Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 6, 2009   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Comments on some of my Mid-Atlantic varieties

Here are some notes on the progress of my "Middies:"

Chesapeake is growing like a monster. I've already had to add an extra tomato pen on top of the original one. It's loaded with large green, slightly cat-faced fruit. Looks promising if it can escape the inevitable blight.

Greater Baltimore, on the other hand, is a somewhat compact plant. It's contained in its pen and hasn't reached the top yet.

Hopkins is wild and rangy, as one would expect of a cherry tom.

Sunray is kind of in the middle, as far as size is concerned. The fruits are really pretty, perfectly round, although still green.

I'll keep you all up to date on these. Although it's not a "Middie," I'm very pleased so far with one of my other newbies - Polish Dwarf. It's actually a very attractive container plant, with its thick "trunks" and rugose leaves, and there are quite a few nice round little fruits growing on it. The only problem is that the birds like to sit on top of its stake, so the leaves are covered with -how you say -guano.
Old July 6, 2009   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Cecilia. I'm actually closer to a Tomatopalooza event than MAGTAG but the title of this thread caught my attention. I grew up in Montgomery County, Maryland so still feel close ties to the state and in Va. now so technically still in the Mid Atlantic.

So is this Hopkins the one named after the family of Edgar Allen Poe's mother? I've always been curious about that one. And though I'm in Virginia Beach now, I live just a couple of blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, so I'll be waiting to hear about the progress of that variety, as well. Thanks for sharing your results.
Old July 7, 2009   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Yup, it's that Hopkins. I thought it would be appropriate to grow it in honor of Poe's 200th birthday. No ripe fruits yet, but there certainly are a lot of them!
Old July 27, 2009   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Just picked my first Sunray the other day, but I still haven't tasted it. I HOPE it's Sunray - my understanding is that it should be an orange variety. The fruit I picked is orange-red. I'll have to check photos of Sunray online.
Old July 27, 2009   #5
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Some good news and bad news about my Mid-Atlantic varieties:

I checked some photos of Sunray, and it looks like mine is too red. I either have a different variety (although the shape looks right), or crossed seed. I hope that some of the other folks that I gave seedlings to have the correct version. Can anybody else who's growing Sunray comment?

On a happier note, some of my fruits this year look like they are going to be HUGE in size (at least for me) - my "Middie" Chesapeake is one. I don't know if any of them will be prizewinners, but Hungarian Heart, Church, and even Black Krim are particularly large this year. I realize that size and taste don't necessarily correlate, but it is a surprise for me. Perhaps it's the red plastic tomato trays?

Hopkins is ripening; it looks just like a yellower version of Sungold, and tastes fine - but no cherry can beat Sungold or Black Cherry, in my opinion. It's rather mild; of course, I realize that the first fruits aren't always indicative of what the 'maters will taste like at the peak of the season.

Greater Baltimore's fruits are still green, but they are very pretty, round, and smooth. They look like they will be medium-sized - larger than, say Stupice, but not huge like a beefsteak variety.
Old July 31, 2009   #6
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Finally got a ripe Chesapeake, although I haven't tasted it yet. DH and I will probably break out the fresh mozzarella over the weekend and try it with some basil. I've attached a photo of yesterday's tomato cache, which includes both Chesapeake and Hopkins. Chesapeake is the big catfaced one on the left. Hopkins is the yellow cherry right below it. So far, Hopkins still tastes pretty bland to me, but that's because Sungold and Black Cherry have spoiled me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july30tomatoes.jpg (214.1 KB, 44 views)
Old September 4, 2009   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Cecilia. How did Greater Baltimore taste? I'm looking into old wilt resistant varieties and am thinking about growing this one, along with Sunray.
Old September 9, 2009   #8
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Michele, I thought GB tasted a little bland, but all my tomatoes were bland this year. My husband loved it, though - he doesn't care for "tangy" tomatoes, and he also likes the fact that it didn't have much of a whithsh "core" compared to some of the other varieties I grew. I will grow it again next season, for my DH, and also to see how it tastes in a "better" year.
Old September 9, 2009   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Cecilia. I think I'll grow just one plant and see how it does for me and if I like it, grow more the following year. I prefer some tang in my tomatoes but I will give it a chance.
Old September 9, 2009   #10
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_MD7a View Post
Michele, I thought GB tasted a little bland, but all my tomatoes were bland this year. My husband loved it, though - he doesn't care for "tangy" tomatoes, and he also likes the fact that it didn't have much of a whithsh "core" compared to some of the other varieties I grew. I will grow it again next season, for my DH, and also to see how it tastes in a "better" year.
I have a husband like that. Poor silly things.

It's somewhat comforting to learn that others' tomatoes were less zingy this year, as mine were. Still pretty darn good, but not like tomatoes of old (two years ago).

Christine
Old September 9, 2009   #11
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Chesapeake was one of the stars down here - even when grown in a paltry "12 gallon" growbag - wonderfully full balanced tangy & sweet - saved a bunch of seed. Red, baseball to softball sized, small core - firmer than a lot of pinks but not at all hard. Awesome Caprese salad, tomato sandwich tomato. Sunray in a bag has produced 4 or 5 beautiful deep orange globes - lovely flavor. Hopkins is very pretty but sited next to Dr. Carolyn which makes Hopkins seem not so good - on the table it is a nice tomato. DelMar in a #&^$# growbag produced 1 or 2 nicely shaped vibrant tasting red fruit - will grow it again. Greater Baltimore & Scarab seedlings had an early unfortunate demise... still can't talk about it... I have been pleased with the Mid-Atlantic grow outs - Chesapeake has been my standout down here - more for next year!
Old September 10, 2009   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I like the idea of growing Chesapeake because it was bred by the University of Maryland (I am a Terp, class of '88) and it's wilt resistant. I know Tanager Song Farm used to sell the seed but I don't know of any commercial source now. Do you? Thanks for any info you may have.
Old September 10, 2009   #13
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I got mine from Chuck Wyatt's heirloom seeds site
Old September 10, 2009   #14
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

That's where I bought mine, too - the website is http://www.heirloomtomatoes.net/.

Chesapeake produced some of my largest tomatoes this year - several 1-lb plus.

I'm going to try Scarab again next year, since none of my seeds germinated.

And if somebody can help me locate seeds for a Hanover tomato (see my thred re: the Baltimore Sun article), I'd like to try that.
Old September 10, 2009   #15
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I didn't think we could still get seeds from there but I guess his neighbor is still doing that. Great. Thank you!