Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 24, 2013   #31
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

There are but two ways to disagree with another person's opinion: respectfully or disrespectfully.

I welcome the former, but have zero tolerance for the latter. Some here would do well to learn how to differentiate between the two, lest you place your membership in peril.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013   #32
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Imagine the arguments if we brought up the origin of the name FRENCH FRY!

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....-french-fries/

Yes, I would hate for a comic strip to break out.

Thanks to ..
http://calvinhobbesdaily.tumblr.com/
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013   #33
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
Imagine the arguments if we brought up the origin of the name FRENCH FRY!
No matter the origins, I just LOVE to eat them!!
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013   #34
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

This is the funniest part of the story...

Quote:
Parmentier then began a more aggressive campaign to promote the potato in France, hosting dinners featuring potatoes with such notable dignitaries as Benjamin Franklin, Antoine Lavoisier, King Louis XVI, and Queen Marie Antoinette. He also would hire armed guards to surround his potato patch, to try to convince people that what was in the patch was very valuable. He would then tell the guards to accept any bribes they were offered by people and let them “steal” the potatoes.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #35
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Hi guys! Me again...this thread has been real helpful. It's nearly spring time and I am getting ready to plant. Just planting what my farm center has for the first year that you guys recommended (Kennebec and Yukon). I read that I should plant them 2-4 weeks before frost. Does that ring true for all of you? My frost date here in VA is May 12 (only 10% chance of frost) April 27 (50% chance of frost). I got this info from a VA guide. So the soonest would be April 14. Does that seem right to you? We are supposed to be getting lots of snow tonight! Just want to make sure I get them in at the right time. I once talked to a farmer who told me he trialed potatoes for many years and found to early or too late effected his yields.

My husband plowed a small part of the garden to see if his plow needed repairs and we were surprised to find the soil was looking really good. Nice and crumbly already. Now for the snow.....Boo hoo.
Old March 6, 2014   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I read through the complete thread and am very disappointed.
It started with French fry potato.
Much debate was put forth on the different aspects of this lowly beast called potato.

Now I put forth what is really important.
How to cook a good french fried potato.
You guys grow them I will cook them.
Here it goes.

Put the cut up potatoes in the fryer on medium to medium low heat.
Let cook till done just about through and through but not brown at all.
Take out and let cool to at least room temperature or colder, I put mine in the chiller.
Get all of them done like this, cook your chicken or catfish and set aside.
Get the potatoes back out, bring the oil up to med high heat or more and finish flash frying them to golden brown.
This makes a very crispy potato that is not soggy and wont go limp.
This takes prep time but in the long run is more efficient.

Good tater growing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #37
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I pulled up my red pontiacs today. Yukons will be much later. I planted about 2# cut potato and my total yield today was 13#. So six and a half pounds yieled for every pound planted. We noticed they didn't go far down in the Earth. The clay soil I have got quite a bit compacted it seemed, even though no one walked on it. It's hard to compare to you guys from earlier b/c the estimates given were per plant.

The potatoes taste amazing! Much nicer than the farmers market even. I did notice some scaley skin on some potato spots. Maybe scab? We are pretty happy with the results. Next year raised, loose soil, beds for more potatoes!
Old June 24, 2014   #38
kath
Tomatovillian™

"Scaley skin" is probably scab if the soil is on the alkaline side. Some varieties are more resistant than others. How far the spuds set from the plant also varies with variety. I get less scab here on Red Norland than I did with Red Pontiac.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #39
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kath, I was a little nervous thinking it was something serious, but I guess not to worried as I ate them! I did think, "hmmm never saw this at the grocery store".
Old June 24, 2014   #40
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
Thanks Kath, I was a little nervous thinking it was something serious, but I guess not to worried as I ate them! I did think, "hmmm never saw this at the grocery store".
I just peel the ones that have scab on them. If it's something serious the inside of the potato would be so unappealing you wouldn't want to eat it.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #41
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Well...I'm back at it this year! I could not get ahold of Amey Potatoes. I have 6 new varieties this year and took what I learned last year in mistakes- and my new crop is doing great!

We dug deeper with a real tiller- I have been watering regularly (sometimes every night with this heat!), hilling up with soil and then straw- I have also given them much more space. No pests this year besides a few leafhoppers (no big deal), and the plants are three feet tall, very green and very bushy. Wish me luck! I am hoping for that 10# yield or more!

Last year- it looks like I never got back about those yukons, but my yield was 3#! For every pound I planted I got 3#. Ridiculous. I would say it wasn't worth the work, but they tasted so delicious. Currently, I am trying to learn everything about growing potatoes- like how a homesteader would. Someone not relying on feed stores or grocery stores.
Old May 17, 2015   #42
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default kennebeck, a good all around potato

I've grown kennebeck potatoes for the past 10 years and are my wife and my personal favorite. We like them Mashed, Baked, fried with onions, or cut up, oiled, salted and rolled up in foil and thrown on the grill while cooking out ( makes a great French fry of sorts; a favorite of ours). There is nothing as good as creamed baby potatoes and peas fresh out of the garden. It makes my mouth water just to think of it.

Potatoes are a must in my garden; a great productive crop to grow using a variety of methods depending on your situation. Kennebeck seems to grow good for me here in Iowa.

I have found potatoes a very forgiving crop to grow and I usually have enough left in the spring to just plant the whole potato, which usually gives me excellent results.