Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 29, 2018   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nan, when I made the post Title - I thought some would think of different ways of lighting tomatoes. More than one 4rth of July has included blowing up tasteless tomatoes with fireworks at our house. They can't all be favorites.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

MissMoustache, I read what you wrote earlier today. With my insomnia, I have to get out of bed too. I am not into drinking tea, but I have read about almost all the blends you mentioned. I'll have to look up Valerian.

With the smart phone, tablet/IPad - I don't use those things even though we have smart phones and tablets. I do have a computer and a 3.51 GPA in computer science (Back in the late 1990s). The color spectrum is both scientific and psychological. I agree with both, so I do know what you are talking about. I have done a lot of research on this and have experienced it psychologically in years past.

I like to write, as my 12,000 posts would suggest. It fills a need for me.
Old October 30, 2018   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I tried the Valerian pills one time and in the middle of the night I woke up with heartburn and belching what tasted like a pile of dried up rag weeds.
Worst experience ever.

For me I dont drink any caffeine after around 12 noon or something.
Most of the time not after 7 in the morning.
Not even a coke.

A couple of glasses of red wine or two small drinks of alcohol like rum or bourbon with water and lemon/lime with some sugar works wonders.
Add coke to the mix and I cant go to sleep.

If yo are mixing any caffeine type mixer with your vodka it may very well be part of your problem.

Or you may just enjoy the solitude of the night when everyone else is in bed.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Or you may just enjoy the solitude of the night when everyone else is in bed. That is true too. My intake of caffeine is in the morning in my coffee. I don't drink tea or soft drinks with caffeine. I mostly drink water. When I drink vodka it's with an orange soda which has no caffeine.
When the insomnia happens - it's because of increased pain and/or anxiety.

I didn't think about the onions needing less light.
Old October 30, 2018   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Or you may just enjoy the solitude of the night when everyone else is in bed. That is true too. My intake of caffeine is in the morning in my coffee. I don't drink tea or soft drinks with caffeine. I mostly drink water. When I drink vodka it's with an orange soda which has no caffeine.
When the insomnia happens - it's because of increased pain and/or anxiety.

I didn't think about the onions needing less light.
Odd I used to drink vodka and orange crush.

Yes the onions don't need a lot of light or you will confuse them big time.
You could literally keep them going forever I suppose under false conditions.
Something I have yet to try.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018   #21
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Robert, just so you know, some orange soda has cafffiene. I too have anxiety and have to watch my caffiene intake so it doesn't get worse. I was getting jittery and had heart racing until I figured out the orange soda I was occasionally drinking had caffiene. There is a grape soda with caffiene too.

Right now for my evening ritual of relaxing I'm enjoying Yogi Tea Soothing Caramel Bedtime blend. It's a nice alternative to coffee.
Also it has skullcap...I forgot to mention that one but it has soothing properties. Of course any thing you take supplement or herbal, you should check for reactions like allergies and check to see if it will have any adverse reaction with other drugs/supplements.

Worth, valerian tastes...like...rotted moldy herbs to me. It's not good. I prefer lemon balm. It can have some stomach soothing and migraine reducing properties so it hits all the big points for me. I usually make a tincture or a syrup.

When I drink vodka it's with cranberry and lime juice or cranberry and grapefruit juice. Yum!

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018   #22
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

But...if you grow valerian apparently dogs like it like cats like catnip. I got some seeds to plant this spring and we'll test that with my neighbors dogs who like to walk in my garden

Old October 30, 2018   #23
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Plant that valerian far from the tomatoes!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018   #24
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Nan, I learned my lesson a few years ago planting catnip in a container near my tomato containers.

Tomatoes will eventually recover from being smashed during cat fights...but they don't recover very well or fast!

Old October 31, 2018   #25
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I started this thread when I was having insomnia, but lighting time was something on my mind. I just used the sleepless time to make a constructive thread.

Several have replied and some have PMed about insomnia. I appreciate the advice and you all are both caring about my insomnia and sharing your experiences. I will start a thread about Insomnia soon (Not Tonight). I can't even guess at how many threads I have started in my 4+ years here. I try to write about what some of us are experiencing or have experienced. Many times, there are answers not just for me and those who respond, but also for those who only read the threads. However, I will make the insomnia thread in the two cents section which visitors cannot see. The reason being is that Insomnia may very well affect your ability to garden, but it's not about gardening, and this is a gardening site.

For my 4+ years here, I have enjoyed conversing/responding with you all. I want you to all know that.

Getting back to lighting, I wish I could change the title. It would be more about lighting for certain vegetable seedlings. Namely Onions, peppers, and tomatoes. If there was a Texan main 3 ingredients type thing - those would be the three.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 31, 2018 at 12:14 AM.