Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 18, 2016   #331
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We're having another tomato breeding workshop -- February 28th.

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #332
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The Collaboration seeds came today Fred. Thanks again. Oh and i saw this plant in a Home Depot today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160311_142713-768x1365.jpg (203.1 KB, 262 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #333
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting. Does grafting give any advantage in Southern California?
Old March 11, 2016   #334
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I had a grafted Mighty Mato Lucky Tiger 2 seasons ago and it seemed to do just as good as the rest of my container plants. My then 3 year old son saw it at a Vons grocery store for sale and had to have it. Smart kid even at 3. I think its more of a gimic to sell 9.99 plants than an actual advantage other than possibly a small increase on production.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old March 11, 2016   #335
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

How cute and smart that is-that a three year old would know that a grafted plant is a good thing. Now that's just darling!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #336
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Hello Fred,

I'm getting close to putting my squash in the ground, can you say how much space I'm going to need for Terromoto and Papavero, suggested planting distance and how much room to sprawl?

Thanks!!!
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #337
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I would give Terremoto and Papavero plenty of room to sprawl. They are two of the largest vined squash we grow (a plant can easily fill a 5 foot by 5 foot square.
Old June 2, 2016   #338
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Our next tomato growing/breeding workshop is June 12th
Old July 27, 2016   #339
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I ordered seeds on Moday, and they arrived today, Wednesday. Not sure what time they arrived, but I am blown away that 48-50 hours after I order them, they are here! Pretty short time to go from California to Texas! I can't wait to try these!
Thanks!
Old July 27, 2016   #340
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Trust me. You were the exception. While I try to keep up, most of the orders that went out Monday came in earlier (and were not processed as quickly).

But seeing complaints on Tomatoville about delivery times (by other vendors) made me re-commit to doing a better job at turning orders around. I don't want to see a thread titled: "Artisan Seeds -- They are super slow and they suck"

Even if it is the middle of my tomato season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I ordered seeds on Moday, and they arrived today, Wednesday. Not sure what time they arrived, but I am blown away that 48-50 hours after I order them, they are here! Pretty short time to go from California to Texas! I can't wait to try these!
Thanks!
Old July 30, 2016   #341
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I found an Artisan Blend but nowhere does it state which tigers it contains. 15 seeds for 3.49 seems pretty high. I thought it was a mislabeling but it appears to be a triple play pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160730_101731-768x1365.jpg (186.8 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; July 31, 2016 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Corrected original post
Old July 30, 2016   #342
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Actually, the package appears to be describing a blend of Tigers, and the picture infers that they are Pink, Lucky and Blush. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. 15 seeds for $3.49 is what gets my goat. Fred sells 100 seeds for not much more.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #343
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Actually, the package appears to be describing a blend of Tigers, and the picture infers that they are Pink, Lucky and Blush. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. 15 seeds for $3.49 is what gets my goat. Fred sells 100 seeds for not much more.
Yeah i think you are right. On the back it did not explain which tigers it contained.
Old July 31, 2016   #344
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred,

"Our apologies. We are not currently set up to ship products to your country or postal code."

Why won't Artisan ship seeds to Canada? No issues to do this, just a simple form on the envelope - < a minute to fill out.

Thanks.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #345
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have decided to ship to Canada, but one thing that I worry about is having a bunch of Canadian orders for single seed packets where the price really doesn't cover all of the costs (including increased postage and the time to fill out forms at the Post Office).

So, I have added a flat $2 charge for shipping to Canada.

I changed the website (at least I think I did). Please let me know if you have any trouble ordering now.

Cheers,
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Hi Fred,

"Our apologies. We are not currently set up to ship products to your country or postal code."

Why won't Artisan ship seeds to Canada? No issues to do this, just a simple form on the envelope - < a minute to fill out.

Thanks.