Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2017   #256
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Reporting from Southeast NC.
It is sunny, @ ~ 74F , with a nice breeze coming from North-Northwest
Come July and we will be sizzled.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #257
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

All I can do these days is look at my garden through the dining room window and wonder if and when spring will get here.

Yesterday it looked like it would be soon

Different story today...

Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #258
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, what a let down. Your garden on the other hand looks to be well kept.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #259
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

gg. The snow missed us entirely in the north metro, it twas a beautiful slow rain that helped a lot. I saw the Sep-Mar precip totals were the lowest ever recorded for Denver, fortunately the high country has a good snowpack. I'm thinking we will have some watering restrictions this Summer.

From last year's fair I'm planting seeds I saved from the Daniel Burson you gave me. It's got great taste and appearance, it's new, and a good story on background and cross. The judges like that stuff.

Hey also, the 'Taste of Tomato Festival' is Sep 9th this year. That's kind of late in my mind.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #260
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Ricky-we only got about 2" of wet snow that melted quickly. More rain predicted Mon to Tues. It's even nice to dig up dandelions!

I misnamed the tomato from the Festival in Boulder that I'm trying - Isis Candy red cherry.

Nice to see that the Boulder Festival is in September so most of the larger heirlooms will be ripe. I'm not sure which ones I should bring, different ones for sure. I'm hoping to have a few that I've never heard of, and maybe a couple smaller ones. I have a few seedlings up, and am waiting for many more.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #261
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Ricky. I've sown tomato seeds from March 1 to April 1 and know that the later you plant them the better they'll be. Even if they're leggy, you can just trench plant them - in the ground anyway. I've always put the smaller Romas in the buckets as they don't seem to grow as well in the ground for me.

Hopefully we'll have great heirlooms to share at the "Taste of Tomato" - if they ripen by that time. Did you plant any from that fair? I'm trying Isis red cherry as it tasted wonderful. plus your two CY and CV.
I only know of Isis Candy, no Isis Red Cherry that I know of. And if Isis Candy, it's not a red cherry it's a bicolor.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Isis_Candy

bred by,who else but Joe Bratka,I've been posting a lot about him here recently.

And Isis,lest we not get political

https://www.google.com/search?q=isis...&bih=790&dpr=1

Isis was an Egytian Goddess.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn,who perks up when she sees words like Denver and Boulder,from the many years she was in Denver before she moved back home to upstate NY..
Old April 2, 2017   #262
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Isis Candy is in caps. red cherry is not.

The sample that we tried at the Festival was red.

Any time you want to know about Denver, just ask. You lived in Denver proper. I live near Red Rocks, a very different climate, about 5800'.

Last edited by guruofgardens; April 2, 2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old April 2, 2017   #263
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Isis Candy is in caps. red cherry is not.

The sample that we tried at the Festival was red.

Any time you want to know about Denver, just ask. You lived in Denver proper. I live near Red Rocks, a very different climate, about 5800'.
You wrote

(Isis Candy red cherry.)

Me still be confused,sorry. There were no punctuation marks between the two leading me to think you were referring to just one variety.

So are you saying you grew Isis Candy AND Red Cherry, which would be capitalized if it were a different variety? Which could be any red cherry,there are several.

Whatever you are growing I hope it or them,turn out to be good ones for you this summer.

And yes,I've been to Red Rocks,where they hold the concerts/shows there,fabulous place and they don't call Denver the Mile High City if it weren't 5400 ft above sea level.

I wouldn't call where I lived exactly Denver proper,for when I moved from an Apt near the med center my home was at 1629 Locust, one block down from the 17th Ave Pkway and two blocks over from Monaco Pkway ,the road that goes out to Stapleton
International Airport.

It was a great neighborhood,I could walk down a few blocks to 14th Ave to that huge grocery store, was it Wegmans,and there was a great Mexican restaurant and a Baskin Robbins and a great deli down there as well.

I was involved with politics out there so had season tickets to the Broncos who played at Mile High Stadium.

Thanks for some good memories from Estes Park to Pike's Peak and if the wind was from the West smelling the smells from the Monfort Feed lots as well.

Finally, when walking down to 14th Ave, sometimes I would walk down the alley way and I met an Italian man who had a tomato garden along the alley way and oh how I wished I had asked for seeds,but then there was a great nursery quite aways down Colorado Blvd that sold tomato plants,just above the turnoff to Cherry Creek shopping Center, and yes,I grew tomatoes at my home as well.

Carolyn
Old April 2, 2017   #264
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn - Stapleton Airport is now a community since Denver International Airport was built way out in the boonies in 1995. Fitzsimmons Hospital is also now a community. There is so much construction I hardly recognize landmarks from 5-10 years ago.

The Broncos play at Sports Authority Field at Mile High stadium - a horrible name for a stadium. Since Sports Authority has gone defunct we're hoping for the name to be returned to Mile High. It's all $$. For now, the name will remain.

You should have stayed in your house on Locust St. - it's worth over $700K+.

For tomatoes, I plan on growing Isis Candy this year because of the sweet flavor we tasted at the Festival in Boulder.
Old April 3, 2017   #265
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn - Stapleton Airport is now a community since Denver International Airport was built way out in the boonies in 1995. Fitzsimmons Hospital is also now a community. There is so much construction I hardly recognize landmarks from 5-10 years ago.

The Broncos play at Sports Authority Field at Mile High stadium - a horrible name for a stadium. Since Sports Authority has gone defunct we're hoping for the name to be returned to Mile High. It's all $$. For now, the name will remain.

You should have stayed in your house on Locust St. - it's worth over $700K+.

For tomatoes, I plan on growing Isis Candy this year because of the sweet flavor we tasted at the Festival in Boulder.
Thanks for the update, with one exception...why did you have to tell me my home at 1629 Locust was now worth 700K? Yes it was built by a professional builder and his crew,but Sheesh

My retirement folks have several call centers in many parts of the US but I love it when I get connected to Denver.Their office is across from the Brown Palace Hotel and that's how I found out that they were tearing down the med center and hospital at Colorado and 8th.

I get local updates as well since my UPS driver has a son who moved out to CO two years ago and he works for some Boeing place I think.

https://jobs.boeing.com/location/col...2001-5417618/3

I think he's either in Englewood or Aurora,not in Denver.

Carolyn
Old April 6, 2017   #266
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

36 and 38 here the next two nights, with frost predicted tomorrow night. I think I'm going to go buy a heater for the greenhouse. I'm looking at forced air job site heaters. I think I will buy buy one that can burn kerosene and diesel, which should heat at half the price of LP. Four gallons of diesel will get me through a night, which is half the price of a 20-lb LP tank that would burn out in the same time.

Here's the one I'm eyeing at the moment:
https://www.ruralking.com/mr-heater-...er-mh50kr.html
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #267
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Cole, the image wouldn't come up but the description sounds pretty sweet. Sure would come in handy in a pinch! Hope the shipping isn't sky high! Lol. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #268
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic. I'm going to get one off the shelf this afternoon, no time to wait for shipping. The farm store has a 15% rebate on everything right now.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #269
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We were 37 this morning and supposed to be 32-35 tomorrow morning. I am glad I haven't put anything in the ground yet. 10 day forecast looks like lowest morning temp of 45 with highs upper 70's. I am going to take a chance and plant a few Early Girl Saturday morning and hope for some early tomatoes this year. I just can't sit here any longer.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #270
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I have heard good things about the Mr Heaters.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote