Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 31, 2015   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default First time planting garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I plant garlic about... 3" deep... sometimes maybe 2 and other times probably 4"... doesn't seem to hurt them, just get them in the ground. I have taken scapes to the market just to have something on the table, but I can't even give them away at the end of the market.

Hand out recipe cards for garlic scape pesto and you might have better luck. I've found people have either never heard of scapes, or their only experience with them has been scape pesto. Everyone I know who has tried it loves it, and pesto is very a very familiar and approachable food for many.

PS -- tell them it freezes very well and make a great accompaniment to thos wonderful tomatoes you'll be offering later in the season....
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default First time planting garlic

Deleted - duplicate post
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #18
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We roast them in the oven on a sheet pan after hitting them with a bit of olive oil and salt. Makes a very tasty, once a year special side dish, often served aside a nice juicy steak.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote