Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old April 9, 2010   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default It's Official - MAGTAG 2010 is Saturday, August 21

I'm just awaiting the paperwork. We will be renting our usual pavilion at Southwest Area Park just outside of Baltimore, MD. More details to come!
Old April 12, 2010   #2
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Thanks Cecelia!
Old May 3, 2010   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I got the paperwork in the mail and it's all official.

I'm bringing along some seedlings to give away at the big swap in Burtonsville this weekend, for those of you who follow that other website.

I also noticed, while searching for a description of DelMar, that Chuck Wyatt's/Donna's website doesn't list it anymore. I can't find any other suppliers online, so if it turns out to be a good mater, I'll need to save seed. If any of you get one of my DelMars at the swap, you might consider doing the same.
Old May 4, 2010   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I have 730 seedlings at my home in 18 oz cups. Then I have another 1000 in reserve in smaller containers bunched together. Crazy really.

I just hope I have a few tomatoes by the time our shin-dig comes around! Nothing is gaurenteed.

Just sprayed the lot with Daconil in hopes of preventing the spread of fungal disease. Looking forward to lots of taste testing!

Greg
Old May 10, 2010   #5
hank
Tomatovillian™

Greg Please tell us what you do with all those plants, and would you consider moving to Winchester and being my neighbor? (:>)

Hank
Old May 11, 2010   #6
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Hey Hank,

Good to hear from you. This weekend a freind sold 154 of my plants as $2 a peice for the Relay-for-Life cancer charity. At my church I sold 100 plants also at $2 a peice from a medical clinic in Hondorus. Next week and the week after there are also some charity events that will see my plants.

I also give away many to freinds. It cool to see folks becoming familiar with Heirlooms (and other op's).

Hows your crop this year?

Greg
Old May 16, 2010   #7
hank
Tomatovillian™

Hows your crop this year?
Seems slow. I've got a thousand babies on the back porch in little pots that my son and I hope to use in a small pick your own patch this year. It was just last week we were running them in and out of the house because of frosts. I really don't know what I'm doing. If it succeeds it's a new business, if not, then a hobby. Looking forward to seeing everybody in August. Hank
Old May 16, 2010   #8
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Cecilia, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I need to find someone to ride with, and I should be able to come. Last year, I seem to remember they predicted a storm (at least what I heard on NJ tv), so I canceled. As it turned out, your weather was great. Go figure..... Just my luck.

Hope you (and everyone) are all doing well.

Maybe I'll win the "drove the most distance" contest. Last time I was there someone came from 1/2 way around the world!!!! Sheesh - can't beat that!!!!

My tomatoes are usually not ready by that time, just my cherries and earlies. But maybe I'll get a good summer this year for a change, and will be lucky enough to bring some beefsteaks for the contest....

And if I can, I'll bring ribs. I'll post a message as the time gets closer.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
Old May 17, 2010   #9
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Hank,

That sounds like a great idea. I have you have the land it seems like its just a numbers game. If you have enough tomato plants then some are bound to survive.

I would think that Sophies Choice would make a nice plant for that sort of think because its a small tough plant that gives you lots of firm, round, red fruit early. I have lots of seedling for that type but little or no land.

Donna,

Hope you can make it. Good to hear from you.

Greg
Old May 18, 2010   #10
hank
Tomatovillian™

Donna,
If I remember correctly, the girl from Hawaii was here for a reason not
related to tomatoes. You were the champion.
Greg,
I'll plant a few Sophie's Choice per your recs. to try out. I'm going with a commercial hybrid called Mountain Fresh for the main variety. 300 Rutgers, 10 Dr. Carolines, 5 Brandywines, 20 Dr. Wyche?sp for customers who may be interested in heirlooms. As for Mountain Fresh, it produced a gigantic yield of large, tough skinned, round, red, bland tasting tomatoes. Turn loose the hounds. Hank
Old May 19, 2010   #11
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Hank,

Rutgers has a long and illustrious rep. Never tried mountain
Fresh but your are doing this for a buisness! Gotta grow what works.

Greg
Old May 31, 2010   #12
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

I'm really looking forward to MAGTAG.

Christine
Old June 1, 2010   #13
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Me too. What types are you growing this year?

I have finally got all my plants in the ground! New stuff this year includes:

Stump of the World
Grand Father Ashlock (very anticipated!)
Berkley Tye Dye Pink
JD's Special Tex C (very anticipated!)
Wes
Silver Fir Tree

The Usual ones include:

Dr. Lyle
Cherokee Purple
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Kellogg's Breakfast
Kosovo
Earl's Faux
Lillian's Yellow
Black Chery
Sungold
Snow White
Dr. Carolyn Pink
Taxi
Prue
Marianna's Peace

My creations:

Emily
Isabel Pink

and a big Morx growout! I am hoping to get a green-when-ripe cherry to name after Sophia. I will call it Sophia's Emerald Ball :-)

Greg
Old June 1, 2010   #14
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

This year's batch comprises:
  • Cherokee Purple
  • Black from Tula
  • Cowlick's
  • Brandywine
  • Rutgers
  • Two cherries: Haley's Purple Comet and Snow White.
I'm wishing now that I'd tried something yellow.

I'm glad Morx is back. That's one awesome cherry.

Christine
Old June 1, 2010   #15
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Christine,

I never tried Haley's Purple Comet or Cowlicks or at least I don't think so. We try so many at this event that its hard to keep them straight!

Snow White is good but it seems variable. My experience is that it was amazing early but became bland later. I was so impressed with its early falvor, however, that I have to try some this year. Perhaps between the both of us we can bring a good representative to MAGTAG. The real suprise is that we have never had a Cherokee Purple at its best at MAGTAG. My guess is that since it is an early variaty (or so it seems) it is always past due by MAGTAG.

As far as MORX goes I am growing the F2's but no F1s so it will not be there officially unless the growout produces a replica. I only have about 18 in the grow out but if I get one that is either the same as MORX or green-when-ripe I will save it and bring it.

Greg