two. Jan doesn't care for seafood other than shrimp. Shrimp is cheap in Texas - $5 buys 14oz. of shrimp which is two meals for her and I. Yes, the Cheap Eaten thread is how we cook, and we eat well.

But now, a light should have went on over my head - we are cooking for 6. Staying with the $5 cooking for two idea now adds up to $15 per meal for six. The recipe I shared above this fits into that $15 idea for a family of six easily, and it was very good. Yet, we still cook a lot of pasta, beans, pork, and chicken with the cost being well under $15 per dinner.

Our grandchildren like raw vegetables like carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. The whole family needs to buy stock in Best Maid pickles - I can't buy enough of them. They also love Ramen noodles. Hmm. That light bulb is starting to glow above my head - I'm getting to know what to buy and cook. I need more fresh vegetables and fruit to cook with. It will cost a little more, but will satisfy the family and give them some more nutrients.

It took me for what seemed like forever to learn how to cook for two again instead of 4. I put large pans in storage and...well, I did go through that empty nest thing. You'll notice in my posts early in this thread - it was difficult for me to cook for Jan and I.

I would not have written this before because I know a lot of my friends here are single, and I don't want to upset anyone here. But many people have PMed me asking me to continue writing about my family and well...I just did.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 8, 2018 at 02:09 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #5400
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dont forget chili dog night, cheap nutritious, fun and wholesome.
Worth