Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old September 18, 2013   #1
hank
Tomatovillian™

Default A tomato update

Because I am member of MAGTAG and want to keep something going, I am going to talk about my tomatoes. As some of you know, I raise tomatoes to sell in a PYO fashion, not a big thing (480 plants), and it is more of I like to do it thing. I like hybrids as well as OPs. I spray chlorothalonil on a weekly basis from late July through August. If a bug attacks, I will deliver a chemical attack. The bed was deeply disced. The rows were then ripped to a depth of about 18 inches then gone over with a potato plow to form a shallow trench with a much deeper narrow trench below. Mountain Fresh was my hybrid. Black Krim, Brandywine, German Johnson, Mortgage Lifter, numerous cherries, Rutgers, Kellogs Breakfast, and another hybrid Better Boy were the other varieties. Some observations are thus: Black Krim is one nice tomato with its taste and production. Kellogs was a fantastic producer with huge tomatoes and for me a nice flavor. It was somewhat delicate which made it difficult to pick. BUT I encourage you all to grow at least one Mountain Fresh in your life. Let it ripen fully before you eat it fresh, and if you can it, it works wonderfully. Other qualities are its ability to produce over a long season, its truly gigantic production per plant area, and pest resistance. Do not prune it. And that is my report. Hope to see you all again at least next Summer. Hank
Old September 18, 2013   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Hank. I appreciate it. I will look in to Mountain Fresh.

Charley
Old September 18, 2013   #3
hank
Tomatovillian™

Just figuring a bit. The plants I have are planted 3' by 7'. 480 plants equals about 1/4 acre. I have sold 4 TONS so far with perhaps another ton this weekend. Mountain Fresh accounts for 81% of the total plants. Hank
Old February 8, 2014   #4
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

I love Black Krim!

Christine
Old February 15, 2014   #5
NisiNJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for keeping the conversation going, Hank. Have you decided to try any new varieties in 2014?

I love Kellogg's Breakfast. My favorite for flavor is Brandywine Red. The seeds I had were only the Landis strain; I understand plain B'wine Red is a larger fruit than Landis strain is. Grew it twice; loved it both times.

I hope others will chime in. There seems to be an echo around here. Kind of sad.
Old February 15, 2014   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbva View Post
I love Black Krim!

Christine
Ditto here in Atlanta.
Old February 16, 2014   #7
hank
Tomatovillian™

My intentions at this point are to plant a few Big Beef Hybrid, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Kelloggs Breakfast, Roma, Rutgers, various cherries, and a lot of Mountain Fresh. Brandywine and Brandywine Red will also be compared using a couple of plants each.I'll seed them in March and plant them out in mid to late May. Hopefully by mid August there will be enough to sell, and hopefully I'll be selling them until frost in October. My tomatoes are all pick your own and it has worked pretty well. I'd love to talk to anybody about what I, or you do. Hank
Old February 17, 2014   #8
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

How long are your rows and how do you support the plants?
Is Mountain Fresh any thing like Mountain Spring? I've never grown either but i have tasted MS.

Ken
Old February 17, 2014   #9
hank
Tomatovillian™

Ken, My rows happened to have about 60 plants spaced at 3 feet. I used Florida weave to trellis with stakes every 6 feet and plain sisal baling twine. I had two rows of Mountain Spring last year. These plants were more susceptible to Early Blight and gave out much earlier than their Mountain Fresh brothers.
Hank