Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 19, 2018   #1726
bower
Tomatovillian™

So true, other than childbirth (which is reasonable to forget because of the sleep deprivation that follows) I think weather memory is the worst!
One warm summer, or one mild winter, and my expectations totally change. I forget it was ever any other way.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #1727
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
So true, other than childbirth (which is reasonable to forget because of the sleep deprivation that follows) I think weather memory is the worst!
One warm summer, or one mild winter, and my expectations totally change. I forget it was ever any other way.
Why is it that I can come up with sometimes dates and years we had cold or hot weather from years past?
Bugs the heck out of me.
The the Last time the Galveston area had a good freeze like this was back in 1989.
I was working in a granite quarry swinging a sledge hammer in teens weather at the time and moved to the coast looking for work.
That work consisted of rebuilding and replacing deluge valves for fire protection due to the freeze and how I ended up in this trade I am in now.

The first guy I worked with died a few years later in a crop duster in the middle of a rice field in Danbury Texas.
His name was Kevin Wullamb or something spelled like that.
He was a lot younger than me.
I remember he was barking orders and said hand me a pipe wrench and stuck his hand behind his back.
I placed a 48 inch pipe wrench in his hand.
We got along great after that and I gave him an aluminum clip board thing one day after he had started crop dusting and he also was a police officer.
He needed it for his ticket book to write traffic tickets.
A year later he died in that darn crop dusting plane on take off.
Left a wife and child behind.

Forgive me for going off track but the cold weather sometimes reminds me of my dear friend Kevin and I fixing all that busted pipe from the big freeze of 89.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #1728
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Always good to remember friends!

Warm weather continues here: 49 today. Cold rains arriving Tuesday. Snow is prefered! The rains will wash away the last of the snow, again. Another strange winter. Very cold AND very warm.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #1729
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Blizzard!!!

The forecasters said it would be difficult to predict the areas getting the heaviest snowfall. They kept ramping the totals starting late last night. You can have my snow BK. I'm on the 6-8 inch border so far. Tee shirt weather last weekend, now winter is back, then 50's next weekend if the snow doesn't keep the temps down.

DD is staying here with mom on the way back home to midwest Nebraska from the airport. Could be 18 inches in that area. Everyone in the path stay safe and stay put!
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #1730
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Blizzard!!!

The forecasters said it would be difficult to predict the areas getting the heaviest snowfall. They kept ramping the totals starting late last night. You can have my snow BK. I'm on the 6-8 inch border so far. Tee shirt weather last weekend, now winter is back, then 50's next weekend if the snow doesn't keep the temps down.

DD is staying here with mom on the way back home to midwest Nebraska from the airport. Could be 18 inches in that area. Everyone in the path stay safe and stay put!
...and it is supposed to be 59°f today and snow tomorrow night, but no blizzard weather that I have heard of. stay safe warm and off the roads.
Old January 29, 2018   #1731
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

We are getting knee deep in mud---2 days in the high 40's. Abnormally warm. At least the local coyote are not bothering my ducks as the woods are leaf covered, not snow covered.

Forecast is Back to 32/23 for much of this week.

Last edited by Black Krim; January 29, 2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old January 29, 2018   #1732
bower
Tomatovillian™

We continued to have 1 or 2 thaws per week right through January... definitely more than normal! We also had a small taste of the "arctic air", which pushed into the area for only a day or so. Intermittent cold otherwise has been well within normal range, snowfall is down and snow on the ground is also minimal. Ice on the driveway though... yes lots of it. Lots of icy slick cover on snow surfaces from the thaw and freeze. And lumpy from being walked over.

Today we're in one of the thaws again. Staying above zero since yesterday, and for a change the winds are light so even 1 C seems warmer today than 4 C yesterday lashed with wind and rain. But a storm system is coming tonight, and we expect at least 15 cm of snow... before it changes to ice pellets, then freezing rain, then rain and 6 C again! Yep another big mess of the hardest to shovel stuff... I think I'll try shoveling while it's still snowing if it doesn't change before morning.
Old January 29, 2018   #1733
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

We are in a warm spell. Supposed to reach 11 C today with more buckets of rain, possibly as much as 100mm. Lots of high rivers and flooded yards.
Had about 1.5" of snow on Saturday morning. In winter we are often on the cusp between warm/cold air where it could either rain or snow. Most often it rains but I will always remember 4 ft of snow in '96.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #1734
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It has been cold Dec/Jan. Down here. We have had quite few nights with lows in low teens and single digits all the eay down to 6F. It almost killed my onions. Ihope that on the positive side it killed som of the bugs

TONIGHTS LOW 20F.
Now we are talking about Southwest Nc

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #1735
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well I had to shovel 15-20 cm of snow yesterday, but woke up this morning to another day of 8 C (about 46 F) and rain, southerly winds! It is just almost unheard of for us to have sustained southerly winds in the winter, and we are having them on a regular basis.
We're back to freezing tonight, but forecast has the next thaw on Friday. And the long term has a thaw every couple of days. We do get thaws every winter, but not this frequently.

Incidentally I read that coffee grounds is another substitute for salt. Just dumped my saved up grounds on the ice still in the driveway this morning. Hope it works! My supply of 'road grounds' is pretty much endless.
Old February 1, 2018   #1736
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Bower, keep us posted if the coffee grounds work

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2018   #1737
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's been warming up around here, but back to rain all weekend long again. My daughter is coming for a visit Friday and I think we'll be stuck inside for the heavy rain expected kind of curtails any outside fun.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2018   #1738
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Typical weather this time of year nice all week nasty weekends.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #1739
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Snow soaking up last nights rain....waiting to see if freezing temps arrive too. I hear the winds picking up, freeze is likely as this front means a change in temps. And temps can only go down as yesterday was the 50's.
Old February 2, 2018   #1740
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
Bower, keep us posted if the coffee grounds work
Hey Steve,
So far I'm giving it a +1 for traction, not sure if "enhanced melting" is part of that package. Yesterday everything froze up and the grounds were just sitting very dry on the surface of the ice (freeze dried I guess!). Last night we came above zero again and raining so more has melted today. I can see places where it looks like the grounds made a deep melt but other places it's sitting on the surface still... So it's hard to tell, maybe the grounds just flowed into the meltwater rather than making it happen.

One thing I'll admit, it looks kinda gross. And I didn't put any near the door because my first thought, yeah will be tracking that in on my boots... not.

So.. mixed reviews. But I'll keep using it, especially where I have some trees planted near the road that I don't want to risk harming them with the salt. I have never used much of it, but the ice this year is.. extra.

BTW an alternative that worked well for lesser winters is a bag of very fine chipped rock. Got great traction from that, but we weren't having as many freeze and thaws. The ruts in the driveway are deeper every year, and of course anything like rock or sand just goes to the bottom of the "puddle" and when it refreezes you have to do the top again.
What I really need is a load of stone to resurface the lane.