Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 5, 2017   #76
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic transit gloria View Post
Malachite Box is a mainstay for me. I also like Green Giant (tricky to know when ripe due to translucent skin) and Humph, which my wife says tastes vaguely like rootbeer barrel candy, but I don't get that.
Where HAVE you been since you last posted here on Feb 25th, 2015?

Remember I used to refer to you as sic transit gloria mundi (thus ends the glory of the world).

So great to see you back and posting again.

Carolyn
Old May 5, 2017   #77
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Where HAVE you been since you last posted here on Feb 25th, 2015?

Remember I used to refer to you as sic transit gloria mundi (thus ends the glory of the world).

So great to see you back and posting again.

Carolyn
Well, it's good to be back. Of course I remember you completing my name. I've been busy with life, I guess. I still grew heirloom tomatoes, but I have to say, the last couple years weren't that successful for my garden. Hoping for a better year this year. Growing a lot of old favorites this time. Plus, as a Christmas gift this past year, I received a salt plank (for lack of a better word). People use them cook on, I guess, but I am just going to use it to spread sliced tomatoes on and then serve :-)

We're having asparagus by the bushel right now (I have a large patch). In the garden, the garlic looks good, potatoes are coming up, peas are growing. Inside in the garden tower we have all manner of greens, so I have more room in the outside garden for the good stuff :-)

Glad to see you're still active in the community.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #78
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic transit gloria View Post
Well, it's good to be back. Of course I remember you completing my name. I've been busy with life, I guess. I still grew heirloom tomatoes, but I have to say, the last couple years weren't that successful for my garden. Hoping for a better year this year. Growing a lot of old favorites this time. Plus, as a Christmas gift this past year, I received a salt plank (for lack of a better word). People use them cook on, I guess, but I am just going to use it to spread sliced tomatoes on and then serve :-)

We're having asparagus by the bushel right now (I have a large patch). In the garden, the garlic looks good, potatoes are coming up, peas are growing. Inside in the garden tower we have all manner of greens, so I have more room in the outside garden for the good stuff :-)

Glad to see you're still active in the community.
I'd given almost anything right now for fresh asparagus, we had a huge asparagus bed, and it was back breaking work going along with that forked asparagus knife cutting it, then taking it into the barn where the buncher was,putting red rubber elastic around the bunches, setting them in water, until they were loaded on the truck with other stuff to go to that huge commercial market for others to buy . I still have lots of old tools that we used on the farm,such as bean planters,hoes,spades,round and flat bottom spades, yes forked asparagus knives as well,etc.,

All to say,yes,I'm still active here, doing OK from the neck up,gardening part of the brain and memory seem OK, but below the neck not so good. Permanently homebound now trying to not fall with my walker, and so it goes.

Carolyn, after all, who will be 78 in June.
Old September 17, 2017   #79
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I saw a new Russian GWR commercial variety. 'Antonovka Medovaya' (or, Antonovka Honey)
Has anyone had the opportunity to try it yet? Maybe it's a so new it's only hit the market now..
I was just sent some seeds for this one. I am interested to know as well
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #80
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew gwr tomatoes for the first time.
Green zebra, Malakhitovaya Schkatulka, green grape, green tiger and I loved them all.

I would like to try out green gables but wonder about the maturity. If it is late season or late mid-season it will not like growing here.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #81
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've tried several GWR varieties, but the only one that has earned the "must-grow" status for me is Aunt Ruby's German Green. Well, that and Lucky Tiger. And Cherokee Green Grape...
Old January 28, 2018   #82
MdTNGrdner

I've grown Emerald Apple ( Izumrudnoe Yabloko ) two years now and both times it's been the first non- cherry to ripen in my garden. I can send you seeds if none came in your MMMM package. Just PM your address.
Old January 28, 2018   #83
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks but my list of varieties I want to grow is too long already. Next year in the mmmm maybe?
Got a lot of seeds from you, thank you :-)
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #84
MdTNGrdner

Likewise!
Old January 28, 2018   #85
johnkaplantech
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Tomatoes

I've had good luck with green cherries in Colorado, both Frosted Green Doctor's and Green Grapes - the Green Grapes are sweeter, but you have to be careful they are susceptible to heat stress when in full sun in Colorado - I grow them in partial shade.

But the most striking green tomatoes I've been growing the past few years are Blue Green Zebras - which are a cross between a Green Zebra and an Indigo variety. I got them from a friend a few years ago when they were "Search for the Blue Green Zebra" and some low-f-number unstable hybrid that also grew yellow and not indigo plants. But the ones he grew out that were green striped with an indigo blush on top have bred true for me for 3 generations. Anyway, they are as productive as green zebras, but more interesting in taste, both sweeter, with what I think of as a plum taste, and also with a faint mushroom tone. As usual with indigo varieties, they make good conversation starters, and they're awesome for green salsas and pasta sauces besides. If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to share seeds (I have a lot saved) - ping me back here.
johnkaplantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #86
johnkaplantech
Tomatovillian™

johnkaplantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #87
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Cool pic! Brad's Atomic Grape reminds me of a smaller version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170702_131822222222222222222222.jpg (381.0 KB, 191 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #88
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have only grown fewer than half a dozen gwr varieties and have found one that i like ARGG is it.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #89
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I only recently converted to GWR tomatoes thanks to Marsha .

Cherokee Green and Green Gables both tasted similar and fabulous to me .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #90
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Green is the mainstay, but I have added Spears Tennessee Green to my mainstay list. Wonderful flavor.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote