Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old August 18, 2010   #16
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gardener,

I will be at MAGTAG early and so I probably should bring the Charcole and get it started early to avoid dangerous food shortages . Unless of course you are comming early? As an alternative you could bring water bottles in a cooler labled "Water". We would put it with the other drinks. That would come in very handy! What do you think?

Cecilia,

I have 9 inch paper plates with a wax coating that would be perfect for tomato presentation because more will fit closer on the tables and the Chinet will absorb water. The Chinet, however, are the perfect size for food! What do you think?

I will also bring some larger wax coated in reserve.

Greg
Old August 19, 2010   #17
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I am bringing my Gazebo for the cooking area to reduce sunburn. If anyone else has one it could come in handy.

Greg
Old August 19, 2010   #18
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

And I need to remember to bring the food scale!
Old August 20, 2010   #19
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
I will be at MAGTAG early and so I probably should bring the Charcole and get it started early to avoid dangerous food shortages
That is so thoughtful!

Okay, so I'm bringing Ziploc bags and emergency TP. Any other supplies needed?

I don't think I can get there at 9:00. What time will the tomato tasting begin?

Christine
Old August 20, 2010   #20
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Christine,

The party officially starts a 9AM but most folk are there until after 10AM. The tasting really begins as soon as the tomatoes hit the table. There is no real set order to it except at some point it does come to an end usually before 4PM and closer to 3PM.

I had suggested bringing Water but I realize now that I already said I would bring that. Further more, I already have a cooler ready with the water and Juice boxes so don't worry about that. Just bring your self!

I am starting a thread to explain how tomato presentation and rating works though many already know this. Have a look.

Greg

Last edited by gflynn; August 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 20, 2010   #21
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, our cooler is doing emergency duty as a refrigerator, since the real fridge went south a couple of days ago.

Thoughts:

a. could bring water and put it in someone else's cooler
b. could swap missions with someone else who's doing something not cold

Or..?

Christine

P.S. Holy frijole, it just occurred to me: I don't think I'm going to be able to chill a cheesecake. Oh man.
Old August 20, 2010   #22
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Christine,

Don't sweet it. I actually bought a bunch of bottled water yesterday in anticipation of a camping trip and I already agreed to bring as I can see from my previous posts.

Just bring your self! Oh and if you have any tomatoes bring those too!

Greg
Old August 20, 2010   #23
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Christine,

Don't sweet it. I actually bought a bunch of bottled water yesterday and I already agreed to bring as I can see from my previous posts.

Just bring your self! Oh and if you have any tomatoes bring those too!

Greg
Old August 20, 2010   #24
gazpacho
Tomatovillian™

I will bring hummus and veggies, a loaf of anise bread. I hope I will have some tomatoes tomorrow, but no guarantee, Also bringing some arugula seeds a friend sent me from Egypt that I promised to Trudi, but will bring some extras for the seed exchange, but will need something to put them in. Will only be there two or three hours because Jim just got in from the Middle East last night. Lisa
Old August 20, 2010   #25
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

A few last minute comments:

I just finished cooking the bacon for the BLT bar (nice and crispy for Luanne); still need to wash and tear the lettuce.

The bad news is, I have no tomatoes of my own worth bringing. Nada. Zilch. Bupkis. The good news is, my co-worker Jennifer gave me a bunch of Better Boys or some other kind of hybrid she grew from plants for my BLT bar. She also grew a plum type, which I am calling "Jennifer's Mystery Roma" since she can't remember which variety it is.

I went to Office Depot today and bought some marked-down name tags (since we forgot about them), and some raffle tickets! BTW, I've added another book to the raffle - William Alexander's "The $64 Tomato." Too bad we don't have a copy of Carolyn Male's "bible" to raffle off - for now I'll call it "The incomplete tomato library." $1 a chance for the aforementioned book, Amy Goldman's "Heirloom Tomato," and Tim Stark's "Heirloom." All proceeds will go to Trudi's Wintersown.org educational charity. (Trudy, are you there?)
Old August 20, 2010   #26
gardener
Tomatovillian™

Well I am already in Hunt Valley and I have two big bags of charcoal, a chimney starter. Sorry I didn't see that someone else was bringing charcoal until I checked in to my hotel.

I have lots of tomatoes, green grape, riesentraube, cuostralee, and one anna russian.

Looking forward to meeting y'all tomorrow.
Old August 20, 2010   #27
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gardner,

Sounds Good, I will wait for you and the Charcole unless it starts getting late. Cecelia and I do clean-up meaning that if anything is missing we try and cover it. So if your there with Charcole that would be a big help.

Greg
Old August 20, 2010   #28
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecelia,

I have a few extra Dr. Lyles. I think we will be ok.

Greg
Old August 20, 2010   #29
hank
Tomatovillian™

I'm bringing about 15 lbs of p Cherokees. They are not pretty. Can bring more Brandywines and any number of Mountain Fresh. They would be a lesson of grocery store perfect looking toms versus home grown.
Hank
Old August 20, 2010   #30
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Going to store now. I'm going to pick up some paper towels as well, FYI -- saw those mentioned on the first page. (I expect to arrive around 11:00. Try not to be too messy before I get there...)

Might pick up some chips, too.

Christine