Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old August 13, 2018   #16
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

OK, so not necessarily a hand-picked jury but a hand-picked location and situation for the utmost publicity...it worked.
Old August 13, 2018   #17
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"CBS says Johnson was allowed to go first because of the advanced stage of his disease and the possibility he may not live to see a verdict."
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #18
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
"CBS says Johnson was allowed to go first because of the advanced stage of his disease and the possibility he may not live to see a verdict."

And CBS is exactly correct. That is the reason this case went first.

According to CNN, "Johnson's case is the first to go to trial because, his doctors claim in court filings, he is nearing death. And in California, dying plaintiffs can be granted expedited trials."

This made it easier to move past Monsanto's stalling tactics. If you look at section 36 D of this California code you will see this:

(d) In its discretion, the court may also grant a motion for preference that is accompanied by clear and convincing medical documentation that concludes that one of the parties suffers from an illness or condition raising substantial medical doubt of survival of that party beyond six months, and that satisfies the court that the interests of justice will be served by granting the preference.

This is the main reason the first trial was held in California. The fact that it was in friendly territory was just an added bonus. The next case is in St Louis I think which is headquarters of Monsanto. So I guess Monsanto will have home field advantage in this trial.

Last edited by seaeagle; August 13, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #19
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I saw my first commercial from lawyers to sue Montsanto aver Roundup this morning.

"If you have used Roundup and been diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma.....call us"
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #20
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Roundup Settlement

Im not biased towards or against one side... im biased towards what the science says. I havent heard of any studies in good peer reviewed journals that show any negative correlation between correctly applied roundup an human health, or improved health qualities of organic crops, etc. If there was a statistically significant correlation between glyphosate and cancer in a study published in Science or Nature it would make the careers of the authors. All I ever hear are bad studies with poor controls or things that get twisted into propaganda by conspiracy theorists or people making careers fearmongering. We have the safest best food supply in human history. Organic is great but t has downsides and for many farmers it isnt practical.

Last edited by nbardo; August 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #21
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Roundup Settlement

One other thought.. the organic industry is large and trying to influence your choices too. Food labeling is also a big issue. Mostly from the organic/anti gmo industry. Hormone free meat and dairy dont exist, all plant and animal products have hormones. Yet you still see that label. All milk is gluten free, yet you see the label. Might as well put a lead free label on products too so people think the stuff without the label contains lead, even though it doesnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #22
kurt
Tomatovillian™

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Thomas

Gots to remember this guy at one time worked for Monsanto.Made some crucial comments about the above.Plenty of info in our archives here.

Check his early career page.
Old August 13, 2018   #23
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbardo View Post
Im not biased towards or against one side... im biased towards what the science says. I havent heard of any studies in good peer reviewed journals that show any negative correlation between correctly applied roundup an human health, or improved health qualities of organic crops, etc. If there was a statistically significant correlation between glyphosate and cancer in a study published in Science or Nature it would make the careers of the authors. All I ever hear are bad studies with poor controls or things that get twisted into propaganda by conspiracy theorists or people making careers fearmongering. We have the safest best food supply in human history. Organic is great but t has downsides and for many farmers it isnt practical.
Quote:
One other thought.. the organic industry is large and trying to influence your choices too. Food labeling is also a big issue. Mostly from the organic/anti gmo industry. Hormone free meat and dairy dont exist, all plant and animal products have hormones. Yet you still see that label. All milk is gluten free, yet you see the label. Might as well put a lead free label on products too so people think the stuff without the label contains lead, even though it doesnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree for the most part.

As said before, I feel badly for the guy with the cancer, but think he should also bear some responsibility in this as he used the sprayer in very windy weather and allowed himself to "become drenched" in the pesticide and kept on spraying and working.

No one should get drenched with ANY pesticide,organic or other wise, and especially go on working in the wet clothes.

Many problems arise when people either do not read or follow the directions and safety statements with many things, ranging from pesticides to know what may or may not be used with an extension cord or size of extension cord.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #24
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default The Smoking Gun

This is part of what the jury saw. This article details the lies, deception and corruption of Monsanto executives complete with links to the internal company documents.

Basically what is, is proof that Monsanto knew that Roundup causes cancer and will do anything to keep this toxic substance from at least even having a warning on the product.

https://usrtk.org/pesticides/how-mon...lassification/
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #25
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad I don't own any Bayer stock ( the company that now owns Monsanto), it dropped 11% today, maybe more from what I heard on the radio today.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #26
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
One other thought.. the organic industry is large and trying to influence your choices too.

Just thought I should point out, this "Gardening in the Green" subforum is dedicated to alternatives to chemical ferts and pesticides. So I don't think you're going to find any converts here, to your views about "the safest best food supply in human history". This subforum is for organic growers, farmers, and methods. Your comments don't belong here.

There is another thread on this subject though, in the 2 cents forum where all dissenting viewpoints are commonly aired, so I suggest that advocates of chemical ag should post your opinions there instead. ... thanks!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #27
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
This is part of what the jury saw. This article details the lies, deception and corruption of Monsanto executives complete with links to the internal company documents.

Basically what is, is proof that Monsanto knew that Roundup causes cancer and will do anything to keep this toxic substance from at least even having a warning on the product.

https://usrtk.org/pesticides/how-mon...lassification/
Thanks for posting this one. It looks like the tobacco industry protests about their products' safety when they were challenged in court.
Old August 13, 2018   #28
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I agree for the most part.

As said before, I feel badly for the guy with the cancer, but think he should also bear some responsibility in this as he used the sprayer in very windy weather and allowed himself to "become drenched" in the pesticide and kept on spraying and working.

No one should get drenched with ANY pesticide,organic or other wise, and especially go on working in the wet clothes.

Many problems arise when people either do not read or follow the directions and safety statements with many things, ranging from pesticides to know what may or may not be used with an extension cord or size of extension cord.
Yet I've been hearing, since the '80's at least, that roundup is safe enough to drink just like the scientist says in this article. Safe enough to spray wearing shorts according to my city's lands management office.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...oore_n_6956034

If that's what people have been told by employers and scientists and they believe it who is really at fault?
Old August 15, 2018   #29
imp
Tomatovillian™

I'e used Round up wearing shorts and a tank top. But, it's not what you are wearing when using ANY pesticide, it's following the directions for use. Never a good idea to get drenched clothes from spraying when it is windy and then not immediately getting cleaned up and changed out of those clothes.

Any pesticide should not be sprayed in windy conditions. No pesticide organic or otherwise, is good to have your clothing soaked with and continue to wear them through out the day. Common sense seems to be gone often these days.

Besides getting soaked with the pesticide himself in this case, how much pesticide drift did he cause?

People are responsible for themselves in so far as reading and following the directions of any pesticide they are using, yet many do not.

I have empathy for this man and his family, and would not wish any cancer on anyone, it's a dreadful disease. In this case, I would think there is shared culpability though as he did not follow the directions and made the choice to wear those clothes that were soaked with round up.

Beings that he was doing this while employed means there should have been a - I forget what it is called- a data sheet that he should have been familiar with in a book with other data sheets for each chemical in use at that work place.

How many of us, read the directions and warnings each time we use something such as a fertilizer or chemical, organic or not, before we use it each time?

Doesn't take long to read it, but many don't.

I did and still do, because Rob was really a maniac about that stuff, the data sheets and such. I even have poison control number in my phone, just in case.

My point being is that anyone, any place, that uses any chemicals, organic or not, should read the directions and warnings & follow them as well each time.

How many threads have we had about neighbors spraying and chemical drift damages on this 1 site? That comes from a bad choice, not from the product it's self, but from the person spraying it while not following directions.

It seems every one loves to hate Monsanto, but all for profit companies are in business to make a profit; that is the end purpose, no matter the company, no matter the product or service. I don't think Monsanto loves me or is looking out for me, but I do think Monsanto does clearly list directions and warnings on their labels for Round up and if one makes the choice to not know those things or to use incorrectly, then the culpability shifts to the person making that choice.

At what point does the individual take responsibility for their own choices?
Old August 15, 2018   #30
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post

Just thought I should point out, this "Gardening in the Green" subforum is dedicated to alternatives to chemical ferts and pesticides. So I don't think you're going to find any converts here, to your views about "the safest best food supply in human history". This subforum is for organic growers, farmers, and methods. Your comments don't belong here.

There is another thread on this subject though, in the 2 cents forum where all dissenting viewpoints are commonly aired, so I suggest that advocates of chemical ag should post your opinions there instead. ... thanks!

You can tell others to post their opinions else where, I guess , but it's a bit odd you point out that this is for "alternatives to chemical ferts and pesticides", but this particular discussion is about round up.

Is that a teeny bit rude to tell another member their opinion can't be here just as yours is or any one else's as long as discussion is polite?

Are only certain members allowed to post in this sub forum and not others ?

I myself use a variety of methods to control problems, some organic, some not, so do you wish to exclude me from this forum?